• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Almost looks like we're set up to play for a draw.

At home.

To Bolton.

Pretty harsh.

And spectacularly wrong.

Yeah, when I saw the team I just saw it as a list, not the formation. Didn't realise we were playing wingbacks. I'm a stupid head.

We didn't play wing backs. We played exactly the same formation we play in most games, it's just the tactics within that formation which really change our approach. A lot of fans (especially the ones who can't/don't get to the games) have jumped on the bandwagon of slagging aitor off for setting up with one up top and two holding midfielders. People need to get off his back for this, the formation is interchangeable and has brought us much success. Aitor clearly told the full backs to bomb on and gave leadbitter licence to go forward yesterday, that's the only difference.

I am very confused at how Watford didn't get enough out of Fabbrini to keep him around. He completely changed how we played against Preston for the better (though of course couldn't make the difference unfortunately), it sounds like he played well against Oldham and yesterday he was just different class.

Bolton were very poor yesterday so I won't get too carried away, but hopefully we can see more performances like that this season.

Maybe he played like that for them as well but infrequently so he didn't offer enough over time?  Maybe he'll be exactly like that for us? Bolton were abysmal yesterday and every assessment should strongly consider that point.  They were defensively as bad as I've seen at Boro for some time.

I heard that we tried to buy Fabrini and were also in to take Nathan Ake on loan, Watford didn't want to sell but offered us a loan deal if we dropped our interest in Ake

Haven't read all the threads on here as just got back from a weekend up north for the match but my points would be as follows. Apologies if already covered

Diego - Magical feet and set to be a star. Can we persuade Watford to sell him permanently before the window closes

Kike - Looked the player we thought we had bought and took his goals very well. Nugent /Stuani will have to wait if he can keep this up

Downing - Class. Should have scored but always looked like he had a few seconds more than anyone else on the ball

Albert - Great feet and always looks great going forward but really needs to get a better end product. Perhaps Downing can teach him to cross

Stuani - Never got into it but very early days still

Nugent - Good movement and a promising cameo

Both the Nsue/Adomah and Friend/ Downing combos worked very well albeit against limited opposition

Overall best first half we have seen for many a year

On the downside we should have easily had 5 , but thats maybe a bit churlish. First half has to be the benchmark for the rest of the season

Think that is a good idea though generally the highlights are always posted towards the end of the specific games thread, however would not be adverse to seeing a maintained Boro Highlight thread which could be a sticky for the season.

A volunteer needed TB perhaps you?

That would be a good idea.

Not read through the thread yet in depth as it was my birthday yesterday and I was a little pre-occupied.

Just a few notes...

Fabbrini's first touch is absolutely magic and is going to be a huge asset when teams "park the bus." His first movement creates space where there is none. Tomlin never did this. He always took a touch to get the ball under. To do what Fabbrini does is next level.

Downing is a class apart. His movement, his passing, his technique, his brain...all a class above anything else in the pitch.

Adomah was almost unplayable. One of the best performances I e seen from him.

Just to finish did anyone think Leadbitter and Clayton were too defensive and detrimental to our performance?

How anyone can criticise those two after last season and the way they've continued from last season is beyond me.

That would be a good idea.

Not read through the thread yet in depth as it was my birthday yesterday and I was a little pre-occupied.

Just a few notes...

Fabbrini's first touch is absolutely magic and is going to be a huge asset when teams "park the bus." His first movement creates space where there is none. Tomlin never did this. He always took a touch to get the ball under. To do what Fabbrini does is next level.

Downing is a class apart. His movement, his passing, his technique, his brain...all a class above anything else in the pitch.

Adomah was almost unplayable. One of the best performances I e seen from him.

Just to finish did anyone think Leadbitter and Clayton were too defensive and detrimental to our performance?

How anyone can criticise those two after last season and the way they've continued from last season is beyond me.

We looked sluggish against Preston but the cobwebs have been utterly blown away. Thought they were both terrific during the game, playing very different roles. It was great to see Grant unshackled and pushing towards the box and though Clayton sat perfectly to allow the rest of the midfield the freedom to run. Commanding midfield display.  :heart:

I don't think it was anything to do with either CM being sluggish against Preston but more the way Preston set up. Preston's back line were camped deep, their WB pushed up on Reach and Adomah and their three midfielders drowing Leadbitter, Clayton and Downing. They did a professional job of nullifying our threats. The centre midfield had very little options throughout the game because Preston had it covered. Few teams will play against us that way at their home ground this season.

Did anyone see that miss by Nugent? I haven't seen it, but apparently it was a bad one. ;)

Bolton's number 2 got a toe end onto the cross which took it away from Nugent. It's not noticeable on the highlights but there was definitely a touch before Nugent got to it.

Did anyone see that miss by Nugent? I haven't seen it, but apparently it was a bad one. ;)

Bolton's number 2 got a toe end onto the cross which took it away from Nugent. It's not noticeable on the highlights but there was definitely a touch before Nugent got to it.

I thought the ball arrived with some pace and equally Nugent was going at some pace, I can understand how it could be difficult.