oneBoro Forum

Disruption, thread derailments, spam and bans.

The "Transfer Window" thread suffered severe disruption on Friday evening and the offending parties have suffered the consequences or they will do, shortly.

Like the rest of the members, the forum's mod team tend to log on and off at various times of the day and sometimes the boards go unmoderated for a while and that is what happened on Friday evening. It's bound to happen from time to time and. like now, there will be occasions where a solitary mod is present.

At such times, in fact at all times, it would greatly assist the moderation process if members would click the Report button instead of replying to provocative posts. There is a Report button down at the bottom right corner of every post.

Above all, don't re-quote provocative material because it just makes it more difficult to clean up afterwards. Also, it's often exactly what a trouble-maker wants you to do because it lets him re-quote you (and himself), thereby exacerbating the problem.

For the record, I'm not talking about threads getting temporarily derailed by friendly banter because that's the very life-blood of the forum.

A closely related matter that people have commented on is the apparent increase in the number of disruptive elements on the forum in recent days. Unfortunately, that's partly an unintended consequence of fixing the spate of problems that members were experiencing a few weeks back when trying to log on via mobiles devices. What happened was that members were getting allocated (by their telcos) IP addresses that were in certain banned blocks of addresses that had been widely flagged as being home to numerous spammers and trouble-makers. We lifted the bans and members stopped getting those troublesome "You are banned" messages.

So far, so good, except that we have subsequently seen a rising tide of spammers creating new accounts!

Which brings me on to why we have recently seen complaints from would-be members getting banned, even before they have had a chance to post. Those unintended consequences have surfaced again, I'm afraid and a valid new member or two could have been erroneously identified as spammers and pre-emptively banned. Prospective members should note that a friendly post from a friendly user name can help avoid this happening to you.

Anyway, I thought everyone would like to know some of the whys and wherefores of what has been going on lately. Please, people, be patient with us because we're as keen as you are that the forum should continue being a pleasant meeting place for all devotees of our beloved Boro.

Yes indeed thanks for that Bugrit, I actually forgot to log off last night so was not aware. I think our latest problem is our old friend whose user name was similar to whats up!

Yes indeed thanks for that Bugrit, I actually forgot to log off last night so was not aware. I think our latest problem is our old friend whose user name was similar to whats up!

Why would he be bothering us when he has the most popular boro forum on the web?

They have badges as well you know ;)

I completely forgot about him.

Is he STILL hassling us?

Jesus.

I came online last night thought "bugger that" and logged back out.

Still a little dubious to post today, I think I might be easily put off.... :(

It's idiots like that guy that posted last night that can give the forum a bad reputation but the moderators on here do a great job. Please don't forget that all the mods on here offer their time for free and do it for the love of discussing all things Boro. It can be a quite stressful job tbh especially when you get some empty head causing trouble so please cut them some slack.

Not criticising the moderation at all. I have and do still moderate forums on the internet and know how difficult it can be to keep on top of things like this...