oneBoro Forum

Boro V Derby County (A) 1-1

We lost two points simply because we tried to defend a lead for 45 minutes. We should have came away with 3 yet we only come home with 1. Lapse in concentration maybe? The defence have it all to do when we dont push for a second to kill off a game.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Win vs Bristol City, lose against Wednesday because they're our bogey side, win the 2 successive home games after that, that'll take us to 14 points from 7 games. I'd be pleased with that. Get any sort of result from Wednesday away and I'll be ecstatic with the start.

We lost two points simply because we tried to defend a lead for 45 minutes. We should have came away with 3 yet we only come home with 1. Lapse in concentration maybe? The defence have it all to do when we dont push for a second to kill off a game.

Weren't we doing the same thing at Derby last season and came away with a win?

The goal was a lapse in concentration by Adomah. Had he tracked back, as he had the rest of the game, he would of been in place to get in the way of Russell's shot or clear it away from him. Just one of those things, players were tired, Adomah has played a lot already this season so not surprised.

I've just got back from the game now and for some reason I feel pretty devastated even though I would've gladly taken a draw before the game. It was just in the circumstances where we were 1-0 up for pretty much the whole game to only go and conceed in the 88th minute which is just typical, it almost feels like we've lost 2 points rather than gained 1. Plus the taunting from being stood pretty close to the Derby fans didn't make it any easier but hey they're the ones who haven't won a game yet. Absolutely amazing support and atmosphere from the Boro fans as per usual almost non stop singing throughout the whole game

Ok well that explains why Nugent did not get game time as I feel with his previous record he might very well have been brought on, not worried about Stuani in any way shape or form.

What I will say is that I have witnessed and listened to both our away games and feel that had we been a bit more adventurous and not so defensive in midfield we would most likely had more than 2 points to show from it.

Yes it is great that we are hard to beat but slip ups happen, and so surely it has to be the minimum aim of scoring twice when you take the lead? or at least be more productive in retaining and keeping the ball away from the opposition.

Talk about over the top reactions.... Disappointing to concede late but a good point away from home against a team that will be there or there about come the end of the season. More positivity required. Bring on Bristol

I thought we were very poor second half. I was pretty deflated last night, but now that I've slept on it, a draw was decent and I would have taken it.

A few points:

- AK should really have changed things round before he did

- I'm sure he didn't tell the players to sit back at HT, but when they did, he should have done something because that goal was coming.

- Reach played well when he came on

- Now that I know about Nugent, it makes sense - I was screaming for him to come on

- Stuani didn't do a thing. I have hopes for him, but not based on last night

- Derby fans are rubbish

I'm not going to read through the rest of the thread because just from what I've seen on this page it sounds like a load of whinging. We probably won't face a better team on their own turf this season, and some of our players are clearly still gelling. Not devestated at all.Onwards and upwards.

Yes well done Kike and long may it continue, good record last night scoring from one of two chances and had the second one been taken then the game was ours certainly.

He has shown he is very capable of taking his chances and I hope to see him start whenever he can as he is a confidence player.

I have not seen too many ott reactions to be fair but some fair considered criticism at certain aspects of our game away from home.

As we seem to play the same way (formations) both home and away you would think the attacking intensity would be pretty much the same and so why the clear we shall hold to what we have got seems a dangerous thing to do at times

With all due respect to posters - if you weren't at Oldham, you can't really make a proper judgement on Stuani. I was there and thought he looked very good, but obviously a player who needs game time and to find his feel at this level.

Before long he'll be the new scapegoat on here, like Reach is for some bizarre reason

Stuani has a lot to learn about English football. He's still very naive in the way he approaches the game. I'd take him out the fold for a month to get him up to speed. There's clearly a player in there as he has some good attributes. He's aggressive, attacks the aerial ball and gets himself in the box.

I agree with your very fair appraisal DS, you could be a diplomat!

The frustration for me is that from last season we always seemed to take our foot off the pedal and sit back to defend the rest of the match if we take the lead thinking we've already done enough to win it.

Some matches last season we turned up with the wrong attitude, and sometimes we developed the wrong attitude during the game after going into the lead. But as shown last night, you can defend brilliantly, but if all you do is defend then sooner or later the ball will bounce for the team trying to make things happen.

Like DS has said, when we are attacking our goal is not under threat so we should spend more time on the front foot when leading games, not just rely on zero mistakes defensively for 45 minutes. I'm amazed we haven't learned this from last season, STILL.

The problem is when we concede we've got no means of changing the direction of the game because we have retracted so far into our shells. The turtle's head is a mile away by that time. And the only reason I'm highlighting this now is because imo it was AK's biggest failing last season. We have to drop this sit back and defend a 1-0 lead tactic. Whether it comes from the players or the coach, we must embrace a more positive mindset when we're in the lead.

We are joint favourites for the league, we've got to be intending on wining all but a handful of games. To settle for a point when we're leading isn't the mindset of champions, and I really feel this is a mental issue we face. We know we can play very well on the front foot, we know when we sit back and invite pressure we can do nothing to react once conceding.

I'm not happy with a point from that match, it was a 6 pointer, we had 6, we left with zero. I wasn't even happy with a point before the match, this is a game we could have and should have won. AK and the lads have set their targets at the highest possible level, so we have to expect more than last season. We have to be dissatisfied with dropping points, we have to develop the mindset of champions! It's not whining, it's just being realistic.

This is early days I know, but many were bemoaning how our poor start to last season costing us dearly. If we miss out by two pints this time...

I am fully 100% behind AK, I think what he's done so far is incredible. I just implore him to be less defensive when we're winning games. Stay on the front foot boro, we have the players to do it!

Oh and GET IN KIKE!!!!!!

Like DS has said, when we are attacking our goal is not under threat so we should spend more time on the front foot when leading games, not just rely on zero mistakes defensively for 45 minutes. I'm amazed we haven't learned this from last season, STILL

I guess this is where you and Karanka have different philosophies. He clearly believes that when you push bodies forward and attack you leave your self far more susceptible to conceding.

Just my opinion, but if we had just dropped points at home to this season's equivalent to Blackpool through trying to defend a 1-0 lead then I could understand. But we didn't. We were away to the bookies favourites prior to the season's kick off. They're a good team with a huge amount of threat up front, and we decided that our defence was good enough to contain them, much like we did against Norwich away last year. Had it worked we would all be saying why a superb away performance it was. As it is we nearly held on but didn't, but let's not start suggesting that we are 'reverting to type' by trying to defend a 1-0 lead away to one of the league's best sides.

That sort of performance will see up pick up 3 points away from home a lot more than it sees us pick up 1 or 0.