oneBoro Forum

Music, Films and TV Series

Anyone watched Justice League yet? Have to say I was well impressed. Wasn't expecting much after the farce that was Batman v Superman but this was a proper good superhero film.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The jockeys must be feckin tiny 🤷‍♂️

All the prominent anti-vaxxers on social media have jumped on it, saying Hawkins was an anti-vaxxer and was forced to get the covid vaccination by the rest of the band, and conversely died as a result

Try both legs of the Villa Play Off games where Pulis tried to defend a 0-1 scoreline without a shot on target. Just when you couldn't bear to watch it any longer and things couldn't become any more t

Posted Images

The whole franchise is surviving because Wonder Woman is good. Every other aspect of the DCU is an utter failure. I will see Justice League as ever with hope that it's good but it says a lot that I've gone into both BvS and Suicide Squad with little to no expectations and still came out disappointed.

The Arrowverse is 100 times better than the DCU.

The whole franchise is surviving because Wonder Woman is good. Every other aspect of the DCU is an utter failure. I will see Justice League as ever with hope that it's good but it says a lot that I've gone into both BvS and Suicide Squad with little to no expectations and still came out disappointed.

The Arrowverse is 100 times better than the DCU.

Said it many times before, DC is missing a Kevin Feige type character with a vision to organise their cinematic universe. They've just announced EIGHT new films but they're still struggling to put out ones like the Flash that have been in production for years.

They definitely ***ed up by not linking the Arrowverse up. You've got well established characters that could slot right in to a Justice League film. For years they avoided using the big guns on TV or even mentioning their name (until Superman showed up on Supergirl, but thats in a different universe so you could still get away with it) and I don't understand why if linking them was never an option.

The main issue people might have with linking the Arrowverse up with the DCU is that it's just not dark or serious enough when you take Arrow out of the picture. Even Arrow has had its lighter days in the past couple of seasons, particularly in the crossovers. But Flash, Supergirl and Legends of Tomorrow are all very lighthearted (even though the Legends has one of the deadliest assassins from Arrow in it). I just don't think their characters are serious enough for the franchise someone is trying to put together, apart from perhaps Stephen Amell.

Now if you look at Marvel's extended universe, you have the Agents of SHIELD, all the Netflix shows, Inhumans (which I haven't watched any of yet)... regardless of how brutal those Netflix shows are, you could see them dulling themselves down a bit to play a part in the MCU movies. You can see them all being worked into the movies because they don't stretch too far from where they were born. And that's no surprise seen as they only happened as a result of the success of slowly building up the universe to the position it's in right now.

DCU's biggest failure as far as I'm concerned is trying to produce something that is matching the MCU right here and right now. The 2nd movie was a crossover of 3 main heroes for God's sake! Man of Steel was an origin story and looked for all the world like it would be trying to make a name for itself the way Nolan's Batman films did. There's no shame in doing that. We could have had a proper, up to date Superman vs. Lex Luthor film, that would have been great! But they wanted to capitalise on all the success the MCU has had by matching them up and it's failed miserably. You're probably right, that probably comes down to not having such a producer hanging over the franchise dictating the build up, understanding the need to establish characters before shoving them together. Instead, we're stuck with Ben Affleck's disappointed face backed by The Sound of Silence.

See I'm going to disagree about the tone of the Arrowverse. Well, no I'm not. I'm going to disagree that it couldn't fit in the DCEU. Yeah, apart from Arrow it's fairly light hearted but not every character or film in Marvel is jokey and the comic relief. Different characters naturally set a different tone. That's sort of where DC is going wrong. They want dark and gritty and serious for every film which some characters just don't fit into.

They give in to the public too much too. Suicide Squad was recut by the company that made the first trailer. Whedon recut Justice League after Snyder left -

Admittedly why Snyder left is completely understandable but why not get someone who was already involved to finish it off instead of hiring Whedon in from outside who everyone knows is a completely different style of film maker.

It just seems like they're throwing a bunch of *** at the wall and hoping something sticks, but instead their wall is just covered in ***.

Hell... I could make a better superhero film than 90% of the people involved at Warner/DC.

Also avoid Inhumans.

Also watch Punisher I'm hooked.

Don't get me wrong, it's not that the Arrowverse just flat out couldn't be involved in the DCU. It just couldn't be involved in the one they're trying to make. It would have to take a huge change in direction and it just isn't happening.

Marvel might not have every character be comic relief but it's more that they just don't take themselves too seriously during downtime, which is very similar to the characters in the Arrowverse. There has been very little of that in the DCU so far.

• 1 month later...

I haven’t been on here for a while.

But in the meantime I have had 6 weeks off work following major surgery.

So plenty of time for box sets.

If anyone is looking for recommendations and haven’t seen the following:

Tin Star - best thing I have watched in years

Ozark - really, really good

Stan Lee’s Lucky Man - very silly but a lot of fun

100 Code - weird American/Scandavian police drama with an English star - but really enjoyed it.

You, Me and The Apocalypse- if ever a show wasn’t destined to have a second series! But it is darkly comic throughout.

Would recommend all.

I also TRIED to watch The Wire, again.

I have had it recommended by so many people whose opinions I trust and respect. But this is the third time I watched it.

First time I gave up after series one

Second time I gave up half way through series 2

This time I got to the first episode of series 4.

And it is ***. There is no other word for it. Boring, predictable, dull as dishwater. There is not a single likeable character - hero or villain. I am clearly missing something. But I can’t figure out what.

100 Code - weird American/Scandavian police drama with an English star - but really enjoyed it.

You, Me and The Apocalypse- if ever a show wasn’t destined to have a second series! But it is darkly comic throughout.

Would recommend all.

I have had it recommended by so many people whose opinions I trust and respect. But this is the third time I watched it.

And it is ***. There is no other word for it. Boring, predictable, dull as dishwater. There is not a single likeable character - hero or villain. I am clearly missing something. But I can’t figure out what.

Can't believe what you're saying about the Wire! Absolutely loved it!

I watched it years ago mind, so there was no hype. I think if something gets overhyped massively it often disappoints.

Would recommend all.

Can't believe what you're saying about the Wire! Absolutely loved it!

I watched it years ago mind, so there was no hype. I think if something gets overhyped massively it often disappoints.

I also love the wire, but I've never been able to convince anyone else to get into it. It certainly divides opinion. Same with Deadwood.

I'm just re-watching Black Sails at the moment in preparation for Sea of Thieves on the Xbox.

I also daren't watch The Wire. I've heard a whole bunch about it being the best show ever to have appeared on TV (which I would undoubtedly dispute) and perhaps wouldn't be able to watch it without thinking about that high praise.

The Wire was ***ing amazing and if you think otherwise then quite frankly, you're wrong. Superbly written, superb acting, I loved it.

It has been hyped up a lot since it finished though, I will admit that. But when it first broadcast it was miles better than anything else on telly.