• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

So if it was us rather than Rhodes being the problem then why are Blackburn angry at him and not us? Why would Gibson freak out at the last moment after chasing the player for so long? I don't think it was a case of Gibson not having the money, I mostly believe what has been said by the club and I think Rhodes came back and asked for too much and Gibson wasn't prepared to mess about. I don't think he would spend money in the summer only to get to this point and go 'hang on we might not get promoted here' and not fund a move for Rhodes in case that move turns us into Bolton.

I don't think much will happen tomorrow for us but I hope I'm wrong.

This is from a Blackburn forum and tbh it sounds plausible

"Boro knew wages in advance and agreed to them plus a 5yr deal, but didn't realise he had a 20% increase built in on promotion. Gibson wouldn't pay that, Rhodes' agent wouldn't take less than his current deal plus his fee (10% of transfer fee) which would've been paid as a signing on fee to Rhodes. Rhodes is not happy, this deal is not dead, if Rhodes wants to go then the signing on fee and/or wage increase will have to go. Gut feeling is this is Boro playing hard ball. Medical all complete so would be a quick completion if an agreement can happen. I believe it will tomorrow."

For once I think Steve Claridge is correct in his assertion that Rhodes is in a strong position with Blackburn needing rid and us needing a proven striker to achieve premiership riches and is trying his luck. If so this will go down to the wire and providing no other interest we will get deal done.

Is it just me..... or does anyone else get the feeling, after reading a load of the posts on here today, that quite a few people seem to have forgotten where we are in the league? {And lost a bit of perspective}?

If we win our game in hand we are 2 points clear at the TOP, and 7 points above third!

All these posts saying that if we don't make a big signing tomorrow we're stuffed - I'm sorry, but it's garbage. We ALL want Boro to get promoted, but we can do that with our current squad. They got us to where we are currently.

I was at Brentford and Bristol City, and so I know how poor we were, but we can bounce back from that. We've had two losses in a row (obviously not Brentford)... not great, but I'm sure it's just a blip.

Maybe Gibbo DID just change his mind... and suddenly had a reality check and thought "Hang on, why am I about to spunk a fortune here, when we already have a great squad and are in a superb position"!!

We don't need to BUY the league... we can win it anyway!

Here's the contentious bit... I actually quite enjoy the Championship because we're a bigger fish in that smaller pond. I quite enjoy seeing us at or near the top of the league. I have a mate who is a Norwich season ticket holder, and he's not finding this season as fun as last, 'cos Norwich are now back in another relegation battle.

I want us to go up (even though I like the Championship, it's not the PL).... but I don't mind watching us scrap for it. I quite like our squad already.

The Football League show did say last night that Bernie Slaven [one of my all time favourites] was our last striker to score 20 LEAGUE goals though. That's a while ago - Blimey!

But all the talk was about McCormack I posted something on the 20th Rhodes was never mentioned... So either a good guess.. And why would I put a bloody weeks wages on it... If I knew it was a guess or new it was falling through

Unless you can afford to lose it, why would you put a weeks wages on anything?

"Boro knew wages in advance and agreed to them plus a 5yr deal, but didn't realise he had a 20% increase built in on promotion. Gibson wouldn't pay that, Rhodes' agent wouldn't take less than his current deal plus his fee (10% of transfer fee) which would've been paid as a signing on fee to Rhodes. Rhodes is not happy, this deal is not dead, if Rhodes wants to go then the signing on fee and/or wage increase will have to go. Gut feeling is this is Boro playing hard ball. Medical all complete so would be a quick completion if an agreement can happen. I believe it will tomorrow."

Interesting...I really do think this might happen tomorrow.

Interesting...I really do think this might happen tomorrow.

I honestly think we will be back in contact with Rhodes tomorrow, Hopefully we sign him.. It sounds like an easy deal to get done if all involved want it done.