oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Bristol City 0-1

Four games in. yes today there were mistakes but we still have 11 well paid professionals out there, it was not our day, these things happen. However if say after 10 games the same obvious flaws in both the way we play and not playing your best team is clearly having an adverse effect points and results wise then that will be the time to get concerned.

As of right now we are not one of the best teams in the division, we have a lot of hard work to do and some soul searching by those parties whom upon our hopes lay with

I still maintain that, despite not necessarily agreeing with the reasons for changes, it shouldn't have mattered. 11 well paid professionals is exactly what it was out there but too many of said professionals failed to try hard enough. I can't stress how disappointed I was with the attitude of many of our players. They need to take a long hard look at themselves and stop believing they're any better individually than the opposition. If they're premier league class then they need to show it every single minute and fight for the team. Where was the intensity to our game that Karanka keeps speaking about?

Strange comments.....

What does how much they get paid have to do with anything? It certainly wasnt a lack of effort that cost us today

Everything to me James, their effort was simply not good enough, yes we can cover it in cotton wool a little due to the AK influence today but as a paying fan today I certainly do not want to watch that kind of performance too many times at games I manage to get too.

Nothing but nothing on display today showed we are auto promotion candidates :)

Thats going to happen though, we are the team to beat this year, if a well organised team like Bristol gets the first goal they will sit back the rest of the game and its up to us to break them down, its not easy when they have 10 men behind the ball and the keeper plays like that.

Couldnt fault anyone for a lack of effort, just a lack of creativity (which is 100% due to the team selection IMO)

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Simply Karanka got it wrong, too many changes resulted in an unbalanced coerherent team, he took Bristol City for granted as a poor side, we have shown so many times that if we go a goal behind we haven't the guyle to get things back, I said they were a bogey team but didn't expect that, anyway my take on things;

Dimi: 8  my MOM kept it to 0-1

Nsue 7 good offensively, still not convinced he's a defender

Kalas 4 totally out bullied by their CF so many times the wrong side

Ayala 7 solid but not good at passing

Friend 8 100% as usual

Clapton 7 broke up play as usual but too defensive

Lead better 4 passing poor too slow to move the ball forward

Downing 5 never really got into the game

Stuanni 3 not sure where' he was playing and not sure he knew either

Wileshutt 6 looked lost at first but came more into the.game until he was subbed

Nugents 5 tried to come to deep for the ball, not on the same wavelength as his team mates

Adomah 7 tried hard as ever over hit his 1st few crosses but always looked threatening

Borrini 5 always tried to go forward but over elaborated at times

Like 6 never got into the game

In short too many players out of position and playing Leadbetter & Clapton at home is too defensive

Like [who, ok you mean Kike]

Borrini - the guy who plays for Liverpool maybe

Jesus, I give in, how could you get so many names wrong, [Clapton, Nugents and Wileshutt, really]

Four games in. yes today there were mistakes but we still have 11 well paid professionals out there, it was not our day, these things happen. However if say after 10 games the same obvious flaws in both the way we play and not playing your best team is clearly having an adverse effect points and results wise then that will be the time to get concerned.

As of right now we are not one of the best teams in the division, we have a lot of hard work to do and some soul searching by those parties whom upon our hopes lay with

I still maintain that, despite not necessarily agreeing with the reasons for changes, it shouldn't have mattered. 11 well paid professionals is exactly what it was out there but too many of said professionals failed to try hard enough. I can't stress how disappointed I was with the attitude of many of our players. They need to take a long hard look at themselves and stop believing they're any better individually than the opposition. If they're premier league class then they need to show it every single minute and fight for the team. Where was the intensity to our game that Karanka keeps speaking about?

Strange comments.....

What does how much they get paid have to do with anything? It certainly wasnt a lack of effort that cost us today

The professional part is what I was referencing and personally I think there was a distinct lack of effort across the pitch. Almost every single player bottled it. If I had a quid for every time a player just stuck their foot on the ball and turned and passed it back to somebody else rather than make something happen I'd be as rich as the lot of them. The buck stops at Karanka but the players, for me, showed a serious lack of bottle today. 

That doesnt show a lack of effort though, every player gave 100% as always, but we just wernt good enough on the day.

Its not as easy as a player just "making it happen", Bristol sat back and held onto their lead and we just couldnt break them down, on another day we probably would. Instead of turning and passing backwards would you rather us just hoof it?

Guess we'll have to disagree. If that was 100% effort from our players then Karanka is right when he often talks about 150% because that's obviously what's missing!! I'd rather they asked questions of the opposition rather than turn away in fear. If you can't pass through a stubborn opposition then you have to carry the ball past them, make something happen by taking players out of the game. But you also have to create space and to do that you have to have players moving. From the start today we were mono-paced, flat footed and overall lethargic.

I thought when Bristol got possession they used it well, they moved with pace and energy. I want to see more of that form the Boro. Yes the opposition can try to stifle the attack but it's so much easier for them to do that when you're playing 5 mph football with little movement.

