oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window - Summer 2015

glad a couple of others noticed how bad the service was last season, sick of reading that 'the team is fine and just need someone to finish the chances'. We need to be sharper and far more creative in the final 3rd, our goals for stats of 20 odd less than our rivals won't be fixed by just getting a new striker.

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You'd sell our first choice left back (arguably the best in the league), Central midfielder (again arguably the best in the league) and attacking midfielder just to sign 1 striker?

The short sightedness of some people on here baffles me.

So where do we get the money to replace Friend and Leadbitter if we spend it all on one player?

Selling your captain and probably the best LB in the league would be a total disaster for us. He scored 21 goals last season, that doesnt justify selling 2 of your best players to get him.

Problem this season is the service to the strikers. A Left winger is surely our biggest priority. Would rather put the budget towards this and rely on Kike as our main striker, sure he will get 15/20 goals next season

Sorry and sorry again but Kike will not get us enough goals for promotion IMO. Even AK knows thats why he wasn't first choice last season.

He got 10 in his first season in the country being in and out of the team. The service was pretty poor last season tbh, if we did sign someone like Downing then I can see him doing well. Just look at some of his goals this season. At times he looks like a quality player.

Would you pay the money for Downing, get a second striker for a low price and keep Kike as our main striker or sign Rhodes and miss out on Downing?

We can't have it both ways, retain Tomlin and get Downing.   Because Kike got ten goals last season, probably means he will get ten goals this season. he wont be our No 1 striker. He  is not a quality striker, Rhodes is. I would rather have a quality striker than Downing.

So you'd rather have Rhodes, and go into the season with no cover at left back (and our first choice not having much playing time over the last year), two centre midfielders -with the only cover coming from a teenager who hasn't played anywhere near championship level in his career, and no attacking midfielder (assuming we spend all our money on Rhodes, so we can't afford Downing)? Where would the chances for Rhodes come from? If you take away Tomlin and Leadbitter, you'd take away well over 30 goals for last season. It's laughable to suggest that selling 3 of your best players to bring in one player who, while he is a very good finisher, isn't known for creating his chances would be good buisiness. But then again, everyone who argues with you, you proclaim them to be an expert. So maybe you're right, and they are experts compared to you, judging by the shortsightedness of your master plan.

Anyone reckon Bamford may still be a possibility? I feel a lot of the Premiership clubs he is being linked to, he would most likely be back up for as they won't go into the season with an unproven Premiership striker as first choice. There aren't too many Premiership clubs that I think he would go in as first choice. And the longer it goes on without him finding a club the better chance I think we have of getting him on another years loan. Would be great if we could because it would mean we wouldn't have to fork out a load of money on another striker which would free up funds for strengthening elsewhere ie Downing!

The more I think about bamford coming back, the more likely I think it is. He just signed a bumper 5 year deal, so knows his future is secure. I think that might tempt him to have another year at boro as he clearly enjoyed himself here. If he hadn't got that contact extension I think he would have felt he had to prove himself in the prem and couldn't afford to drip down for another year.

Anyone reckon Bamford may still be a possibility? I feel a lot of the Premiership clubs he is being linked to, he would most likely be back up for as they won't go into the season with an unproven Premiership striker as first choice. There aren't too many Premiership clubs that I think he would go in as first choice. And the longer it goes on without him finding a club the better chance I think we have of getting him on another years loan. Would be great if we could because it would mean we wouldn't have to fork out a load of money on another striker which would free up funds for strengthening elsewhere ie Downing!

The more I think about bamford coming back, the more likely I think it is. He just signed a bumper 5 year deal, so knows his future is secure. I think that might tempt him to have another year at boro as he clearly enjoyed himself here. If he hadn't got that contact extension I think he would have felt he had to prove himself in the prem and couldn't afford to drip down for another year.

The heat of the championship does make you melt :D

Not short sighted, just blind to your opinion. nothing wrong with that is there? Or is there, because of course you are an expert, but what in?

If not wanting to sell our two most consistent performers and our most creative player last season to finance a deal that we've been told isn't even on the clubs radar anymore makes me an expert then an expert I am.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with it, I just completely disagree with it and that is what I said in my post, and in my opinion selling those players is an absolutely terrible idea just to get Rhodes.

I'm afraid you did. Saying that my opinion is short sighted implies that you, the expert, is long sighted and therefore your opinion is more valid than mine. i will not argue over over whether you are an expert or not, because as you say, its based on what you have been told about what is on the clubs radar. I'm so glad you are so well informed. But are you really?  or do you just believe what you are told. There is nothing wrong with my opinion, as you say, it just unfortunately does not agree with yours.  Pity that!

You can argue semantics all you want, but I did not say, nor imply, there was anything wrong with your opinion, in my opinion it would be extremely short sighted for the club to do what you've suggested, so I said it.

As for the rest of your post :D

By the sound of it, the expert that you're both looking for is an Optometrist.

:D

Reading into the latest Gazette article, I think we'll only see players who're filling gaps in the starting eleven arrive earlyish in the Transfer Window. A Striker and a Right Back.

The comments that Karanka wants to give some of the U21 Heros a chance to impress in pre-season suggests that we may be looking for some of them to step up and fill the voids.

Not saying all of these will make it to the final consideration of AK's 'two for every role' rule, but I'd say at least one or two of these will impress enough to fill those back-up positions, and we do have options in each position:

- Halliday and Bennett are options for RB

- Dael Fry could be a future Ben Gibson

- Morris and Cooke both look tidy at CM. Priestley Gridfiths maybe, too.

- Harry Chapman is predominantly a RW and looks bloody good.

- Brad Fewster as an option up top, though I expect we'll sign two strikers anyway.

I don't expect us to sign as many players as some on here think we need.

Wigan Athletic have agreed a deal with Dundee United to sign striker Nadir Ciftci, according to Sky sources.

Good, I'd say. Was too high a price for an average player in my eyes.

The more I think about bamford coming back, the more likely I think it is. He just signed a bumper 5 year deal, so knows his future is secure. I think that might tempt him to have another year at boro as he clearly enjoyed himself here. If he hadn't got that contact extension  I think he would have felt he had to prove himself in the prem and couldn't afford to drip down for another year.

I think Bamford would possibly come back again this year but I think JM will want to place him at a premiership club to see how he progresses and to give him premiership experience.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THE TRANSFER WINDOW IS OFFICIALLY OPEN......................................................................................................

Now who does everyone think that we should sign?

Any opinions?

Sounds like the first thing that we need is a decent window cleaner!