oneBoro Forum

Music, Films and TV Series

British Dramas I've loved lately:

Trauma on ITV and Collateral on BBC1.

The former was a 3 part mini-series over 3 consecutive nights and should be on catchup, Collateral only started on Monday but has another 3 episodes to go. Both feature John Simm, one of my favourite actors.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The jockeys must be feckin tiny 🤷‍♂️

All the prominent anti-vaxxers on social media have jumped on it, saying Hawkins was an anti-vaxxer and was forced to get the covid vaccination by the rest of the band, and conversely died as a result

Try both legs of the Villa Play Off games where Pulis tried to defend a 0-1 scoreline without a shot on target. Just when you couldn't bear to watch it any longer and things couldn't become any more t

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

American Crime Stories: Season Two started tonight on BBC. Dramatisation of the assassination of Gianni Versace.

Loved the first season - 'The People Versus OJ Simpson' (currently on Netflix)

Watched the first episode last night, looks like it could be as good as the first season, altho Cuba Golding Jnrs performance as OJ will take some topping

"Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" is back with a new series!

If it's even half as good as the 1970s productions it'll be well worth setting an alarm.

Tune in to Radio 4 on Thursdays at 6:30 pm.

American Crime Stories: Season Two started tonight on BBC. Dramatisation of the assassination of Gianni Versace.

Loved the first season - 'The People Versus OJ Simpson' (currently on Netflix)

Watched the first episode last night, looks like it could be as good as the first season, altho Cuba Golding Jnrs performance as OJ will take some topping

Watching it again after introducing my wife to it. Cuba's performance really is immense; some fantastic work from so many actors in this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

another one to check out on Netflix for you. Seven Seconds.

just binge watched in two days....really good.

It took you two days to watch seven seconds? Did you keep pausing it every few milliseconds? :D

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone seen Infinity War yet? What did you make of it? I went to watch it last night. It had everything in it, action from beginning to end, but I wouldn't rank it as the best Marvel movie to date. Preferred GoTG and Thor: Ragnarok.

action from beginning to end

I already disagree with you on this. Also got to see it yesterday. It was good but like you say, by no means the best. Though I still think Winter Soldier tops my list. I don't think any MCU movie has really topped that mindblowing twist.

By no means a marvel fan but from the outside I don't see how a film with around 40 main characters can have any semblance of a strong plot or character development to make it an actual decent story.

Well the character development never happens during the movies with 40 characters, so that's a start. The only reason Spiderman jumped in and worked the way he did in Civil War is because everyone knows Spiderman. And the one character who needed the development (the baddie Thanos) got more than enough time on-screen to develop his character in a way that had only been alluded to in post-credits scenes in the past.

I don't think a MCU film lives or dies on a really strong plot though. It has to be a truly dreadful plot for it to tank, like Thor: The Dark World. It's all about the characters, that's why their names are the headlines of their movies. And in the crossovers, it's about the interactions between characters people already know and love. These crossover movies live and die on hitting the right tone with interactions between Iron Man and Star Lord, between Thor and Rocket Raccoon, etc. etc.

But it doesn't mean an MCU film can't have a great plot or at least a significant event to really have moviegoers think about the bigger picture. Which is why Winter Soldier still probably tops my list. It's the only MCU plot point I can think of that had huge repercussions that nobody really saw coming. Civil War's twists and turns don't come close because its entire selling point was two Marvel heroes will fight one another, it was only ever a question of why. Winter Soldier dropped a bomb that people who follow the MCU but have barely read a comic in their lives (like myself) that was completely unexpected and started to significantly destroy foundations that made their universe safe.