oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Ipswich (A) 2-0

boro-v-ipswich-SkyBet-graphic-change.jpg

Venue: Portman Road

K/O: 7.45pm

Previous result: Boro 0-2 Everton

Last game wasn’t a great result, despite a much improved performance. A few crucial slip ups and a failure to convert the chances that did come our way punished us in the end. Also that Spanish fella that flops around like a fish out of water.

Ultimately it means we’re now out of the cup, Naughty Boy is throwing a party at his house to celebrate. Slim shot at silverware gone, but at least we can now focus on the league.

Onto Friday then. I’m hoping for a storming boro performance and a 0-4 away battering for the away team, but of course that won’t happen because this is Portman Road – a place where we let Jay Tabb win headers in our 6 yard box.

Last season we lost 2-0 here. We got slapped around like a Russian, 20’s housewife in the first half. In the second half we were too static and idealess to create anything of note. I drove for a cumulative total of 10 hours for 90 minutes of self-loathing and emotional pain. 10/10 would not to Ipswich again. Sky Sports will do for me this weekend thank you very much!

We always lose at Portman Road, it’s one of the unhappiest hunting grounds we have. We have however won at Forest and t’Owls this season, so why not Portman Road? If we’re breaking hoodoos we might as well break them all!

With that I’d like to see the following team, one I feel will be capable of bringing the fight to Ipswich (as opposed to cowering in fear and hoping that big lump Murphy doesn’t get his head anywhere near a hoof):

-------------------Dimi---------------------

Nsue-------Ayala------Nando------Friend

----Leadbitter---------------Clayton------

Stuani----------Forshaw--------Downing

-------------------Nugent-------------------

Keeper doesn’t really need explaining. Not saying Mejias did anything wrong on Tuesday, but he didn’t exactly give any reasons he should oust our first choice keeper.

Nsue might be the most improved player of this season. His style is definitely ‘unorthodox’ and I swear the only way he gets past players is because he never looks like he has the ball under control and they have no idea what he’s going to do! He’s almost a mirror of George on the right side now, bombing up and down the flanks, seemingly never running out of stamina (potential synth). Starting to look more confident each game and was earmarked as a standout performer against Everton.

Ayala picks himself, but I’d be tempted to put Amorebieta alongside him. They’re a big, tough side are Ipswich and they’re not afraid to put it up in the air for the striker to challenge the centre half. Gibson isn’t brill at that and it shows, especially how he stays back for every corner. Fernando on the other hand is better in that area, although is probably more prone to scissor kicking Murphy in the face for ***s and giggles, cause that’s Nando.

Friend has no real competition for his spot until Husband gets back, even if his recent performances haven’t been quite to the high standards he’s set.

Leadbitter and Clayton need to play in midfield for me. When you’re against a team like Ipswich you need someone who’s not afraid to be a bad boi like Clayton, and Leadbitter will want to smash some skulls against his former team.

Just in front of them I’d pick Forshaw. We’re going to need to be careful in possession as Ipswich attack hard, and they attack fast. Fabbrini wouldn’t be a great fit – the game is also going to be physical and he’ll probably just get laughed at by the referee when he hurls himself to ground after someone breathes in his personal vicinity.

STUANI STRONK. STUANI PLAY.

De Pena showed nothing against Everton as he needed more time on the ball, Ipswich aren’t afraid of a strong tackle, we’d probably be sending his remains back to Uruguay if he started. Downing for me.

Nugent up front, has to be, they’re terrified of him. Poster on the Ipswich forum claims he has scored every single time he’s visited Portman Road and they’re insistent he’ll score again if he plays - Linky . Psychological edge here maybe?

I’m hoping for a good away performance, Pitman Sears & Murphy have started to spring to life and we need to find a way to close the doors to them. They cannot be allowed to have any influence in this domain if we are to win. Besides that the general view seemed to be Ipswich have a decent defence but that the midfield is their weakest area, hence playing someone like Forshaw in the no10 slot as he can drive forwards and also help us dominate the ball in the middle without giving it away.

I’m hoping for a 0-2 Boro win.

View from them:

"Murphy and Sears will cause anyone in this league problems. Our weaknesses have been lacking a coherent and structured midfield. This has improved dramatically in recent weeks, albeit against far weaker opposition than yourselves. We have also leaked a fair few goals but a clean sheet from our defence and keeper on Saturday has buoyed sentiment slightly. Many are still sceptical of our true credentials to compete in this league after being outplayed by Hull and Brighton." - TractorWood

"With Pitman and Murphy up front and Sears out wide we've got goals in us." -  Clive Baker

"Hello mate, your lot were up there as the best fans we had last season - along with Brentford and Sheff Weds. Down-to-earth and realistic, not like the knobs from Norwich and Derby or up their own ***s like Bournemouth's fans were last season...

