oneBoro Forum

Capital One Cup 4th round draw

We've got a better chance of this happening if we're promoted as we'll have better players and a greater depth to the squad. It's incredibly unlikely that we're going to win a trophy with a Championship squad particularly when we've got United away in the next round. Come on guys a little bit of common sense!

We drew City last year in the cup.

They were a much better side than Utd are.

That was a freak result. Again common sense.

This is football. Where does common sense come into it? :P

We matched (outplayed) Liverpool, we beat the champions of England; with (in my opinion) an inferior squad to the one we have now.

We CAN do it!

As for resting players - do you think our star players are going to want to be rested for a game at Old Trafford? That to me makes no sense from the players perspective. Downing. Stuani, Nugent, Clayton, Ayala, Friend, Leadbitter will all be desperate to play there. Show everyone what they are made of.

3 games from Wembley

So when we are in that old peoples home and reminiscing on life will we be talking about being at the millennium stadium watching OUR team winning a trophy and the emotion that came with it or about a 1-0 win on a Tuesday night in the league against Rotherham.

We undervalue cups and the excitement of doing well and make promotion the most important thing to our club.

Don't get me wrong I want us to get back to the premiership and it has to be our no1 priority but not at the expense of atleast giving it a go in the cups with a strong team especially as we get to the later rounds.

Without taking the cups seriously in the noughties we would be a club that still hadn't been to an FA cup final, a European cup final and eventually a Cup winning club.

Now we have a something to go in our trophy cabinet and final performances to add to our fantastic club history.

WE WERE IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE WITH PREMIER LEAGUE PLAYERS THEN!!!

Why is this so hard to grasp? We have a vastly inferior squad to half the teams left in the competition including the team we're up against away from home in the next round.

Championship football clubs don't win trophies!!!!!

We have a vastly inferior squad so we shouldn't bother going all out for a victory?

What a defeatist attitude!

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion this is one of the worst things about football today. Teams/clubs/some supporters would rather be in the premier league and finish 17th or 4th or 6th (depending on the team) than give it a real go and try and win a trophy.

Surely the point of competitive sport is to try and win trophies? To achieve genuine glory and memories that will be with a club forever. Particularly to a club of our size.

I'm just a realist lads. I find it highly highly unlikely that we can seriously mount a challenge at winning a trophy from this position as a Championship club. That's my opinion.

On a side note we're 66/1 with Bet365 so that should give you an idea from an outsiders POV

Nothing wrong with being a realist, but we should still dare to dream. See the Sheffield United and Bradford fans for their recent exploits. We should be the same and aim for a trophy while still mounting a title challenge.

Nothing wrong with being a realist, but we should still dare to dream. See the Sheffield United and Bradford fans for their recent exploits. We should be the same and aim for a trophy while still mounting a title challenge.

Yes! :D

Yes! :D

Apparently men can't multi-task, though. It's either one or the other.

In my opinion this is one of the worst things about football today. Teams/clubs/some supporters would rather be in the premier league and finish 17th or 4th or 6th (depending on the team) than give it a real go and try and win a trophy.

Surely the point of competitive sport is to try and win trophies? To achieve genuine glory and memories that will be with a club forever. Particularly to a club of our size.

Tyler from my point of view its about the bigger picture...

Whilst we have a great chance of promotion I think every effort should be put in to that.

If we don't take our chance getting promoted with this squad we will never have a better opportunity imo and we probably can forget about winning another cup or getting back in the premier league, The ridiculous amounts of money that is going to be in the premier league next season is almost going to make the premier league like some sort of super league.. Imo Teams that get relegated will start to easily get promoted again because they won't need to sell star players straight away. I honestly think it will be at least 2/3 teams that get relegated go straight back up.

Its going to be no fun for teams outside the premier league like us, Blackburn, Forest, Fulham, Leeds Etc.. All who have had a good amount of years in the top league and have hopes of getting back there...

We can not afford to waste this opportunity for a cup run... The cup/s will still be there for us to win once we are back in the premier league.

