oneBoro Forum

What's gone RIGHT and what DOES NOT need to CHANGE?

i always point the finger at AK's team selection when its going wrong(even we we are winning i get annoyed but dont bring it up so much).

thinking about it a little deeper, AK has a system and a way of playing in his mind, he also takes into account the opposition.

we all look at it more simplified, we see our players and want the players we like in the positions we think best for us. now what we don't see is everything that goes on the whole week leading up to the games.

i'm thinking why dont we play stuani upfront with nugent behind him to give us more presence in the box for adomah and downing to pick out.

AK might think well if he does that hes losing other things, like it would make the system more rigid as nugent is going to stay central. which is getting further away from his fluid forward 3 philosophy. downing and adomah will then end up further forward exposing the defence or deep leaving the striker isolated. like last season when we were pressed back. which does not seem to have happened to often this season, coincidence?? vossen and tomlin were not right for the link play so we got shot of them. stuani/nugent must not be right, with downing and fabbrini better fits. the no10 position takes priority for him, if he has to change it he moves the inside forward/wingers about to accommodate.

if we go up this season i think he'll be spending all his kitty on better wingers. swansea have montero and ayew playing there, they are a decentish prem side. to do well we'll need better than what we have.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to XG we should be top of the league with five wins and 15 points! Of course XG never tells the full story and I'm not actually suggesting we should have five wins, but it does point to

It’s the complete opposite of this thread, but Wilder needs to set us up with more of a solid structure in midfield as it's simply not working at the moment. I appreciate that Wilder wants exciting fo

Thought I’d resurrect this classic just in case 😛

There's a strange mentality on this forum where you've got to be a cheerleader for all things boro. Everyone agrees we've had a good week but we are 14 games into the season and we are 4th.

Or to put it another way we've not been good enough in the first quarter of the league to achieve our publically stated ambition. Now let's clear that statement up we are doing well but not yet good enough. We are three points off top but also three points off sixth.

I can't believe anyone who was at Wolves or Rotherham comes away delighted with our performances (good results). There were plenty of positives to take from the game like coming from behind and being patient against Wolves but we certainly aren't there yet and we have parts of the team that need improvement.

I personally though CT's comments were quite objective and a reflection on where we are. I think it's quite similar to situations we were in several times last season. I'll be interested to see what we do against Hull as not all three points in this league are equal.

If you didnt come away from the game yesterday delighted with our performance then your expectations are very unrealistic

Because we weren't great and our normal problems were still there. Don't let the result disguise the performance. Did we attack well or were Charlton set up so that there was no other choice. How many clear chances did we make or great saves did we force there keeper into.

Until we took quite a fortunate lead (good awareness from nug as well) we were coasting to a draw. Our set pieces were still poor and the few chances they had were as a result of our defence trying to press the self destruct button.

I'm pleased with result but Charlton are the type of team you beat early and get your rest in game. There is still plenty room for improvement.

Why do you continue to constantly post this negative ***, its getting really boring now 

Beat a pretty decent Wolves side, go away to a champions league team and win then win 3-0 at home after previously winning 7 games out of 10. And you still find something to twist about

I never said the Wolves side weren't decent, I said we were poor for an hour and we were.  We didn't go away to a Champions League team and win, we drew 0-0.  Still a very good performance and result as I've said here and elsewhere but we didn't beat them in the same way as we didn't lose to Liverpool last season.  Charlton we played well as I said on the matchday thread yesterday. Nothing negative about any of that and the point isn't that we did badly this week it's whether this week will carry on into the next week and so on.  

As I said in the post you quoted but obviously didn't read - It's good but is it a definitive sign that we've improved?  I'm not so sure yet.  I think Hull could show that one way or another.

If I was being negative I'd have simply said we hadn't and also I wouldn't have said it was good.  Sadly we have another childish post from someone that can't tell the difference between objectivity and negativity.  But anyway if you don't like my posts then please feel free to block me.  At least then I won't have to read your infantile replies.

I agree with changing times and typicalbrough on this one.

To many boro fans opinions are swayed by 1 game. For example after the Leeds game we were guaranteed champions. 2 games later after Cardiff everyone needed sacking and we needed to start from scratch. Next game comes against wolves and all is rosey again.

Surely we have learned that you can't judge the team over a full season based on individual games by now?

I remember a couple of months back I posted that we still needed a striker in January and that ended up in a huge debate with most people agreeing we no longer needed another striker because we have nugent. Cue the Fulham and Cardiff games and those same people are crying out for a new striker, now I'd bet half of them thinker don't need one anymore.

You have to average everything out and look at all aspects beyond just the results. Against Leeds we won 3-0 but imo we were terrible, the wolves game had me more relieved than pleased. Personally I always look through the result at the performance and think 'did we deserve it, was it convincing, was it lucky?'

I was happy with the charlton game because although they had Everyman behind the ball we looked inventive, we moved the ball well and created chances. Compare that to Leeds game, same score line but we could barely string 3 passes together.

If I start to notice a few less than convincing wins where we win by the odd goal which was scored through luck or a set piece then I get a bit worried because it will always come back to haunt you and the wins turn into draws and defeats.

