oneBoro Forum

Players who wouldn't get in our team

Tbf I'd be a bit unsure of mertesaker, I can't see him being much if at all better than we've actually got. Maybe better in the head and positionally but on the ball or isolated against a quick striker he's rubbish.

the same metesaker that has won the world cup last year

what the hell are boro fans turning into. saying Mertesaker is no better than what we already have is actually disgraceful and completely disrespecful. Mertesaker would walk into our team any day of the week

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Tbf I'd be a bit unsure of mertesaker, I can't see him being much if at all better than we've actually got. Maybe better in the head and positionally but on the ball or isolated against a quick striker he's rubbish.

what the hell are boro fans turning into. saying Mertesaker is no better than what we already have is actually disgraceful and completely disrespecful. Mertesaker would walk into our team any day of the week

He's clearly not as a good as Maxi Haas. And Maxi Haas couldn't even get a game for us. Honestly these German players aren't that good really.

Also even Branco won a World Cup with Brazil and he was mince for the Boro.

I get what your saying but if we got mertersaker in tomorrow I don't think we would see a drastic improvement in our defence. Obviously you'd need to see him at this level in our team to get a true look, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as you make out.

Look at amorabieta, been a la liga defender for years playing European and international football, he's no better than Ayala. Same for stuani, la liga forward for years and a Uruguay international yet David nugent who's generally been a championship player is out shining him. Look at Downing, he was one of the better premiership performers last season and got an England call up, he's stepped down and while you can see the quality he has it's not like he's getting rave reviews.

The difference between the very best players/good players/average players isn't as big as people make out, it comes down to many little things added up rather than 1 big thing, and most of it is mental application.

On mertersaker where he would out do our defenders like I said will be his reading of the game and positioning. After that the gap gets very narrow. Is he more mobile than Ayala? I don't think so? Better in the air? Debatable. Better on the ball? Not particularly.

Maybe I was a bit unfair to say he would 'struggle' to get in our team, he would get in over amorabieta. But I don't think adding him to our team would have much affect on our results.

Hang on, I am not having this.

I love Ayala. He is a very good defender. Arguably the best in the football league.

But Mertesacker plays for a champions league side, is a German international and has won the bloody World Cup.

Now you may not rate him highly but he is a 100 times the player Ayala is.

You can say Ayala is as good because he is doing it against championship strikers. Mertesacker played against the best strikers in the country/Europe/the world on a regular basis.

There is genuinely no comparison!

I'm guessing it's probably a bit tongue in cheek.

Yes CT - having won 7 on the spin and the media, managers and fans all talking our players up this was meant to be an ironic thread poking fun at our new found favourite status.

Close this horrible thread please.

Well, this is probably the lowest point for this forum so far I think, so congrats on that Boro Badger.

Please delete this stupid *** thread.

I couldn't actually think of anything offensive enough to get such a hostile reaction!

When we sing "The finest team in football, the world has ever seen" maybe some forum members take offence and ask everyone to be quiet and leave the stadium?

BB the thread was obviously tongue in cheek, I don't understand the hostility either, I guess you just have to put it down to people's differing senses of humour.

On the subject of that chant, it is a ridiculous claim and whenever the crowd sing, "the finest team in football", I wince and refuse to join in, we clearly aren't, nor have we ever been and I very much doubt we ever will be the finest team in football.

BB the thread was obviously tongue in cheek, I don't understand the hostility either, I guess you just have to put it down to people's differing senses of humour.

On the subject of that chant, it is a ridiculous claim and whenever the crowd sing, "the finest team in football", I wince and refuse to join in, we clearly aren't, nor have we ever been and I very much doubt we ever will be the finest team in football.

Like the fans who sing "one Stevie Gibson, there's only one Stevie Gibson", when there is obviously more than one Steve Gibson in the world. It's madness to think that there is only one person by that name on the planet. :P

• Like 1

Not really. The Derby forum just talked all their players up as the best in the league. All we are saying is loads of top players (and Adam Forshaw) wouldn't get into our side. What's wrong with that really?

For today's selection I'd like to nominate Adam Forshaw.