This !!

Sorry to intrude, I know away fans aren't always welcome on here so going to be quick, but the thing is, (and as you may be aware) we played Manchester United at Old Trafford in the last round and there's been an awful lot of debate and arguement on our forums following what occured on the night.

First and Foremost, we had a 0 - 3 defeat and not only that, but McCarthy changed the ENTIRE LINE-UP from the previous (league game) and fielded a starting XI that had just about surrendered before the game had even got underway. When it was all said and done, they had around 75 per cent possession (throughout) to our 25, and were so convincing as winners we may just have awarded them the tie before the F'ing game had even got underway.

The thing was, McCarthy (supposedly our leader and inspiration (!)) showed such contempt towards the competition - all in favour of the next league game - A DRAW AT HOME AGAINST THE BOTTOM PLACED SIDE IN THE LEAGUE YESTERDAY - that caused a level of hostility with a number of our supporters. Guess I wouldn't want others to suffer the same indignance.

I was curious as to who the winners play in the next round and it wasn't until today that I even looked (on the Captial One official website) and well - here I am..

The thing is, i'm one of those supporters who don't see the league being the end all and be all of every damn season - it would be nice to WIN something again (last domestic trophy 1978) and look forward to the Cup games but what happened midweek really hit a spot - and so many of our supporters (or perhaps supporters of most clubs) see the League Cup as immaterial, a waste of time etc - and it's the League or nothing. (We probably won't even get a promotion FFS, play-offs at best is what we can hope for)

I think what I'm trying to get across is that when you got to Old Trafford for your league Cup game in a week or two - see to it that your manager puts out a strong team (approach it as you would an important league fixture), give it a real shot and with any luck you may just progress to the next round (which would be the quarter finals unless mistaken)

I know Boro won this 10 years ago and the chance is there to repeat that this season - so with the right determination and a bit of fortune I wish you well. We'll see you in the league when the time comes around but for now - GO OUT AND BELIEVE you can once again win the competition.

Sorry to intrude, I know away fans aren't always welcome on here so going to be quick, but the thing is, (and as you may be aware) we played Manchester United at Old Trafford in the last round and there's been an awful lot of debate and arguement on our forums following what occured on the night.

First and Foremost, we had a 0 - 3 defeat and not only that, but McCarthy changed the ENTIRE LINE-UP from the previous (league game) and fielded a starting XI that had just about surrendered before the game had even got underway. When it was all said and done, they had around 75 per cent possession (throughout) to our 25, and were so convincing as winners we may just have awarded them the tie before the F'ing game had even got underway.

The thing was, McCarthy (supposedly our leader and inspiration (!)) showed such contempt towards the competition - all in favour of the next league game - A DRAW AT HOME AGAINST THE BOTTOM PLACED SIDE IN THE LEAGUE YESTERDAY - that caused a level of hostility with a number of our supporters. Guess I wouldn't want others to suffer the same indignance.

I was curious as to who the winners play in the next round and it wasn't until today that I even looked (on the Captial One official website) and well - here I am..

The thing is, i'm one of those supporters who don't see the league being the end all and be all of every damn season - it would be nice to WIN something again (last domestic trophy 1978) and look forward to the Cup games but what happened midweek really hit a spot - and so many of our supporters (or perhaps supporters of most clubs) see the League Cup as immaterial, a waste of time etc - and it's the League or nothing. (We probably won't even get a promotion FFS, play-offs at best is what we can hope for)

I think what I'm trying to get across is that when you got to Old Trafford for your league Cup game in a week or two - see to it that your manager puts out a strong team (approach it as you would an important league fixture), give it a real shot and with any luck you may just progress to the next round (which would be the quarter finals unless mistaken)

I know Boro won this 10 years ago and the chance is there to repeat that this season - so with the right determination and a bit of fortune I wish you well. We'll see you in the league when the time comes around but for now - GO OUT AND BELIEVE you can once again win the competition.

:D