oneBoro Forum

January 2016 Transfer Window

Maybe we never truly had interest in buying RM & Rhodes was & has always been first choice... Maybe we enquired about RM as a back up plan for if we couldn't sign Rhodes.

Absolutely no chance we will loan RM & Fulham loan Kike, Its makes absolutely no sense in their current position.

Nope. 

RM was our number one target. Even Lambert says we called Friday night about Rhodes with the serious offer. Suspiciously just after Fulham tell Ross he's not going.

I'm not so sure Brunner's.. We chased Rhodes very hard & I believe he was always our preferred choice but maybe we thought the Venky's simply wouldn't sell... Once Lambert took over at Blackburn everything changed because Lambert wanted rid of Rhodes from the off.

Then why did we wait till Friday night to make our offer? Lambert has been at Blackburn for weeks and it's been known he doesn't think Rhodes suits his playstyle for weeks.

And we wait till Friday night, when he's in a team hotel, to make our offer?

Don't know mate.. I find it hard to believe we only made contact with Blackburn yesterday/last night whatever anyone says.

You could be spot on though, Truth is, None of us know.

Gazette said we got right back in touch when January opened up, and there was also the story that Blackburn came to us and we weren't interested at the time.

Then Ross gets told by Fulham he's staying and suddenly we're ringing up Blackburn on a Friday night pushing a deal through.

nah, just all fits to nicely, Ross was 100% our number 1 target.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If Fulham aren't selling to us why would they sell to Hull/Derby? I'm calling it b******!  Still think there's a final twist in the tale, we shall see.

Maybe we never truly had interest in buying RM & Rhodes was & has always been first choice... Maybe we enquired about RM as a back up plan for if we couldn't sign Rhodes.

Absolutely no chance we will loan RM & Fulham loan Kike, Its makes absolutely no sense in their current position.

Nope. 

RM was our number one target. Even Lambert says we called Friday night about Rhodes with the serious offer. Suspiciously just after Fulham tell Ross he's not going.

I'm not so sure Brunner's.. We chased Rhodes very hard & I believe he was always our preferred choice but maybe we thought the Venky's simply wouldn't sell... Once Lambert took over at Blackburn everything changed because Lambert wanted rid of Rhodes from the off.

Then why did we wait till Friday night to make our offer? Lambert has been at Blackburn for a while and it's been known he doesn't think Rhodes suits his playstyle for weeks.

Lambert said that they got a call saying the deal was done on Friday night, we could've been in talks for weeks.

If Fulham aren't selling to us why would they sell to Hull/Derby? I'm calling it b******!  Still think there's a final twist in the tale, we shall see.

Nope. 

Then why did we wait till Friday night to make our offer? Lambert has been at Blackburn for a while and it's been known he doesn't think Rhodes suits his playstyle for weeks.

Our offer may have already been in. It could have been down to the fact that it was friday before they managed to sign a replacement for him so then allowed him to leave. This deal wont have just happened that quick when the venkeys are involved. We saw last summer it took days to get a reply from them. This deal was always on the cards i reckon.

I reckon it's true RM was #1 target, so much focus on him and so little on Rhodes. Carbon copy of the Rhodes situation in the summer. Rhodes was our #1 target, no focus on Nugent. We finally give up the chase and call Leicester about Nugent.

Albeit with Rhodes, I'm willing to believe that there was always a deal on the table for him and it was a case of Blackburn accepting it or not. They get in touch, say they're willing to accept if we up it slightly, we say no whilst we chase RM to see how that develops. Finally, Fulham reject request from RM and we go back to Blackburn.

Yeah I don't doubt that we've been in contact, I just think the timing is such a coincidence that Fulham rule Ross out - oh look, we're getting JR anyway lolnvm.

Is the timing also a coincidence that they signed another striker houra before he left that hotel. Would they have needed that striker if they weren't expecting jr ti leave?

Yeah I don't doubt that we've been in contact, I just think the timing is such a coincidence that Fulham rule Ross out - oh look, we're getting JR anyway lolnvm.

Is the timing also a coincidence that they signed another striker houra before he left that hotel. Would they have needed that striker if they weren't expecting jr ti leave?

Yes, they had a lad on loan from Leicester whose spell finished today.

we used ross as a smokescreen to get rhodes done. it gave us a better bargaining position. he was our No1 target all summer, nothing changed. but you dont have all your eggs in the same basket like nugent in the summer and now Ross as backup. we've basically got our own back on ross for a few years ago in the process of getting in No1 target, Gibson is a genious.

Also true.

But they had to know Watt was coming in before they went down to the hotel, right? Why did JR even bother going with them to the hotel if they were just going to sanction a move to Middlesbrough because Watt was now in?

I think Wilson has the most likely scenario, the offer was on the table, RM fails, we go back to Blackburn and sweeten it a little.

Do people really think the Rhodes deal was as simple as a phone call on a Friday night?

No, but I think it's a giant coincidence that we push it through on a Friday night, the same day Fulham tell us to sod off. 

The fact Blackburn didn't seem to be prepared for it and had sent him in their squad for Oxford suggests they weren't expecting it to be done then.

If Pritchard chooses us and Rhodes is sorted who cares where RM goes! I'd rather be faced with that problem than sitting on deadline day having not improved our squad which lets face it, Thursday/Friday we were starting to be slightly concerned.