oneBoro Forum

Boro v Wolves (A) 3-1

Just popped over onto the Wolves forum to read their views on the game. They thought we were a very cynical side, and quite a few of them were disgusted by it. One even wanted us and Derby to choke in the play offs. :D

One poster thought Fabbrini was "outstanding".

• Replies 572
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Just popped over onto the Wolves forum to read their views on the game. They thought we were a very cynical side, and quite a few of them were disgusted by it. One even wanted us and Derby to choke in the play offs. :D

One poster thought Fabbrini was "outstanding".

I think we are a cynical team tbf.

just got back and i must say i have never seen the players so emotional over a result. They were buzzing at full time few players actually came into the crowd and give there shirts to fans. Downing "rest" seemed a masterstroke was the difference. Karanka stayed out and shook every players hander on way off and hugged downing. But a special mention has to go to Nugent i have NEVER seen a player get through so much running on a pitch he was immense even in 90th minute with nothing left still chasing ball down was brilliant

I wasn't there but going by the radio it sounded like the typical curling into a ball and accepting defeat performance up until Downing came off the bench and seemingly playing like a man on a mission. Hopefully Karanka's man management of dropping him will help turn his for around. If anything he'd have probably deserved to be dropped a good few weeks before as he's generally been poor. If we get a fully firing Downing for the majority of this season then it will take a massive cock up for us to miss out on the automatic promotion spots at the end of the season.

Our performances have been slap bang average for the vast majority of this seasons so I'll happily accept our position in the league. You can't blame Karanka for his post match comments as he's got to try and get confidence flowing again. I don't believe for one minute that he thinks things are as rosy as his post-match interview would suggest. It's management.

Regardless, let's enjoy the 3 points and the obvious confidence boost that it will bring. The players celebrations after the goals, especially Leadbitter's, show how much that result was needed. We've got two very winnable league games next so we're still in a very strong position to get our noses in front of our promotion rivals. This season was never going to be a walk in the park, neither was it a crisis after recent results. Roll on Charlton next Saturday. The result in the Man Utd game is an after thought to me, though, that will largely be down to me not going :P The priority is the league to me as come the end of the season promotion will be all that matters.

just got back and i must say i have never seen the players so emotional over a result. They were buzzing at full time few players actually came into the crowd and give there shirts to fans. Downing "rest" seemed a masterstroke was the difference. Karanka stayed out and shook every players hander on way off and hugged downing.  But a special mention has to go to Nugent i have NEVER seen a player get through so much running on a pitch he was immense even in 90th minute with nothing left still chasing ball down was brilliant

Happy Grant :heart:

CSGWp98WUAAU5pU.jpg

just got back and i must say i have never seen the players so emotional over a result. They were buzzing at full time few players actually came into the crowd and give there shirts to fans. Downing "rest" seemed a masterstroke was the difference. Karanka stayed out and shook every players hander on way off and hugged downing.  But a special mention has to go to Nugent i have NEVER seen a player get through so much running on a pitch he was immense even in 90th minute with nothing left still chasing ball down was brilliant

Happy Grant :heart:

CSGWp98WUAAU5pU.jpg

Love it ❤️

I'm just glad we were finally able to win after going behind, something that's a been a real problem for so long now and it must have been having a mental effect on the players.  I was checking the scores from work and I thought the worst when Wolves scored, but things look a lot brighter now. 

A decent performance against Utd (win or lose), then two games at home where we can pick up the full 6 points and put pressure on Brighton up top.  Glass half full again!

Was it really that bad Boro 86?

I mean the bulk of the performance.

As far as i,m concerned NO it wasnt 

We were playing a team, granted not pulling trees up in the Championship,

but certainly not whipping boys

They were up for this game, and proved it in the first half, and for parts of the 2nd

OOHHH and we were away from home  :blush:

I think some Boro fans think we are going to walk all over teams and dominate from the first whistle :-/

Having said that, would like to see us break from our own box a lot faster than we do

We certainly seem to have a "slow burning" approach to attack

Which brings frustration to the watching fans i think

Nugent had another tireless marathon game, fast becoming my favourite player

Nsue had a steady away game, would like to see him take a defender on ,now and again

Nando consistent has hes been since coming back into the fold  :heart:

Ayala i,m a bit concerned about at the moment, seemed to be caught out of position , and wandering around looking lost sometimes (sleepless nights with a new baby perhaps  :P)

Friend back to being solid, had a good game

Adomah and Downing subs well documented

Fantastic game, coming from behind?, another hoodoo banished  :heart:

For those who never went and have had to rely on poor highlights of the game, check out the sky sports app on your phone. I'm sure you all have Boro set to your default team.

Some very important saves by Dimi, and a superb clearance off the line by Ayala. Nugent had a half chance at the end also to make it 4-1.

I would sit in the middle of Boro 86 and Smoggo. THe first half was poor, the marking for the goal no-existent and Nsue and Kalas repeatedly got caught out on the right. De Pena was invisible for me and offered little and Leadbitter had his boots on the wrong feet.

HOWEVER, we did try to have a few shots from around the box, positive No1, Fabbrini goal the casing point.

George looked more like his old self (if only he had a right foot)

Nsue was steady second half

Clayton was immense for me

Stewy was the difference when he came on, barely misplaced a pass and all over the front line looking for the ball, alll capped off with a sweet free kick

Nugent was superb, his close control is quality and he just never stopped going

Dimi made a couple of class saves and looked assured

We came from behind and won, i am no longer a jinx for away games so all is now good in our house, UTB

For those who never went and have had to rely on poor highlights of the game, check out the sky sports app on your phone. I'm sure you all have Boro set to your default team.

Some very important saves by Dimi, and a superb clearance off the line by Ayala. Nugent had a half chance at the end also to make it 4-1.

