oneBoro Forum

What's gone RIGHT and what DOES NOT need to CHANGE?

Got a text to say that Ayala is out for three weeks.

Yeah, I read that on twitter too.

So we are looking at 5-6 games. Quite a few games without our best defender. We simply must score more goals now.

An alternative account of events is saying that he might be back for Leeds.

• Replies 680
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

According to XG we should be top of the league with five wins and 15 points! Of course XG never tells the full story and I'm not actually suggesting we should have five wins, but it does point to

It’s the complete opposite of this thread, but Wilder needs to set us up with more of a solid structure in midfield as it's simply not working at the moment. I appreciate that Wilder wants exciting fo

Thought I’d resurrect this classic just in case 😛

Got a text to say that Ayala is out for three weeks.

Yeah, I read that on twitter too.

So we are looking at 5-6 games. Quite a few games without our best defender. We simply must score more goals now.

An alternative account of events is saying that he might be back for Leeds.

Really? Where have you heard that? What a boost that would be mind.

Never mind. Someone linked to a Northern Echo article and claimed that it said he could be back, but I just read the article and it doesn't actually mention Leeds at all.

1) We're second in the league, ideally we'd be first.

2) We didn't play particularly well today, hopefully we will on Tuesday

3) Some of our fans expect far too much, they shouldn't.

In reference to your point number 3, what exactly should we be expecting? We have the best squad in the league we have the biggest spend etc. We should be expecting the best.

Can I just say that asides from obviously wanting us to win, I go to football matches for entertainment and enjoyment whether we do win, lose or draw and for some reason I feel that a significant portion of the home games I've been to this season I've watched us play boring, negative football, whether we've lost, drawn or come away with narrow 1-0 wins.

Home games off the top of my head I can list are Fulham, Rotherham, QPR, Birmingham, Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn not to mention the away games such as Brentford and Bristol City most recently, and then there was Huddersfield where we somehow managed to come away with a 0-2 win which was a miracle.

I am absolutely buzzing about our position in the table but for all our attacking signings in the summer we're scoring less goals than we were last season and I feel it's our defence that has got us to where we are now.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I hope these new January signings can make the difference and inject a new lease of life into the team because I feel with the squad we have we needn't necessarily be scrapping with teams around us to keep our position in the top two, I think we have the potential to go top and put clear space between us and and whoever it may be in second place.

I've never found winning boring personally.

In reference to your point number 3, what exactly should we be expecting? We have the best squad in the league we have the biggest spend etc. We should be expecting the best.

Can I just say that asides from obviously wanting us to win, I go to football matches for entertainment and enjoyment whether we do win, lose or draw and for some reason I feel that a significant portion of the home games I've been to this season I've watched us play boring, negative football, whether we've lost, drawn or come away with narrow 1-0 wins.

Home games off the top of my head I can list are Fulham, Rotherham, QPR, Birmingham, Burnley, Sheffield Wednesday, Nottingham Forest and Blackburn not to mention the away games such as Brentford and Bristol City most recently, and then there was Huddersfield where we somehow managed to come away with a 0-2 win which was a miracle.

I am absolutely buzzing about our position in the table but for all our attacking signings in the summer we're scoring less goals than we were last season and I feel it's our defence that has got us to where we are now.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that I hope these new January signings can make the difference and inject a new lease of life into the team because I feel with the squad we have we needn't necessarily be scrapping with teams around us to keep our position in the top two, I think we have the potential to go top and put clear space between us and and whoever it may be in second place.

And if we win or draw tomorrow night we will be experiencing the best any team in this league has mustered so far, yet people aren't happy. Hence why I say people are expecting too much.

And if we win or draw tomorrow night we will be experiencing the best any team in this league has mustered so far, yet people aren't happy. Hence why I say people are expecting too much.

People aren't happy at the dip in form which i think is understandable. On the whole the fans should expect us to be top 2 which is completely reasonable given the outlay Gibson has made.

After a few days of recovery after the Blackburn game, my thoughts are that the mentality of the squad is the problem right now, not the formation, not the ability of the players, just the mentality.