...Nugent always scores against us, Downing is a class act at this level. Lead-boots is playing well for you, Ayala is one of the best CBs in this division and Adomah usually impresses as well. " - ITFC Forever

More here: Linky

Some stats or something:

Nugent's record vs Ipswich, as of Feb 2014, was 13 goals scored in 12 games. He was quoted as saying, regarding how many goals he scored, "It's a joke".

Boro's last win at Portman road came in the Premier League in 1993. We've lost our last 3 on the bounce there.

Overall record vs Ipswich: P 64, W 19, D 14, L 31

Talking points:

Score prediction?

Team prediction?

Will Boronut ever forgive me for my crimes?

As Will has mentioned, due to the lack of uploading on Wednesday, my Nan is now forfeit. What is the most convenient online platform for me to stream the blood sacrifice on?

Will we go up this season?

Was Mick McCarthy’s DNA stolen and used in the making of Sam Eagle?

Do the denizens of Norfolk (dirty yellow ***s) have an unfair advantage in maths by being able to finger-count their 12x tables?

Were you a OneBoro member fortunate enough to sample Borodane’s “Lort I en Flaske”?

Adding some pictures & ***ty if you don’t like walls of text, I’ll just periodically add to this. Please dry your eyes until then.

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I can see us picking up a very rare win at Ipswich. I reckon the players will be deperate to stay in the top-2 and get back to winning ways. We are in good form in the league and hopefully that continues. Really hope that Adomah doesn't start and it'll be good to have Friend back at LB instead of Nando who is clearly not a full back.

I'm not one to condone playing players out of position but Karanka has to find a way to fit Forshaw into the team. Surely putting him on the right of the attacking 3 would be better than playing Adomah there and Stuani simply HAS TO BE PLAYED centrally. In fact I think Forshaw as an attacking midfielder looks far better going forward than Leadbitter and Clayton, he's got good feet, he's neat on the ball and he seems to be able to pick out a pass further up the field. I mean just look at that touch from him against Huddersfield in the box to set up Nsue it was simply sublime.

A draw would be great here. Hope to see this team.

Dimi

Nsue Ayala Gibson Friend

Clayton Leadbitter

Stuani Forshaw Downing

Nugent

Yep spot on with the team, that's arguably our best team. Adomah should be nowhere near the first team right now, and Fabbrini is inconsistent and probably too lightweight for this tussle. More thoughts from me on this, this afternoon once I'm free

Dimi

Nsue Ayala Gibson Friend

Clayton Leadbitter

Stuani Forshaw Downing

Nugent

Yep spot on with the team, that's arguably our best team. Adomah should be nowhere near the first team right now, and Fabbrini is inconsistent and probably too lightweight for this tussle. More thoughts from me on this, this afternoon once I'm free

I think thats the team i would go for but think Adomah will probably get the nod ahead of Forshaw.

Dimi

Nsue Ayala Gibson Friend

Clayton Leadbitter

Stuani Forshaw Downing

Nugent

Spot on mate, i'd play this too.

Ipswich 1 - 2 Middlesbrough - Stuani, Nugent

A win to go top should be incentive enough. I'm going with a hard fought 1-0 win.

I don't want to see Forshaw in the 10 role. Square pegs. Round holes. If he's earned his place in the team drop Leadbitter.

A win to go top should be incentive enough. I'm going with a hard fought 1-0 win.

I don't want to see Forshaw in the 10 role. Square pegs. Round holes. If he's earned his place in the team drop Leadbitter.

What would be your team then? Forshaw has to be ahead of Fabbrini and Adomah in the pecking order for me.

Dimi

Nsue Ayala Gibson Friend

Clayton Leadbitter

Adomah Stuani Downing

Nugent

I don't know how tired Clayton is, if needs resting i'd have Leadbitter holding the midfield with Forshaw playing in the usual Leadbitter role.

What would be your team then? Forshaw has to be ahead of Fabbrini and Adomah in the pecking order for me.

Fabbrini can be frustrating & a bit inconsistent but he's probably our most creative/productive player... If he could just get his head up & pick out a teammate when he's open I don't think they would be much to complain about.

I can fully understand both sides of wanting him to start or not.

I would try him on the left like I mentioned earlier, All our players have the ability to interchange though.