That's why I agree with changing times, wolves win was not convincing, but charlton game was. Is that enough to get me all excited again? No let's see us carry on with the performances at man Utd and against charlton. If we turn up at hull and have a repeat performance of Bournemouth/Watford away games last season then we're just back at square one.

Some of our performances against poor teams have been just like last season & AK's over cautious style of playing remains the same, Imo those two things combined cost us promotion last season so that's why I have been edgy up to now.

The Hull game hopefully will give an idea of how much we have improved but tbh I don't think it will tell us anything whatever the result.

Some of our performances against poor teams have been just like last season & AK's over cautious style of playing remains the same, Imo those two things combined cost us promotion last season so that's why I have been edgy up to now.

The Hull game hopefully will give an idea of how much we have improved but tbh I don't think it will tell us anything whatever the result.

We have scored more goals than 22 other teams in the division, I struggle to see how we are 'over-cautious'. Mind you, you said that we should beat Charlton 'at least 5-0', so I don't know if perhaps your expectations are a bit high.

We have scored more goals than 22 other teams in the division, I struggle to see how we are 'over-cautious'. Mind you, you said that we should beat Charlton 'at least 5-0', so I don't know if perhaps your expectations are a bit high.

we are over cautious, same way as chelsea were/are over cautious under jose. we dont play like bournemouth doesn't mean we wont score many. we have been the better team in pretty much every game. thats why we are scoring goals. if we went all out like muff we would score more goals, there is more goals in the team than we show imo. 

if we are off form our attacking game is what suffers most, because we are defensively set up to be solid first. defence is AK priority that's what i think is giving us more trouble in games than we might expect. like preston, fulham, reading we just didnt attack enough, include several other games were we did nothing for large chunks of the games but got it together and won through.

who's to blame for that lack of penetration? AK? the players? or both?

AK system is partly to blame but not the sole cause of it. the players need to do more, its a delicate system. look at chelsea its all gone wrong for them big style playing the same/similar system. swansea not won in 6 playing similar/same system. 

it seems to be a fault of the system, when ts working everything is great, when not it falls apart a bit.

unbeaten and 3 wins since the birth of my daughter AK2... coincidence?....

Yes  :D

Have another couple of kids when we get in the PL

Starting.................           NOW   :D

already thinking about the next one, should I go for SG or GF as initials? :D

Results wise it has been a good start to the season. Not fantastic but not bad either, and yet there is nothing to suggest that we are going to run away with it. We have scored quite a few goals and our defence has been solid like last year. However, I think most will agree that our performances have been lacking. I have only seen a few games on dodgy streams and while we have picked up convincing wins we have to play better when we come up against better opposition like Hull, Brighton etc. From listening to the radio and watching the highlights it looked like we were moving the ball around quickly and eventually found a way through 3 times against a team with 10 men in the box throughout 90 mins. Thats not always easy and we have struggled with that in the past.

Whether the performances will get better from now on after players like Downing, Stuani and Nugent have acclamitised to the Championship remains to be seen, but there is no doubt that we can improve. This also means that Karanka will allow the team to attack and hopefully the games against Fulham and Cardiff have tought him that we need a different/alternative approach when facing certain opposition.

I'll have no qualms about playing like we did at Old Trafford when we visit Hull. I'm confident that we can keep them from scoring and a point there will be great. We certainly also have the ability to break forward and nick a goal. If we hadn't conceded inside the first minute at Reading I'm sure we could have gotten a point. It's all about different approaches to different opponents.

If our performances aren't up to scratch and we are still getting results, why the hell are we complaining?

Winning ugly is still winning.

I think some of you lot would still moan if we won every game 3-0, "oh, we should have won 4-0", "why isn't Forshaw getting a game?".

If we win 3-0 its obviously because the opposition are rubbish. If we win 1-0 its not convincing. Win 5 in a row and weve played no one decent yet. Lose 2 and we clearly arent good enough

• Like 1

If we win 3-0 its obviously because the opposition are rubbish.  If we win 1-0 its not convincing.   Win 5 in a row and weve played no one decent yet. Lose 2 and we clearly arent good enough

spot on that rich  :D

This thread is great reading, I thought it would have been forgotten about after midweek.

Personally I think we all have a right to moan and complain when we are playing rubbish and not winning. Its really annoying and I don't know how people don't get angry and want to just shout at anybody within earshot, I know I do.

But ultimately if we win I'm happy even if we were lucky like Leeds. I know it would be a worry long term to keep winning by being lucky but I don't think we've had many other games this season where you could say we robbed the other team, maybe Forest should have got a draw off us actually. I think we probably deserve to be where we are, currently not quite good enough to go up automatically but I think we've got a lot of good options in the squad and come May I expect to finish top.

If our performances aren't up to scratch and we are still getting results, why the hell are we complaining?

Winning ugly is still winning.

I think some of you lot would still moan if we won every game 3-0, "oh, we should have won 4-0", "why isn't Forshaw getting a game?".

For the second time in recent weeks I am 100% in agreement with you my friend.