When I think back to games earlier in the season, even the Derby game, I think of a team that had confidence in its ability, a team that mentally had every intention of winning. Not just winning the game, but winning the ball, winning the 50/50s. That team played with swagger, with energy, with focus.

Over the past few games I believe all of this has been missing. Against Blackburn I saw the opposition win the ball, beat us to the ball, come out with it in most 50/50 challenges. I saw our players look half-hearted in the challenge. I didn't see the same desire to win I've come to expect.

Uncertainty and fear has crept into our game. Karanka says today that the transfer window has affected his team. Maybe that is the case. It's over now and it's up to him to get that mentality and determination back into his players. A team can't play with the intensity he desires if they're not mentally committed.

I'm confident that if the belief and determination comes back, the chances and goals will flow and so too will the results. It's pretty much as simple as that for me.

MK Dons tonight is a great opportunity away from home. Away from our fans, away from the expectation that now hovers over the Riverside like a dense fog. Anyone at the game on Saturday must have noticed the anxiety from the crowd. The expectations are high (and rightly so) but I think the opposition knows that right now if they frustrate us, force us into mistakes, the groans quickly kick in. For a group of players lacking in confidence, that can't help. I don't care whether people think that they are highly paid professionals and should be able to deal with it, it is simple psychology and they're human and that anxiety in the crowd is going to have an affect on them. If support from the crowd can act like a 12th man and boost the team, then so too can it diminish the team's effectiveness when the crowd is negative. It's catch 22 - we need to bring back the positive vibe, backing the players and urging them on but for that to happen the players need to perform and win back the fans. Numbers are now there supporting the club and that's great, but numbers with expectations can be a monkey on the back when things aren't going well.

Anyway, that's all that is wrong for me. Individual ability is there. Team ability is there. The formation isn't a problem, the mentality is what is holding the team back right now. Get them back to enjoying the football and the good stuff will flow.

I 100% agree with this. Great post +1

Confidence and 'the swagger' applies at all levels of football and is a massive factor. Confident teams play more naturally, allowing the better players to show what they can do - giving the vital edge in tight games. Yes a big crowd can be a 12th man but also a monkey on your back as you say. The crowd most certainly was a 12th man at Derby - we (the fans) were awesome, but at some other home games I have been to this season we have been flat or even negative.

Yes I know the players have to give us something to shout about etc. but it does work both ways. The players really don't need to be told when its not going right - I think they are probably aware. When someone is down on the floor you can either pick them up, do nothing or stamp on their head. I don't think we are quite at the booing stage yet like the Derby fans (in their own big crowd) but the atmosphere has not been what it could be at recent home games. I think we are all a bit anxious and that anxiety must surely be transmitting to the players.

At the Etihad last year I was unlucky enough to be in the Man City end. They were booing everything the home team did coz they weren't 5-0 up against us by 3 minutes in - so negative - and in the end their negativity got them what they deserved.

Its what expectation brings unfortunately. When Man City were average in the Maine Road days their fans were great every match.

Our players are feeling the pressure at the moment - that is the problem. I think we all got a bit ahead of ourselves in the race a few games back and while the players got a bit of stage fright / headlight dazzle as a result - I think we the fans and a lot of other people thought we had it in the bag. The Bristol defeat was a shock (and the late manner of it) and we have not really recovered since.

We as a team, a club and supporters now need to approach every game like that Derby game or the Brighton game. Knowing the opposition, whoever they are, are good and getting ready for a fight, and working together to get this club over the line. If our players perform to their ability then overall we will win most games, we can help them.

We should all be loving this. We are 2nd in the league on GD. COME ONNNN BORO!!

• 3 weeks later...

One of the big changes we've made is Gaston. He's a proper no 10. He plays about 5-10 yards further up field when we are attacking, gets past the CF but also tracks back.

It's a thing of beauty when he breaks play up around halfway and just looks to drive forward.

Couldn't agree more, typical.

Also, for a player who was earmarked as lazy before he arrived, his workrate has really impressed me. Plus, his feet when in the box are fantastic at creating space.