oneBoro Forum

Jordan Rhodes

We have a raft of excellent pen takers in the squad. Have grant or downing ever missed? And who can forget gibsons thunderbolt.

Just don't let Clayton take them

Leadbitter's missed at least 2. One against us for Ipswich, and one for us 2 seasons ago against Yeovil (I think). I seem to remember Adomah turning in the rebound from it too.

That's my memory too luke, was stunned that he missed. Did the keeper save or did it hit the post??

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

We have a raft of excellent pen takers in the squad. Have grant or downing ever missed? And who can forget gibsons thunderbolt.

Just don't let Clayton take them

Leadbitter's missed at least 2. One against us for Ipswich, and one for us 2 seasons ago against Yeovil (I think). I seem to remember Adomah turning in the rebound from it too.

That's my memory too luke, was stunned that he missed. Did the keeper save or did it hit the post??

Great save by Steele I think????

http://youtu.be/fEmrcusYWms

Hello everyone, is the consensus the Rhodes will get goals playing in the current system or will we be changing shape to support him more?

I'm asking because I've observed a lot of Rhodes goals come from one touch finishes on the end of a move and it's not as though any of our strikers have been missing loads of chances.

Apologies if it's already been discussed, I couldn't find it digging through the thread...

Hello everyone, is the consensus the Rhodes will get goals playing in the current system or will we be changing shape to support him more?

I'm asking because I've observed a lot of Rhodes goals come from one touch finishes on the end of a move and it's not as though any of our strikers have been missing loads of chances.

Apologies if it's already been discussed, I couldn't find it digging through the thread...

I can think of only a handful of misses from our strikers so I definitely think we need to be working on improving the number of chances we create, but I think there are 2 aspects to this. Firstly, Rhodes is a different type of target who has a knack for finding the space to score. Secondly, you'd hope that Ramirez is also going to be bringing some additional creativity.

I recently looked at chances created in the Championship and despite us being the top rated team overall on this website, for chances created we are 14th in the league. Last season we were much higher in chances created table. Here is the table.

The one thing you can say though is that Blackburn created even less than us but Rhodes still managed 11 goals. It doesn't mean all that much as long as you are clinical. Look at Burnley, bottom of that chances created table!

Jesus christ Bolton and Rotherham are creating more chances than we are haha

We are only creating a few more than Blackburn also..With the squad we have now, There's absolutely no excuses why we shouldn't be creating as much as any other team.

Be interesting to see if we have created more chances this season vs. last season. If I was to take a punt, I'd say we probably created more last time round.

We have to remember part of the problem with creating chances is if the opposition team sit behind the ball for the whole game. We do have to improve our chance creation definitely but I'd say we aren't entirely to blame for the lack of them.

We are only creating a few more than Blackburn also..With the squad we have now, There's absolutely no excuses why we shouldn't be creating as much as any other team.

Except there is, isn't there? We are the most defensively solid team in the division by a fairly long way, other teams prioritise other areas of their game whereas AK prioritises not losing over everything else. We are never going to create the most chances in the league because creating that amount of chances leads to the opposition having more chances, AK wouldn't tolerate that as he's a very risk averse individual.

Except there is, isn't there? We are the most defensively solid team in the division by a fairly long way, other teams prioritise other areas of their game whereas AK prioritises not losing over everything else. We are never going to create the most chances in the league because creating that amount of chances leads to the opposition having more chances, AK wouldn't tolerate that as he's a very risk averse individual.

You say that and I would agree with you but didn't Karanka say he does not describe his strategy as defensive? I find it hard to believe myself given how much better we've proved ourselves to be defensively superior to every other team in the league for the 2nd year running so far. But it's interesting that Karanka wouldn't describe it to be so.

You say that and I would agree with you but didn't Karanka say he does not describe his strategy as defensive? I find it hard to believe myself given how much better we've proved ourselves to be defensively superior to every other team in the league for the 2nd year running so far. But it's interesting that Karanka wouldn't describe it to be so.

I wouldn't describe it as defensive (don't think I did in my post ;) ), the word I use to describe it is risk averse, which I'm fairly sure AK would actually agree with. He is a man who doesn't like taking risks, and as a result we are a team that doesn't like taking risks.

I wouldn't describe it as defensive (don't think I did in my post ;) ), the word I use to describe it is risk averse, which I'm fairly sure AK would actually agree with. He is a man who doesn't like taking risks, and as a result we are a team that doesn't like taking risks.

I have to agree that we are team that doesn't like risks. In terms of not conceding, it's obviously a positive thing shown by our defensive record this year. However, I'd love is to take more risks in front of goal. Our build up play so far has been predictable, and if we're being honest, quite one dimensional. I'd love our attacking players to take a few more risks, if it means trying them threaded through balls that might not come off, or shooting from outside of the box even though the keeper might save it. I'd rather see a mix of attacking prowess, instead of the usual play it out to the wings, put a cross in, ball gets headed out, Leadbitter received ball, and repeat.

I have to agree that we are team that doesn't like risks. In terms of not conceding, it's obviously a positive thing shown by our defensive record this year. However, I'd love is to take more risks in front of goal. Our build up play so far has been predictable, and if we're being honest, quite one dimensional. I'd love our attacking players to take a few more risks, if it means trying them threaded through balls that might not come off, or shooting from outside of the box even though the keeper might save it. I'd rather see a mix of attacking prowess, instead of the usual play it out to the wings, put a cross in, ball gets headed out, Leadbitter received ball, and repeat.

I completely agree, and have said the same myself, but taking more risks in the attacking sense means more risks defensively, no matter which way you look at it. The downside to having a risk averse manager is that sometimes we look a bit blunt in an attacking sense.

I completely agree, and have said the same myself, but taking more risks in the attacking sense means more risks defensively, no matter which way you look at it. The downside to having a risk averse manager is that sometimes we look a bit blunt in an attacking sense.

Yep, but it's clearly working so I'm happy. I think with the added creativity that Ramirez will bring, and the clinicalness that Rhodes will bring, hopefully we can find a happy medium of staying tight defensively, whilst getting a couple of goals.