•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just got back

Performance of the season by a country mile and it will take some beating

Gibson and Ayala solid as a rock at the back

Downing showing his experience from the first whistle, brilliant

De Pena a bit out of his depth at the moment, a few more Championship starts will do him good

Meijas absolutely blinding game, good collections and outstanding saves

Kike did what he was there to do ,and did it well, lacks the skill and game reading of Nugent imo

Leadbitter back to his best again, never stopped chasing and closing down

Brilliant

Well summed up. De Pena might not be too effective at the minute, but he is determined to get back and graft in. A trait that Aitor requires. I think he'll come good and last night will only be beneficial to him

Leadbitter was fantastic, looks like the player of two seasons ago. Keeping the game ticking. I also thought Stephens and the lad from City had great games....well everyone did to be fair.

Managed to get back around 2 as I heard about the m62 and took the back roads.

What, a night! The atmosphere from boro was absolutely electric. One of the most entertaining 0-0 I've ever seen. United were poor, martial was the only bright spot really. But boro, well every man out there gave it everything. It seems unfair to pick out individuals, but mejias in the pens was inspired. Ayala and Gibson through out looked unbeatable. Special mentions though further up for kike, who was an absolute beast holding up and winning balls he had no right to. Not only winning them but keeping possession superbly. Also nsue who was unbelievable in his contribution at both ends, for me theres no way Albert should walk straight back in after that.

Now I've had time to calm down, my Player Ratings:

MEJIAS - 8 - Actually didn't have a lot to do in the game. A few easy takes from shots straight at him, good command of his area, a nice save at the feet of an oncoming striker. And an amazing performance in the Penalty shoot out! Would've been a 9 but for that one spill.

KALAS - 9 - Made some absolutely phenomenal blocks and tackles throughout the game. Though he was our best player in the first half. By far his most accomplished op defensive outing in a Boro shirt.

AYALA - 10 - Another level from a player who is a massive contender for best defender in the second tier. Heroic performance full of heart, passion and bravery. Even managed a Hand of God!

GIBSON - 8 - Ayala always seems to benefit from Gibbo being on his left. A very unselfish player who brings out the best of those around him. Some excellent positional work last night, and a great penalty!

FRIEND - 8 - A fantastic first half both defensively and offensively. United realised his danger early on and curtailed it a little in the second half. Another Gorgeous display

LEADBITTER - 8 - Breaking forward, inch perfect diagonal passing, willing the team on. Great captains performance. Shame about his set pieces and composure in front of goal, though.

STEPHENS - 7 - A good outing from the lad; especially given his lack of game time this season. Very mature and picked a few good passes.

NSUE - 7 - Caused a good few problems for the United back line, getting into good positions. As usual, often tried to over complicate things, though. Always looks like he could add a burst of flair, though.

DOWNING - 8 - Another driving force within the team. Every time the ball falls ice,y to his left lot, you expect something extraordinary. His importance to our balance cannot be overstated.

DE PENA - 6 - Work rate wise, his best performance so far. Tracked back, made a few good tackles, but gets lacksidasical with his passing sometimes. Once he beds in, reckon he'll be good. Another p,Ayer who seems to have that spark of flair just waiting to ignite.

KIKE - 8 - A very intelligent and articulate performance from him, I though. Led the line very well and some great work to bring the three behind him into play. Seems to have finally found the knack of his go-to cheating down if long balls. Ran the channels nicely, but needed a bit more support from deep at times in order to penetrate through the best defence in the top flight.

SUBS:

Zuculini - 7 - A few good passes. Could be an astute short term acquisition.

Nugent - 7 - Excellent work rate and always dependable. Except from the penalty spot!

Clayton - n/a

I got back to the riverside around 2.20 as we took back roads too.

What an unbelievable night. Outstanding performances all round.

I see the criticism of De Pena and Nsue by some people, I think it is unfounded. I thought both worked tirelessly and put in decent shifts. I think De Pena is going to be a good little player.

Nsue is excellent as a winger. He needs to play there more often, his pace is blistering.

Ayala, outstanding as always. Also Gibbo!

Kike - did what he was there to do very well. He wont some excellent balls and kept possession brilliantly.

Very pleased with the entire team.

And how much of a machine is Friend. It's like he never gets tired. The Danish commentators on the game could only laugh when he did an overlap sprinting half the field in extra time. Incredible work rate from everyone involved and not a single player had to lay down with cramp. AK was right when saying we were fitter than them.

And the fact that we didn't have to resort to timewasting just oozed confidence. Now we must go and beat Charlton to back up this massive result. Very pleased that noone got a ban and that Clayton could be rested alongside Fabbrini and Nugent. Those three players are going to be extremely important on saturday.

I see the criticism of De Pena and Nsue by some people, I think it is unfounded. I thought both worked tirelessly and put in decent shifts. I think De Pena is going to be a good little player.

Nsue is excellent as a winger. He needs to play there more often, his pace is blistering.

Kike - did what he was there to do very well. He wont some excellent balls and kept possession brilliantly.

I was really impressed with Nsue last night. He was an important outlet and he tied Rojo up all game. His running was endless and i wouldn't have any qualms about starting him on the right again.

I too thought Nsue did a good job on the right. Always available and lots of running up and down. Would like him to try the earlier cross though, but we might see that in games where we have more bodies in the box.

I was really impressed with Nsue last night. He was an important outlet and he tied Rojo up all game. His running was endless and i wouldn't have any qualms about starting him on the right again.

Lots of flicks and tricks last night, some of which came off, but occasionally were a bit too much - overall tho I've been very impressed with him recently

Traffic was an absolute joke, getting to and from Manchester. M62 was so slow, thank god for Google Maps taking me the back roads that's all I can say.

However, so glad I went. The atmosphere was incredible, as was the performance from the players.

Leadbitter might just be the most passionate player ever.

Ayala is a ROCK at the back.

Kike did his job very well, almost forced a mistake or two out of Romero.

It actually felt like a cup final when it went to penalties and it was great to see the players react to the crowd afterwards. They were buzzing!