oneBoro Forum

How, when and why?

I've always been Boro through and through, although I did (shamefully) flirt with Man Utd in the early 90s when Giggs burst into the scene!

I can't actually remember my first game, I know I was taken by my Dad in the Holgate but apparently I spent the majority of the games kicking a can back and forth at the back of the stand! That would have been when I was around 5 I would guess.

My first real memory was when I was mascot v Man City in 92 (the first home PL game and my little claim to fame haha) when I was 6. Took a penalty at the Holgate v Ian Ironside and scored. I was pleased as punch! Game ended 2-0 with Bernie getting both. My first real season was 94/95 and never looked back since. Couldn't imagine having the same sort of passion for another club as I do the Boro, roll on match day!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always been Boro through and through, although I did (shamefully) flirt with Man Utd in the early 90s when Giggs burst into the scene!

I hope you flog yourself with a cat-o-9-tails every night as penance for this appalling (almost) betrayal!?

EDIT: Not in a kinky way, in an ashamed, repentful way.

Reminds me of going down the road to my mate's house when I was about 10, and he was a Man United fan, and his dad supported Leeds, and they were playing each other, and they forced me to pick a side. Like choosing between the injection and the chair...

Reminds me of going down the road to my mate's house when I was about 10, and he was a Man United fan, and his dad supported Leeds, and they were playing each other, and they forced me to pick a side. Like choosing between the injection and the chair...

I'd rather have a threesome with my parents...

I hope you flog yourself with a cat-o-9-tails every night as penance for this appalling (almost) betrayal!?

EDIT: Not in a kinky way, in an ashamed, repentful way.

Haha I do, I am appalled and ashamed I had a brief weak moment at the age of 5!! Having to go to school in Guisborough at a time when Leeds were doing ok (Champions League and all that) was pretty tough when you followed the Boro so get BoroToms comments.

I actually do remember sitting watching the boro season highlights video nearly every night. From the seasons in the late 80s. Gutted I just missed out due to my age. Just remember seeing that surge of the Holgate when a goal went in and thinking 'wow' I wish I could be a part of that... at my age it was probably best I wasn't.

Who did you choose?

The first match I saw was in the first division Boro V ***nal

Paddy Nash the Boro goalie was sent off for punching an ***nal player

This was in the days of Hardwick, Mannion, Fenton etc

I followed Boro in the Days of Clough, Peacock, McClean, Day and Holliday

Then emigrated to Canada

Here is a link to an interesting site

http://www.11v11.com/teams/middlesbrough/tab/players/season/1964

Who did you choose?

Man United. I have a cousin who supports them, so I decided they were the lesser of two evils. Would probably make the same call again tbh.

Who did you choose?

Man United. I have a cousin who supports them, so I decided they were the lesser of two evils. Would probably make the same call again tbh.

You made the right call.

Edit: the only other acceptable answer was that you refrained from supporting the teams, and really got behind the referee :P

The first game I remember at the Riverside was this one:

Middlesbrough 5 - 3 Birmingham City

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_prem/3507786.stm

Schwarzer was motm in that game. Conceded 3, but kept pulling unreal saves off. One in particular from Lazardis (sp?) where he flicked it over the bar from a one-on-one despite diving the other way.

Could easily have ended 5-8 or something really daft.

McClaren teams always used to do that. Play ***e 0-0's or unreal goal-fests.

Was dragged along to Ayresome Park in the early 90's and was instantly mesmerised by the singing and atmosphere rather than the free flowing football. A couple of years later and Robson arrived and things went mental. I feel very lucky to have grown up following a really exciting team, God knows how parents managed to get their kids to go during the Southgate/Strachen/Mowbray era!

As a kid I "supported" three English teams. Spurs, they got Lineker. Pool, they got Hysén. And Boro. Why? I saw them on a Swedish program broadcasted every Saturday, called Tipslördag. Boro had a winning streak in div 1 (I guess that's Championship now days). I started read the scores every week to see if they would expand their record. Don't remember how many games. When I get older, 10 maybe, I understood that you can't support three teams so I choosed Liverpool....nooooo. Boro of course.

Been on one game. Spurs away....lovely start with Viduka and JFH on top. Then one of my favorites get it all messed up..