oneBoro Forum

Boro V York City (A) Friendly 1-0

Don't know why this hasn't occurred to me before but left wingers can play on the right and vise versa, how come it's not the same for full backs? I can think of some reasons: booting the ball clear with the foot closest to the touchline, able to cross without cutting inside, and better at tackling on one side than the other? If that's all it is then could Husband play at right back? There must be something huge I'm missing because LB's hardly ever play RB or vise versa.

All the best to baptiste, what rank bad luck.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If anyone remembers Parnaby filling in at left back when Queudrue was suspended, they wouldn't advocate full backs switching flanks at all!

Would work against a winger who was also on the opposite flank and was cutting inside constantly I suppose, but they'd get turned inside out by a winger playing in his natural position as their dominant foot would always be their back foot when tackling

Don't know why this hasn't occurred to me before but left wingers can play on the right and vise versa, how come it's not the same for full backs? I can think of some reasons: booting the ball clear with the foot closest to the touchline, able to cross without cutting inside, and better at tackling on one side than the other? If that's all it is then could Husband play at right back? There must be something huge I'm missing because LB's hardly ever play RB or vise versa.

Tackling with your bad foot can be difficult. You automatically set up to tackle with your good foot. You can learn though

When you defend, you get side on to show people either down the line or inside, fullbacks who are quick generally show people down the line because they have the pace to shut the wingers out, if you do that, you stand side on with your weak foot forward so if the ball goes down the line where you want it to go, your pushing off onto your strong foot and tackling with your strong foot, if you were playing on the wrong side so to speak, you'd always be pushing yourself onto your weaker foot and tackling with your weaker foot. If you were going to show the forward player inside all game, it wouldnt be a problem because they would be going onto your strong side, but thats not good defending, especially if its close to the box.