oneBoro Forum

Place To Moan About Stuff...

Whilst on the media I detest the anti referee narrative football has. Every match they question and criticise referees but never players. They even have ***ing stupid phrases like 'no one wants to see a man sent off','its a soft one' and 'by the letter of the law'.

I mean 'by the letter of the law' you might as well say 'Well if we are going to play by the laws of the game'

• Replies 681
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Whilst on the media I detest the anti referee narrative football has. Every match they question and criticise referees but never players. They even have *** stupid phrases like 'no one wants to see a man sent off','its a soft one' and 'by the letter of the law'.

I mean 'by the letter of the law' you might as well say 'Well if we are going to play by the laws of the game'

Totally agree with that. Remember having arguments with Man U fans when Nani Bruce-Lee-flying-kicked Arbeloa in the chest, that the ref had "spoiled the game" when he sent him off, yada yada yada...

On the flip side though I don't like the immunity that refs seem get from criticism when they make a massively wrong decision. At the end of the day though, I'm one of those guys who thinks that the 4th official should have access to TV cameras to advise the referee on big decisions, just like they do in every other reputable sport.

I hate media training full stop for athletes. It just leads to dull pointless interviews. I'd rather they say something offensive than the usual banal platitudes. At least it would be genuine.

Agree with this. Also the brand of 'safe questioning' reporters go through. Adds absolutely nothing to the experience

'You've just won your first gold medal and set a world record in doing so - how do you feel?'

Me : ''I'm over the f*****g moon mate, as if I'm the best in the world at shot putt. Not just now, but ever. It was probably all the practise I had as a kid when me and me dad used to nick the copper cable off Wilton, used to have to throw it over the fence near the Grangetown gate. I tell you what though, I would like to dedicate this gold medal to Mrs Robinson from my old school, the fat cow who said I would never amount to anything because I was from a council estate, how you like me now biiiiiiaaatch. Right anyway I'm offski, I've been training like a motherf****ker for 4 years, I'm going for a pint then I'm going to see if one of the Brazillian volleyball team will let me wear their legs as a scarf. Laters.''

Interviewer: ''.....''

• Like 1

I hate media training full stop for athletes. It just leads to dull pointless interviews. I'd rather they say something offensive than the usual banal platitudes. At least it would be genuine.

Agree with this. Also the brand of 'safe questioning' reporters go through. Adds absolutely nothing to the experience

'You've just won your first gold medal and set a world record in doing so - how do you feel?'

Me : ''I'm over the f*****g moon mate, as if I'm the best in the world at shot putt. Not just now, but ever. It was probably all the practise I had as a kid when me and me dad used to nick the copper cable off Wilton, used to have to throw it over the fence near the Grangetown gate. I tell you what though, I would like to dedicate this gold medal to Mrs Robinson from my old school, the fat cow who said I would never amount to anything because I was from a council estate, how you like me now biiiiiiaaatch. Right anyway I'm offski, I've been training like a motherf****ker for 4 years, I'm going for a pint then I'm going to see if one of the Brazillian volleyball team will let me wear their legs as a scarf. Laters.''

That has a certain Adebayo Akinfenwa about it. A Teesside equivalent, perhaps.

• 2 months later...

Brilliant! Really did make me LaughOutLoud!

The length of time it takes for Match Day threads to go up should be quicker.

I think they should be up by Tuesday at the latest as it will create more traffic and more posts. The EG are covering everything before we even have an designated thread. Maybe the Mods should allow a thread to be made and then incorporated into a more official thread?