oneBoro Forum

Boro v Forest (A) 2-1

He didn't place it across his chest, he waved it frantically and pointed at our by-line.

Here's the highlight to show you.

Thanks mate I obviously just imagined it then probably because as soon as he started waving the flag I was sure he was signalling for penalty.  Maybe he waved the flag to indicate that it was a penalty to the referee so that he could give it but signalled for the corner in case he didn't?  I know that sounds daft but what I posted earlier, the reasoning given for referees being able to tell their assistants what they could and couldn't signal first was to make sure they weren't contradicting the referee.

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

The linesman seemed to flag very late I thought, almost as if he'd heard in his earpiece someone say penalty. But the ref didn't blow until after the linesman flagged so it was a bit strange. It was a clear penalty though so it doesn't really matter.

Somebody with more knowledge about this may correct me but I always thought that referees tell their assistants before the game what decisions they can signal themselves without the referee making the first call so to speak.  I'm sure I heard a referee talking about this once but it was a few years ago.  So sometimes even with throw ins the assistant will have to wait until the referee signals which way it is before the he can do the same.  

On the penalty yesterday I assumed the referee couldn't see it properly as Gibson's body would have been in between the ref and the ball.  I thought that the assistant had obviously waited for the referee to let him make the decision and when it was clear he couldn't he waved his flag and I thought put it initially across his chest for the penalty and then maybe pointed the flag at the spot as well?  I usually record Boro game that are on the box so I can watch again if I want to but I didn't this time.

Maybe that explains the delay in flagging then. I think the flag across the chest signal is outdated.

I actually just looked it up and it does seem the flag across the chest isn't used and apparently was never an approved rule, so sorry about that guys!

It seems like most fouls including penalties just get a generic "wave the flag around a lot and point in a direction" which means the linesman did flag for it.

http://www.surreyfa.com/news/2014/jul/new-fa-guidelines-for-awarding-a-penalty

Without getting all technical with the rules of flag waving, In real time it looked blatantly obvious the linesman gave it. The ref hadn't showed any indication of blowing his whistle until the linesman started flagging.

I'm surprised it was even a debate tbh.

The ref did seem a little biased towards Forest, although it was an obvious penalty. I was trying to work out why the majority of free kicks seemed to go Forest's way, especially second half, every time we made a tackle, it seemed that the ref gave a foul.

Looking back, I think a lot of the problem was that our passing was a bit sloppy especially in the midfield areas, because of that, we tended to either create more 50/50 balls causing our players to put their foot in to regain possession, we were very scrappy in the second half, but we got away with it, great result.