oneBoro Forum

Boro V Derby County (A) 1-1

A few thoughts from myself...

- happy with a point. Derby played some good stuff. We scored against the run and defended for our lives. We lacked composure on the ball and that resulted in us losing the ball and turning over possession more often than was healthy. This brought Derby in to us with wave after wave of attack. Slightly disappointed Karanka let us continue that way personally as a goal seemed inevitable to me.

- Gibson and Ayala were fantastic, particular Gibson. Always in the right place at the right time. What a gem.

- we need to learn to break out of defence as a team. Too many times last night individual were counter attacking and no one was supporting the ball. Whether that was Kike or Stuani not providing an option to hold the ball or midfielders not showing for a pass, it needs to improve. There was space to be exploited and we wasted it time after time.

- Fabbrini is great but he's a 70 minute player. Three games I've seen him and three times his legs have gone 2/3 in to the game. Not a criticism, it is what it is, just an observation.

- Derby will be top 6 this season. They still pass the ball as well as they did last season and Martin is a danger when they're pumping balls in to the box.

- The ref was ***e.

- Leadbitter and Clayton were excellent again. Playing the same old game they've played for the last season and a bit. Our attacking emphasis is more reliant on the front four firing than these two.

Again good point. Roll on three more Saturday.

• Replies 730
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

We lost two points simply because we tried to defend a lead for 45 minutes. We should have came away with 3 yet we only come home with 1. Lapse in concentration maybe? The defence have it all to do when we dont push for a second to kill off a game.

Weren't we doing the same thing at Derby last season and came away with a win?

The goal was a lapse in concentration by Adomah. Had he tracked back, as he had the rest of the game, he would of been in place to get in the way of Russell's shot or clear it away from him. Just one of those things, players were tired, Adomah has played a lot already this season so not surprised.

Just rewatched the highlights, am I the only one who thinks the Ayala is just as responsible, the ball shouldnt have got through. Onwards and upwards

We offered more attacking intent last season. Last night we just flat out say back and waited for attack after attack whilst trying (in vain) to counter attack without committing significant numbers forward. Half ***d counter attacks if you will.

Quick summary of last night

- I see that game as 2 points dropped but before the game i would of taken a point at derby as long as we beat them at our place which i think we will.

- We defended brilliantly last night apart from the goal, which i blame adomah for not tracking back im getting increasingly annoyed with him i think hes our weak link in the chain hes lazy with tracking back n im not just talking about the derby game. Im talking about so far this season if i was karanka id put him in his place by putting nsue on the right wing for a couple of games and letting adomah watch from the bench.

- The ref gave us nothing im not saying that changed the result but its difficult enough getting a victory away against a decent derby side without the ref making it harder.

-special mention to gibson coming back from injury and he performed really well last night won every header

It is hard not to finger point at players but mistakes happen at crucial parts of nearly every game I have ever seen but simply and it is an old cliché you win as a team and you lose as a team!

Boro hopefully will not have too many similar situations again away from home this season and will learn from last nights game, I firmly still think it was the right time to play Derby and in the grand scheme of things we will not be getting as many points this time against them as we did last time.

Yes it was for me 2 points dropped but I am the first to say that roles reversed I would have been delighted as it would have been a point gained and with a different euphoria about it.

We move on, the game has gone but we are still unbeaten so far

Did not get to the game last night so I have only managed to see the highlights, but very happy with the point, beat Bristol City on Saturday and 8 points from the first 4 games and unbeaten, that will do nicely. My point is that we have now played 4 games in 8 days at the start of the season where not all the players will be up to maximum fitness, no wonder there are lapses of concentration and funnelling back to defend a lead, some of them must be knackered!

• Like 1

Did not get to the game last night so I have only managed to see the highlights, but very happy with the point, beat Bristol City on Saturday and 8 points from the first 4 games and unbeaten, that will do nicely. My point is that we have now played 4 games in 8 days at the start of the season where not all the players will be up to maximum fitness, no wonder there are lapses of concentration and funnelling back to defend a lead, some of them must be knackered!