That one handed save from Dimi low to his right was Neuer esque! And some important clearances from Ayala and Nando

I don't know if it's been mentioned in the thread but the atmosphere was close to turning a bit sour. Noticed a fair few arguments between fans close by which is always a worry. Could really feel the frustration building up.

Onto the game, we were poor again for 60 mins. Slow tempo, predictable passing and misplaced passes from the majority. The players have got to be given credit by the end though as none of them went hiding.The save from Dimi at 1-0 was the turning point imo. Clayton started to boss the middle, Nsue looked good at RB and Downing showed his class. Don't think he lost a ball and the free kick was excellent. I was encouraged by Friends performance, a few misplaced passes but definitely looked more like the George of last year. Some brilliant last ditch defending towards the end from Ayala and Nando, although you could probably argue the defending causing the chances was poor! Should we have started with that team or did AK get it right? Obviously the result says he did, and I feel that Downing might have needed dropping so thumbs up from me.

My man of the match was Nugent, what a workhorse that man is. Never stops, and at one point had to wrap his arms around the linesman as it looked like he was going to collapse! One of them days where you think how on earth did we win that? Bit I'd take that till the end of the season if need be.

Now I've sobered up, I'll give my match ratings (albiet brief because I'm on my phone).

Dimi- 7- he made some good saves and was solid and couldn't do much about their goal. One thing I will say though is his distribution is very slow, there were a few times at 1-0 down where Nugent was on the shoulder of the last defender screaming for it, and he took his time before hoofing it to one of their centre backs.

Kalas- 5- besides his shot and a very long throw in, he offered nothing going forwards and he was suspect defensively. There was a time in the first half where as the last defender he tried to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick, but was outmuscled by the Wolves player (Van la Parra I think) who then went through on goal. We were saved by his poor finishing as it was smashed into the side netting.

Ayala- 7- Apart from a few occasions he had the better of Afobe yesterday, he made a few mistakes, and took a few risks, but his last ditch blocks, tackles, and off the like clearances won us the match yesterday.

Amorebieta-5- I like the lad, but he takes too many risks at the back, and he was caught out a few times yesterday, and Ayala had to bail him out. One in particular sticks in my mind of him dribbling past the striker, and carrying the ball up the left wing where he had a lot of chances to release the ball. He held onto it until he was dispossessed, and had to commit a cynical foul and receive a booking to stop them breaking.

Friend- 8- he was our main attacking threat first half and linked up well with De Pena. Defensively, he was sound and wasn't beaten many (if any) times down the wing. My only issue with him was his passing. It was very poor and he gave the ball away needlessly quite a few times when we were breaking.

Clayton- 7- defensively solid as ever, barring a Gerrard esq slip. His passing was accurate too albiet a little negative by the standards he's set himself this season. You could see the passion he showed psyching the players and the crowd up when we were holding on at 2-1.

Leadbitter- 7- until we scored, he was poor. Losing almost every 50/50 ball in the middle and not winning headers. His passing was poor too, but he tried to be more positive than Clayton. I couldn't fault his workrate though. As soon as we scored he took on a different role. He pressed forwards a lot more leaving Clayton to sweep up, and we boxed them into their own half. His penalty was expert, and his celebrations wild, passionate, and frightening to small children :P. It was his surging run late on that won the freekick for Downing.

Nsue- 6- he was anonymous at right wing apart from some decent pressing of the left back first half, and a lovely bit of interplay with Nugent right at the start of the second half. Once he moved to right back he was much better. He linked up very well with Adomah, and their fullback struggled to deal with it. He was solid defensively too.

Fabbrini- ?- I don't know how to give his performance a number. One minute he'd turn two men with a fabulous bit of skill, then he'd misplace a five yard pass. On the whole I thought he had a poor match, losing possession repeatedly, running into blind alleys, and being sloppy defensively, but he also got us back into the game with a great goal.

De Pena- 5- he didn't have much of an impact, but looked very tidy in possession. His passing was neat, and some of his reverse passes to friend were great. But I don't feel he did enough, both with the ball, and defensively to merit anything more than a 5. The only impact he had on the game was a shot that flew over, and a wild two footed tackle that he was lucky to stay on the pitch for.

Nugent- 7- he was poor holding the ball up alone against two big centre backs, but his workrate was again impeccable. He chased every loose ball down for the full 98 minutes.

Subs:

Downing- 9- My man of the match despite only playing half an hour. He completely changed the game. He was eternally in space, intercepted stray passes from Wolves, and his passing was majestic. The time he nutmegged the Wolves player so causally was one of the highlights of the match for me. His pass to Friend for the penalty was pinpoint, and his freekick when the pressure was on was superb. The performance in that half hour is why we signed him. I hope we can see him play like that every week.

Adomah- 8- Dynamic from when he came on, to when he went off injured. He drove at their fullback and caused him problems. However he missed a good chance at 1-1.

Gibson- 6- not much time to make an impact, but he shored up the defence. His handball 40 yards out was comical. I'm not sure how the referee didn't see it.

Overall, I think we were lucky to win the game yesterday. We didn't deserve to win based on the performance for the first 70 minutes, but after a bit of magic from Fabbrini we dominated the game and they were there for the taking. They could've had a penalty (it might have been outside the box though, I couldn't really see) about a minute before Friend won ours, so in that respect we were lucky. If we perform like we did first 70 minutes for the rest of the season we won't finish in the top half of the table. If we perform like we did last 20, we'll be fighting for top 2.

Congrats on the win lads. You could tell that your lot weren't going through the best spell of form but the quality shone through when it mattered. The result was never in doubt after the equaliser.

You got a bit lucky with the Afobe offside decision and the penalty but Coady should've been sent off for a second yellow so probably about equal on that front.

Good luck vs United.