It's quite possible one of the most frustrating games I've seen us play since the start of last season. Credit should go to Bristol for the way they played and there'll be many more teams who visit us and do exactly that. Answers need to be found and quickly.

I hope it's a one off, I really do. I hope it's just a case of the team needing time to gel with the new additions. And I do doubt I'll see a performance as soulless as that all season.

Anyway, it's gone. We'll move on and hopefully learn from it. I'd just hoped we'd learned those lessons last season.

The more I think about it the more annoyed I'm getting.

2 CDMs at home against a newly promoted team = too negative.

No Plan B when we go behind.

Leadbitter doesn't seem to have the same desire (and influence) as last season.

Kalas at CB. Why not play Fry with Kalas alongside him? It's getting worrying how much we are relying on Ayala and Gibson. An injury to either and we instantly look shaky.

Simply Karanka got it wrong, too many changes resulted in an unbalanced coerherent team, he took Bristol City for granted as a poor side, we have shown so many times that if we go a goal behind we haven't the guyle to get things back, I said they were a bogey team but didn't expect that, anyway my take on things;

Dimi: 8  my MOM kept it to 0-1

Nsue 7 good offensively, still not convinced he's a defender

Kalas 4 totally out bullied by their CF so many times the wrong side

Ayala 7 solid but not good at passing

Friend 8 100% as usual

Clapton 7 broke up play as usual but too defensive

Lead better 4 passing poor too slow to move the ball forward

Downing 5 never really got into the game

Stuanni 3 not sure where' he was playing and not sure he knew either

Wileshutt 6 looked lost at first but came more into the.game until he was subbed

Nugents 5 tried to come to deep for the ball, not on the same wavelength as his team mates

Adomah 7 tried hard as ever over hit his 1st few crosses but always looked threatening

Borrini 5 always tried to go forward but over elaborated at times

Like 6 never got into the game

In short too many players out of position and playing Leadbetter & Clapton at home is too defensive

Like [who, ok you mean Kike]

Borrini - the guy who plays for Liverpool maybe

Jesus, I give in, how could you get so many names wrong, [Clapton, Nugents and Wileshutt, really]

If a bit of autocorrect is the worst thing you had to deal with today then you are doing ducking fine :P

Strange comments.....

Everything to me James, their effort was simply not good enough, yes we can cover it in cotton wool a little due to the AK influence today but as a paying fan today I certainly do not want to watch that kind of performance too many times at games I manage to get too.

Thats going to happen though, we are the team to beat this year, if a well organised team like Bristol gets the first goal they will sit back the rest of the game and its up to us to break them down, its not easy when they have 10 men behind the ball and the keeper plays like that.

Couldnt fault anyone for a lack of effort, just a lack of creativity (which is 100% due to the team selection IMO)

Think Starbuy has pretty much said what I was going to respond to you however yes we possible are the team to beat and by that then we should be the team that goes out with such intent that we get to first goal to stop everyone else doing a Bristol on us, because you are spot on every visiting team from now on will use this as a blue print at the Riverside and we need to change it.

I hope to goodness that when MK Dons visit us that we will not be using 2 DCMand that we make sure our PL potential is there for all to see. :cool:

its almost like AK system/tactics have got us so far but are holding us back at the same time. Can be frustrating.

Agreed.

AK has us set up generally brilliant but I think its going to be the same as last season, He's tactics are just short of getting us in the top 2, He's to cautious and makes the odd moronic team selection.. In the playoff's final he will be to cautious and that we get us beat.

I'm absolutely fuming how stupid he is at times.

Too many changes. We don't see how players are doing behind the scenes - perhaps they really were tired - and we know AK likes to implement a rotation policy from time to time; I'm not entirely against this, within reason.

But, at the end of the day, it's one defeat. We need to regroup and try and get 3 points in the next game. Then it won't be as big a deal.

It also highlights how much we need to being in a player like Antonio, enabling our rotation policy to be effective. We have a good squad. But our back up players in the attacking midfield positions do not compare to our first choice trio. Get that sorted and we're still in very good shape.

Today we saw the same things that were bad about us last season played out again.  From the bizarre team selection - Stuani and Nsue as our right hand side  :huh: , Kalas as a central defender and Wildschut out of nowhere to the slow and quite nervy start I thought the day was wholly bad.  I read earlier that their keeper had been amazing but he hadn't.  He pulled off a couple of decent saves but this wasn't him V Boro or something, he wasn't keeping them in the game with worldy after worldy because quite simply we didn't create that many good chances.  I think Brownlee on the radio perhaps gives a false impression of things at times.

Defensively we weren't right but why would we be.  Nsue isn't a right back fit for the Championship in anything other than an armchair game.  Kalas shouldn't be anywhere near central defence.  The fact that we've seen this again after seeing how exposed it was on occasions last season is worrying.  I know we've been incredibly unlucky with what happened to Baptiste but the fact is that it has happened and we need to do something about it.

