oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window - Summer 2015

I wouldn't put Kike in the target man bracket, I don't think he's a back to goal striker but more of a poacher.

Kike is a target man. Maybe not aerially but nearly all last season we relied on him to hold the ball up and bring others in to play. Something he does very well.

That whole point of a target man is him being good in the air. That's a target man's bread and butter!

And I think we relied on him, but I wouldn't say we were particularly effective with him up top on his own in the TM role.

kike needed someone close to him, he never had decent support all season tomlin deserted him and the wide men stayed wide. all the stick he gets is totally uncalled for. he has a lot of ability and now pro's like stuani an downing in and around him, like others have said he'll start to look better. bamford did better beause vossen linked with him. vossen and kike were to similar to play together so never did (well once)

I agree with you DK, Kike got far to much stick of some people last season... Given the chance this season I think he will be brilliant, Signings like Downing will bring out the best in him.

• Replies 23.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly, I wouldn't class Crouch as a target man, or say he's particularly good in the air.

Being good in the air is a key quality, but being able to play with your back to goal and link in other players is obviously the number one attribute. For me, Kike doesn't have that ability.

I wouldn't put Kike in the target man bracket, I don't think he's a back to goal striker but more of a poacher.

Kike is a target man. Maybe not aerially but nearly all last season we relied on him to hold the ball up and bring others in to play. Something he does very well.

That whole point of a target man is him being good in the air. That's a target man's bread and butter!

And I think we relied on him, but I wouldn't say we were particularly effective with him up top on his own in the TM role.

kike needed someone close to him, he never had decent support all season tomlin deserted him and the wide men stayed wide. all the stick he gets is totally uncalled for. he has a lot of ability and now pro's like stuani an downing in and around him, like others have said he'll start to look better. bamford did better beause vossen linked with him. vossen and kike were to similar to play together so never did (well once)

I agree with you DK, Kike got far to much stick of some people last season... Given the chance this season I think he will be brilliant, Signings like Downing will bring out the best in him.

The stick he got was never due to his all-round game though, it was about his finishing, some of which was brilliant... brentford, fulham etc, but some of his finishing was truely awful, yes Bamford and Vossen missed chances too, but Kike missed an absolute boatload before he found himself playing second fiddle. If his finishing doesnt improve, having Downing/Stuani making chances for him wont mean a great deal, in all likelihood he will score more goals, because we'll create more chances, but if his finishing doesnt drastically improve the fans will still have a reason to complain, and rightly so.

Kike scored 9 goals with no penalties and came off the bench in 17 games out of 42 he played. Remember at the start of last season when he got off to a flyer and everyone thought he was a bargain?

Will definitely hit the 15 goal mark at least this season given some decent game time!

I don't think Kike is a bad player. But the one thing that does really irritate me about him is his greediness. Now I know a goalscorer needs to be greedy but there were times last season when he was taking on shots from ridiculous positions and ridiculous angles when there were players in support who just needed the ball squared to them and they would have been left with a tap in. I know he's determined to score goals and that's great but I would rather the team score more and him less than him being top scorer in the league but nobody else scoring because he won't pass.

Firstly, I wouldn't class Crouch as a target man, or say he's particularly good in the air.

Being good in the air is a key quality, but being able to play with your back to goal and link in other players is obviously the number one attribute. For me, Kike doesn't have that ability.

yes i see what your saying for example crouch is really good at heading but not great when trying to win a duel for flicks ons or lay offs etc.

back to goal is always difficult, kike is good with the ball at his feet but he likes to turn to the goal and try to take on defenders. then often shrugged off the ball. its a bad tactic by him. he should be thinking more lay off get into the box. which is what stuani seemed to do lots in the clips i've seen of him. kike tries to do to much. it was hopefully that first season must impress sort of over trying attitude. when he realises giving the ball to downing he will maybe get the ball back in a good area he might be more inclined to do the simple thing.(see having downing in the team might make players play better, without us even realising)

I don't think Kike is a bad player. But the one thing that does really irritate me about him is his greediness. Now I know a goalscorer needs to be greedy but there were times last season when he was taking on shots from ridiculous positions and ridiculous angles when there were players in support who just needed the ball squared to them and they would have been left with a tap in. I know he's determined to score goals and that's great but I would rather the team score more and him less than him being top scorer in the league but nobody else scoring because he won't pass.

I think that's probably more down to lack of positional awareness and composure, he probably had no idea what position the other players were in as he won't have looked up.

The stick he got was never due to his all-round game though, it was about his finishing, some of which was brilliant... brentford, fulham etc, but some of his finishing was truely awful, yes Bamford and Vossen missed chances too, but Kike missed an absolute boatload before he found himself playing second fiddle. If his finishing doesnt improve, having Downing/Stuani making chances for him wont mean a great deal, in all likelihood he will score more goals, because we'll create more chances, but if his finishing doesnt drastically improve the fans will still have a reason to complain, and rightly so.

being isolated and barely involved is hardly going to make kike better in front of goal. his confidence level dropped off. he wanted to be more involved and trying hard to impress when you dont get into the game is tough on him. he'll have settled in now. look at some of his goals late season. brilliant finishes, dont remember him missing many later in the season on the odd occasion he got a game. bamford on the other hand missed loads, but i'm not interested in him he isnt a boro player kike is.

Kike is in the Tomlin bracket for me. People only remember what they want to remember.

Vice-Versa to Tomlin, Kike was a world beater at the start of the season then tailed off after he realised he wasn't guaranteed a starting berth. If his attitude is adjusted this term, Kike could be a fantastic striker at this level.

Judging by the photo's on Twitter, I think an important person to bring in is a dietician for Tomlin :D

Tomlins physique has not changed over the past year. He is a fit guy and v Wolves in April as an example was running and making himself available for the full 94 mins. He is one of the best players in this league and I cannot think of anyone else in the division that can unlock defences like him.

Judging by the photo's on Twitter, I think an important person to bring in is a dietician for Tomlin :D

Tomlins physique has not changed over the past year. He is a fit guy and v Wolves in April as an example was running and making himself available for the full 94 mins. He is one of the best players in this league and I cannot think of anyone else in the division that can unlock defences like him.

Downing????

Kike is in the Tomlin bracket for me. People only remember what they want to remember.

Vice-Versa to Tomlin, Kike was a world beater at the start of the season then tailed off after he realised he wasn't guaranteed a starting berth. If his attitude is adjusted this term, Kike could be a fantastic striker at this level.

you might have a point there, he maybe thought he was going to be star man. could be why he tried to do to much on his own. which was spotted by AK and after that he was sub. his confidence took a hit to could have been told why he was benched. :)

although he must have got over it, impressed me again later in the season.

Have you seen the picture on Twitter? I am one of Tomlins biggest defenders but he has arrived at pre season way above the weight he finished last season.