oneBoro Forum

How, when and why?

Been such a long time since we last did this type of thread and we certainly have had loads of new members since last time, so basically how, when and why did you start supporting Middlesbrough FC, forsaking all others and bucking the trend of your mates if you are not Boro born and bred?

Also can you remember your very first Boro game live be it at the game or watching on television.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm Boro born and bred so that bit is easy.

My first game was about 1987. I am pretty sure it was against Huddersfield Town and we won 2-1. Memory tells me Mowbray scored the winner with a header but that might be wrong.

Got into it quite late, comparatively with my mates, who were all going at 7/8. My old man was working away, and I had no other family who really followed football. I think I was 10 when I went to my only game at Ayresome. 1-1 with Barnsley. Moreno scored, it was rubbish.

Went to the Riverside the following year, and it was like a different world.

I shared a season ticket with my brother back at Ayresome in the early 90s, starting when I was 4/5. Loved every minute of being at Ayresome...

My dad had an accident in 92 and my uncle who used to go with is died in 94, so we didn't really get to go to many games after that, sadly.

Still miss Ayresome Park... Great memories! Anyone else remember those massive inflatable sumo wrestlers? Had a fight at HT in a game... Chelsea I think it was?

I was about 5 and at Ayresome Park with my Mam &  Dad to see a "football legend", Wilf Mannion, in what may have been his last season at Boro - I guess it was September 1952 or 53. The sun shone brightly.

Although my Dad was subbed just over twenty years ago, my Mam is still on the bench at 94 and a half and looks forward to Jeff Stelling's show and a discussion with me over the phone about Saturday's game, though we're both exiled from Middlesbrough now.

You can take us out of the Boro but ......

I was 4 or 5 when my dad first decided to take me to a game, he's never really been madly into football but has always supported Boro as all of the side of my family have. I have vivid memories of us getting absolutely pasted by ***nal by 5 or 6 goals, having had a look it seems this was in the 98/99 season, and playing absolutely terribly. After that I guess I must have just thought that things couldn't really get any worse :)

My Mums side of the family, and my older brother, all support Sunderland so that was the other choice, and I did go to a few Sunderland games as a young child due to my grandad having a season ticket with them, but it wasn't ever really a choice in my mind. There was something that just felt right about Boro, an instant connection, a feeling of identity that seemed to be lacking when I went to the Sunderland games.

16 years later and I'm fairly confident I made the right decision, although unlike most Boro fans I will always have a soft spot for Sunderland, this football club has provided me with some of my fondest memories, along with some of the biggest heartbreaks I've experienced, but when I look back over my time supporting Boro I wouldn't swap it for the world.

Thankyou Sir Steve.

after flirting with a few teams liverpool and shef wednesday ( god knows why?) went to my first match back in 91 and sat behind one of those massive pillars so didn't see much . just glad i moved up there as a kid otherwise i'd be supporting Forest now

1983 Leeds 2 each at AP Sept

Paid for this game with my birthday money

#37 Corporation from top of Overdale Road( Park End lad) to Cleveland Centre,or 263 United to Albert Park

Irving Nattress at a cracking game if memory serves me right

Used to sit on the wall next to the floodlight

Happy days

Same as Tyler, born and bred. Started following from about 7/8 years old and it just snowballed from there. 1st game I was about 9, I think it was 6-0 v chester City in 96-97 FA cup. Became a season ticket holder for 1st time this season, much to my wife's annoyance. :)

Father supported Darlo (don't ask, I've since converted him with their demise) and mother's side are Sunderland born and bred.

Dad took me and the younger brother to the opening game at the Riverside, and I was hooked.

Hignett was God.

Also a first time season ticket holder. South stand represent.

Brother actually became a Mackem, grandad took us to a few games but I was never turned. Last few seasons have been great fun.

Wasn't really a huge football fan back in the day. First game was against Leeds in the Premier League, it finished 2-2. It was a school trip, spent the morning at Eston Sports Academy then Riverside Stadium in the afternoon. The rest was history...

My love for Boro has grown and grown ever since.

I'm Boro born and bred, one of the earliest memories I have of going to a Boro match is when we beat Derby County 5-1 at home in 2001 and Ravanelli got the consolation goal for Derby in something like the 90th minute. I was 8 at the time, I'd gone to matches before that but I'll have been to young to be able remember

August 1986 Boro Vs Bury. My dad wasn't in to football at the time so I was 10 before I was able to go to Ayresome, as neither of us had been before or knew where was best to go we ended up in the chicken run after a couple of fans were running to get in before kick off and said to go with them, they spent the entire match telling me n me dad about the club n players, never met them again but they were responsible for really making me decide the Boro was where I belonged.