The midfield is what it is.  Everyone by now knows my thoughts on it.  I like both players and they both have something to offer us without question but in some games they are not what we need and for whatever reason Karanka doesn't want to see it or clearly doesn't want to agree.  When the speed of the ball through that area is slow as it often is then by the time it does get forward the opposition are back in numbers and organised making it far harder for us to break them down.  Replace every attacker you like but these problems will still remain.  Forshaw quite clearly wasn't a Karanka lead signing.  I know certain people don't agree with this but some of the players we've signed were just given the ok by him, he didn't push for them and I don't believe he especially wants them.  Forshaw couldn't even get off the bench today, a game where we had well over 60% possession but couldn't create as much as we should have. He also didn't come off the bench in the play off final either when we only made two subs.  A player like that may have been able to make better use of the ball.  It begs the question of why he's even here if he's only trusted when one of the other two aren't available or needs a rest.  £2m well spent there...

Up front we were unbalanced.  Stuani isn't a right sided player and actually doesn't look up to speed in my opinion.  Downing unfortunately is doing what he often does which is flatter to deceive.  He's the best footballer in the Championship but he actually has to show it.  Wildschut was oddly the one player that seemed to add something but without an end product.  I was still surprised when it was him that was given the hook at half time though, surprised in the sense that I wouldn't have done it but not surprised that Karanka did.  

All in all it's basically where we were last season and I'm pretty disappointed.  I was optimistic earlier in the summer because I felt that we had a great chance to evolve how we play and change our approach with so many players leaving the squad.  However it's becoming obvious that Karanka has no intention of changing anything.  We lack ideas when trying to chase a game, we start slowly all too often and if we're honest we're quite predictable in what we will do.  Our play at times from the back through midfield is ponderous and it's holding us back in my opinion.  I personally wouldn't have given Karanka the four year contract, I actually wouldn't have offered him one at all at this moment in time.  We've had managers in my lifetime that have achieved more with less.  I hope Karanka has a think about a few things and maybe reconsiders what our approach is at least some of the time.  He's done a good job here so this isn't me ripping him apart but there has to be a point where you accept that what you're doing isn't necessarily the right thing.  We need a different approach even if it's just for some of the time.

Today for me was a must win game and it was really disappointing to see us fail in the same way we did last season.

Absolutely love the pesimism - every single team on the planet have days like these. We have a new squad, players who have had no time to bed in and the usual early season mash up which generally has no true reflection on how the season inevitably pans out. But you can guarantee the whiners, pesimists and doommgers are at the door condeming us already. Those of you out there who have went through this year in year out, highs and lows will know this is the first typical Boro blip which was there waiting to jump on us. Those who expect a flawless performance every time we play need to give your heads a wobble.

Absolutely love the pesimism - every single team on the planet have days like these. We have a new squad, players who have had no time to bed in and the usual early season mash up which generally has no true reflection on how the season inevitably pans out. But you can guarantee the whiners, pesimists and doommgers are at the door condeming us already. Those of you out there who have went through this year in year out, highs and loss will know this is the first typical Boro blip which was there waiting to jump on us. Those who expect a flawless performance every time we play need to give your heads a wobble.

Nobody expects us to play well and win every game Randy. But AK team selection imo greatly contributed to this loss. I'm starting to think he thinks he is Jose only forgets that we don't have the luxury of great players to rotate. Maybe if we had bought the players that Downing alluded to, our squad might allow a certain level of tinkering but we didn't. To change a winning side on a home game against moderate opposition is gambling.

I'm seriously starting to have doubts about AK. Not based on just today's faux pas but based on the evidence piling up that he doesn't seem to learn from past mistakes.

What's wrong with playing your best eleven and giving the team a chance to lead and then rest key players if u think the players are tired.

Strange comments.....

Think Starbuy has pretty much said what I was going to respond to you however yes we possible are the team to beat and by that then we should be the team that goes out with such intent that we get to first goal to stop everyone else doing a Bristol on us, because you are spot on every visiting team from now on will use this as a blue print at the Riverside and we need to change it.

I hope to goodness that when MK Dons visit us that we will not be using 2 DCMand that we make sure our PL potential is there for all to see. :cool:

Yeah its something every team will do, Bolton tried it but we got the early goal and that is going to be key, if the opposition score first I dont fancy us to win, if we score first 9/10 times we will go on to win, especially at home.

In a way I am not worried as I know we have the quality to beat any team in this league

The thing which is worrying me is the manager, I would hope he wont do this again but I can almost guarantee that he will, and it will cost us time and time again.

Never underestimate any team in this league, anyone can beat anyone, save rotation for cup games, and PLEASE dont play players out of position, it reminds me of the Mowbray days. Hate to say it but this is the first time I am starting to have doubts about AK