oneBoro Forum

Boro v Manchester United (A) Capital one cup 0-0 aet 3-1 Penalties

Well... my flatmate being a United fan makes this even sweeter. But what a win. Everyone played incredibly. Some quick match player ratings if no-one got a chance to see the match.

Mejias - 9 - Most shots in the game were at him, but commanded his area well and, of course, saved two penalties.

Kalas - 7 - Solid on the right

Ayala - 10 - Just the most outstanding performance from a centre back.

Gibson - 9 - Overshadowed slightly by Danny but dealt with everything that came into the box.

Friend - 8 - Back to his best. Should've scored but back to his usual running and defensive display.

Leadbitter and Stephens - 7 - Held the ball well when they got it in the middle of the park. Leadbitter's penalty was outrageous.

Nsue - 7 - Thought he played very well tonight with some neat passing. Some not so neat "fancy" skill at end though.

Downing - 8 - Looked dangerous every time he had the ball.

De Pena - 6 - A decent first half but anonymous in the second. I think he'll come good.

Kike - 8 - Some excellent hold up play but finishing still not there. Thought it was harsh to take him off really.

Zuculini - 7 - Solid in the centre of the park and some nice passing.

Clayton - 6 - Not much time on pitch.

Nugent - 6 - Great running and closing down but didn't get much time to do anything of note.

• Replies 703
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well... my flatmate being a United fan makes this even sweeter. But what a win. Everyone played incredibly. Some quick match player ratings if no-one got a chance to see the match.

Mejias - 9 - Most shots in the game were at him, but commanded his area well and, of course, saved two penalties.

Gibson - 9 - Overshadowed slightly by Danny but dealt with everything that came into the box.

Friend - 8 - Back to his best. Should've scored but back to his usual running and defensive display.

Leadbitter and Stephens - 7 - Held the ball well when they got it in the middle of the park. Leadbitter's penalty was outrageous.

Nsue - 7 - Thought he played very well tonight with some neat passing. Some not so neat "fancy" skill at end though.

De Pena - 6 - A decent first half but anonymous in the second. I think he'll come good.

Kike - 8 - Some excellent hold up play but finishing still not there. Thought it was harsh to take him off really.

Nugent - 6 - Great running and closing down but didn't get much time to do anything of note.

I think Kike had run himself into the ground to be fair. While I do agree Nugent is stronger with the ball at his feet I think it's harsh of the others to criticise Kike who did the job he was sent out there to do well. Playing a lone striker was playing it safe and if we'd have asked AK I'm sure he would have known it would be tough for any striker to be up front on a night like tonight.

I think Kike had run himself into the ground to be fair. While I do agree Nugent is stronger with the ball at his feet I think it's harsh of the others to criticise Kike who did the job he was sent out there to do well. Playing a lone striker was playing it safe and if we'd have asked AK I'm sure he would have known it would be tough for any striker to be up front on a night like tonight.

I didn't mean to criticise Kike, as I thought his hold up play was outstanding today. Like you said, he was sent out to do a certain job and did it well, bringing in other players to set them up.

I didn't mean to criticise Kike, as I thought his hold up play was outstanding today. Like you said, he was sent out to do a certain job and did it well, bringing in other players to set them up.

Not you Juninho, to you I was just saying he looked cream crackered at the end of his shift. Others had said they thought he was innefective and poor.

Just back from the game, my ears are ringing, my cheeks are hurting from grinning so much but that was one of the best nights of football I've seen in a while. To go out and win a tense tactical affair like that against one of the best teams in the country is what being a football fan is all about.

Ratings:

Meijas- 9 - other than a very short dodgy spell he was magnificent and what about those penalty saves!!!

Kalas - 8 - as we all already know, he's our best RB when it comes to defending and he showed it tonight, first stopping Depay from having any impact whatsoever then forcing Van Gaal to move Martial central as he was getting nothing against Tomas.

Ayala - 10 - what can I say that hasn't been said about this man? Karanka has turned a young error prone kid into one of the most dominant and confident centre backs I can remember seeing play for us. On a side note, I have no idea how he kept his shorts on tonight, what with having Wilson, Rooney and Martial all in his back pocket ;)

Gibson - 9 - he will be brilliant one day and is already pretty bloody good!

Friend - 8 - Classic George, not sure I need to say anymore.

Leadbitter - 8 - captain fantastic, lead by example and broke forward with speed and purpose.

Stephens - 7 - tidy little player who along with leadbitter helped shackle Uniteds more creative players rendering them completely ineffective.

NSue - 6 - strange performance from N'sue, he seemed reluctant to use the pace he has to try and beat a man. Did the basics pretty well and broke through with some neat play a couple of times.

Downing - 8 - that's more like the kind of performances I expect from him.

De Pena - 7 - having had a quick skim over the thread I think people are being a bit harsh on him, thought he was better than N'sue tonight and linked with George well. There's a good player in there.

Kike - 9 - played the lone striker role perfectly and IMO offered more of a threat during the game than Nuge did when he came on late. Good hold up play and a lot of fight, good to see his head hasn't dropped.

Subs:

Zucculini - 7

Nugent - 7

Clayton - Not of long enough.

Well done Mr Karanka, now just make it so that we can beat United and the likes twice a season.

Just got back

Performance of the season by a country mile and it will take some beating

Gibson and Ayala solid as a rock at the back

Downing showing his experience from the first whistle, brilliant

De Pena a bit out of his depth at the moment, a few more Championship starts will do him good

Meijas absolutely blinding game, good collections and outstanding saves

Kike did what he was there to do ,and did it well, lacks the skill and game reading of Nugent imo

Leadbitter back to his best again, never stopped chasing and closing down

Brilliant

Awful night. Great game, came back to find my car broken into - passenger window smashed and Satnav & wallet missing. R.I.P. Hope their nan falls over in the shower.

Just got back. I'm bloody buzzing like mad! Great night, support was amazing as was the performance and result. We knocked out MAN UTD in their own backyard, WOW. Will remember this night for a long long time. You wouldn't have thought Man Utd were a UCL team tonight, we looked more of a proper team than them.

Can't wait to read this match thread tomorrow, watch the highlights and come to terms with what we've achieved tonight.

So proud to be a Boro fan after that. And on that bombshell...

Goodnight.