Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The jockeys must be feckin tiny 🤷‍♂️

All the prominent anti-vaxxers on social media have jumped on it, saying Hawkins was an anti-vaxxer and was forced to get the covid vaccination by the rest of the band, and conversely died as a result

Try both legs of the Villa Play Off games where Pulis tried to defend a 0-1 scoreline without a shot on target. Just when you couldn't bear to watch it any longer and things couldn't become any more t

Posted Images

I've been listening to a bit of newer, vocal jazz recently, singers like Jose James, Marcus Miller, Cassandra Wilson, Madeleine Peyroux, Zara McFarlane etc... Takuya Kuroda is an amazing Jazz trumpeter also.

They're all a bit more of a fusion with other styles rather than out and out jazz but they're all worth a listen.

If you're on Spotify this is an old Jazz playlist I have (haven't updated it in ages) but there's all the artists I mentioned plus a few older ones on there:

Any Jazz aficionados on here?

I’m looking to expand my collection, I’ve got the obvious stuff, Charlie Mingus, Miles Davis and John Coltrane, but I wondered if anyone had any more left field suggestions that be worth a listen.

A contemporary of the obvious names you mention, Erroll Garner is my favourite jazz pianist and has been for more than 50 years, ever since I first heard his 1955 "Concert by the Sea" album. Everything came right that night, audience, atmosphere and, most of all, Garner himself. A truly remarkable performance and it's the "must have" a*** Garner's recordings.

This is a different occasion but well worth a listen:

[video=youtube]

In case it doesn't show for you, here's a link:

By the way, Garner wrote the "Misty" referenced in the in the title of the Clint Eastwood film "Play 'Misty' for me".

I’m looking to expand my collection, I’ve got the obvious stuff, Charlie Mingus, Miles Davis and John Coltrane, but I wondered if anyone had any more left field suggestions that be worth a listen.

A contemporary of the obvious names you mention, Erroll Garner is my favourite jazz pianist and has been for more than 50 years, ever since I first heard his 1955 "Concert by the Sea" album. Everything came right that night, audience, atmosphere and, most of all, Garner himself. A truly remarkable performance and it's the "must have" a*** Garner's recordings.

This is a different occasion but well worth a listen:

[video=youtube]

In case it doesn't show for you, here's a link:

By the way, Garner wrote the "Misty" referenced in the in the title of the Clint Eastwood film "Play 'Misty' for me".

It’s absolutely perfect, thanks for the recommendation. I bought Concert by the Sea, it is superb. Thank you.

Quickly getting off Jazz for a second, John 5 and the Creatures released a live album recorded at one of their gigs and it is.... extraordinary.

I mean, I've always been a fan as the bloke is a phenomenal guitarist, but some of his solos on the record are ridiculous!

a good short series that ive just watched last weekend on netflix.............La Mante .

as you can guess from the title its french with subtitles but imo as enjoyable as the spiral trio of series. and up there with the tunnel. 

on another note ..to be filed alongside the wire in the why cant i seem to get into this with it being so popular category ...im putting ...homeland,,,i know i know but i really struggled to begin enjoying looking forward to more....all opinions of course.

oh and Happy Valley (both series ) gets a thumbs up

I'm glad you like Erroll Garner struttin' his stuff. :)

Another all-time favourite album of mine might also appeal so here's a sample:

What about vocalists and the big bands? As someone who grew up with the likes of Sarah Vaughan, Ella Fitzgerald,  Frank Sinatra, Louis Armstrong, Count Basie, Duke Ellington, Benny Goodman, Peggy Lee et al,

I think you'll probably know what's coming if I tell you that only a couple of modern artists are worthy of mentioning in the same breath as those greats.been nothing