I was about to post the same thing. 3 points next Saturday will equal a good start to the season for me.

Didn't we win 2-0 last year against a stronger Derby team? That is my only concern.

Beat Bristol and we have 8pts from 4 games, keep that ratio up and we will be promoted. No reason to panic yet. Granted I expected us to beat Preston and draw with Derby but you can't have it all! We will get a surprise result somewhere else this season to make up for it I'm sure

I think youve under estimated Derby. They're a very good side at home. They dominate possession and took the game to us, even with key players missing. A point at Derby this season is a good one. As was a point at Preston.

Like DS has said, when we are attacking our goal is not under threat so we should spend more time on the front foot when leading games, not just rely on zero mistakes defensively for 45 minutes. I'm amazed we haven't learned this from last season, STILL

I guess this is where you and Karanka have different philosophies. He clearly believes that when you push bodies forward and attack you leave your self far more susceptible to conceding.

Or maybe not: "It was not as great a performance as Saturday, we didn't play in our way..." AK.

I think youve under estimated Derby. They're a very good side at home. They dominate possession and took the game to us, even with key players missing. A point at Derby this season is a good one. As was a point at Preston.

I agree with this Humpty, we have played potentially our nearest rivals for the league and come back with a very valuable point. We have also played Preston a team set up to defend in depth and spoil at every opportunity, the aim being to consolidate in this division, (one goal scored none conceded so far for them). Two very difficult games where we have dug in and got back on the bus with points in the bag, whilst in between playing Bolton off the park. It is, I think, a sign of our ambition that some still feel a little dissatisfied with this, I think we need a sense of perspective, no one will run away with this league this season, it will be a marathon slog fro beginning to end, and we will get better as the new players settle in. These are exciting happy days, just enjoy the ride.

A draw away at one of the favouriItes , unbeaten, our supposed 3 rd striker is league top scorer

Some of the comments last night were completely over the top. But i should have expected it as its the same every time we dont win

A few thoughts from myself...

- happy with a point. Derby played some good stuff. We scored against the run and defended for our lives. We lacked composure on the ball and that resulted in us losing the ball and turning over possession more often than was healthy. This brought Derby in to us with wave after wave of attack. Slightly disappointed Karanka let us continue that way personally as a goal seemed inevitable to me.

- Gibson and Ayala were fantastic, particular Gibson. Always in the right place at the right time. What a gem.

- we need to learn to break out of defence as a team. Too many times last night individual were counter attacking and no one was supporting the ball. Whether that was Kike or Stuani not providing an option to hold the ball or midfielders not showing for a pass, it needs to improve. There was space to be exploited and we wasted it time after time.

- Fabbrini is great but he's a 70 minute player. Three games I've seen him and three times his legs have gone 2/3 in to the game. Not a criticism, it is what it is, just an observation.

- Derby will be top 6 this season. They still pass the ball as well as they did last season and Martin is a danger when they're pumping balls in to the box.

- The ref was ***.

- Leadbitter and Clayton were excellent again. Playing the same old game they've played for the last season and a bit. Our attacking emphasis is more reliant on the front four firing than these two.

Again good point. Roll on three more Saturday.

I'd agree with this. My one criticism of the game plan would be that when the pressure really built up in the last 10 minutes we hadn't made our changes early enough to counter it. Once Fabbrini went off we lacked composure to hang on to the ball and there were a few times we put ourselves under pressure with poor decision making. That said, it's early in the season and they've had 3 games in quick succession and there were some tired legs out there late on.

I also thought the ref was awful. I don't know if I'm just biased but it seems like almost every ref is against the Boro, pulling us up for the slightest thing, while allowing the opposition to maul our players. But then refereeing quality in this division leaves a lot to be desired anyway!

Didn't we win 2-0 last year against a stronger Derby team? That is my only concern.

Yes, at the Riverside, when we were full of confidence and were gelling. You can't compare that to an away game when we're still working on a lot of things.