oneBoro Forum

January 2016 Transfer Window

Is it just me..... or does anyone else get the feeling, after reading a load of the posts on here today, that quite a few people seem to have forgotten where we are in the league? {And lost a bit of perspective}?

If we win our game in hand we are 2 points clear at the TOP, and 7 points above third!

All these posts saying that if we don't make a big signing tomorrow we're stuffed - I'm sorry, but it's garbage. We ALL want Boro to get promoted, but we can do that with our current squad. They got us to where we are currently.

I was at Brentford and Bristol City, and so I know how poor we were, but we can bounce back from that. We've had two losses in a row (obviously not Brentford)... not great, but I'm sure it's just a blip.

Maybe Gibbo DID just change his mind... and suddenly had a reality check and thought "Hang on, why am I about to spunk a fortune here, when we already have a great squad and are in a superb position"!!

We don't need to BUY the league... we can win it anyway!

Here's the contentious bit... I actually quite enjoy the Championship because we're a bigger fish in that smaller pond. I quite enjoy seeing us at or near the top of the league. I have a mate who is a Norwich season ticket holder, and he's not finding this season as fun as last, 'cos Norwich are now back in another relegation battle.

I want us to go up (even though I like the Championship, it's not the PL).... but I don't mind watching us scrap for it. I quite like our squad already.

The Football League show did say last night that Bernie Slaven [one of my all time favourites] was our last striker to score 20 LEAGUE goals though. That's a while ago - Blimey!

I don't think anyone's doubting our defensive achievements this year or the way we've grinded results out. I think people are seriously concerned our firepower at the tip of our 4231 is lacklustre at best. Our spear is crafted out of the finest wood with the strongest entwining lace but without a sharp tip it's just a fine stick.

We either have a top striker in to lead us to the prem now or we scrape through to the summer and enter that market to find one where Berahino's valued at 30 mill.

The club has shown ambition in previous windows but if we don't get that spearhead in tomorrow it'll feel like the last few windows where we're all left saying oh well at least we tried it's not a criticism or negative to say we'd be disappointed if we don't end up with anyone it's pretty warranted especially given past windows with the same 2 names.

• Replies 9.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Regarding the striker, I noticed earlier Caicedo wasn't in the squad for espanyol tonight, not sure if he's injured or not but after a quick Google search he has a release clause of £27million that was only put in his contract a few weeks ago so I can't see him leaving

Caicedo is injured, mate. And Espanyol acquired 100% of Caicedo's rights this week. He's not on sale.

I think we've probably already been back in touch. The whole thing has gone to far along now. Rhodes isn't wanted back at Blackburn by the looks of it and unless we have another option we need him. Every single person involved wants this move it just has to happen.

Will not happen, Gibson is stubborn

Maybe. But it's not being stubborn if the opposing part comes back and accepts your offer. He's a business man and has been dealing with agents for a lifetime. He knows they will try anything to squeeze a few extra quid. If the agent gets back and says "OK, we will have it your way because Jordan really wants to come" then I'm sure Gibson will happily say yes. Unless of course we have closed another deal.

It sounds plausible with that 20 pct wage increase and Rhodes will have to waive that clause.

This is from a Blackburn forum and tbh it sounds plausible

"Boro knew wages in advance and agreed to them plus a 5yr deal, but didn't realise he had a 20% increase built in on promotion. Gibson wouldn't pay that, Rhodes' agent wouldn't take less than his current deal plus his fee (10% of transfer fee) which would've been paid as a signing on fee to Rhodes. Rhodes is not happy, this deal is not dead, if Rhodes wants to go then the signing on fee and/or wage increase will have to go. Gut feeling is this is Boro playing hard ball. Medical all complete so would be a quick completion if an agreement can happen. I believe it will tomorrow."

I think some of that is against FA regulations.  I'm pretty sure Boro can't pay an agent through a player like that and I thought that an agent wasn't supposed to work for a club and a player on a deal?  The agent is employed by Rhodes therefore it's his job to pay him not ours and I don't see where the 10% of the transfer fee could come from as an acceptable payment.  If all of that was true then we did the right thing in walking away.

Someone on the Derby forum who seems to be clued up on it all thinks we're after someone else who will probably cost more than Rhodes, wonder whether this ties in with the foreign striker rumour...

Someone on the Derby forum who seems to be clued up on it all thinks we're after someone else who will probably cost more than Rhodes, wonder whether this ties in with the foreign striker rumour...

Got a quote or link? Sounds interesting.

Agent fees have always baffled me. Why do the clubs have to pay them when they're employed by the players?

It's like me paying you £1000 for taking £10000 off me...

They 'have to' pay them because the players won't pay them out of their own money and club's are so desperate that they'll do almost anything to land a player including paying for someone to try and get the worst deal possible for them as he tries to get the best deal possible for his actual client, the player.

I would guess he has just got that from here

I would guess he has just got that from here

No he posted it around 6 hours ago.

http://dcfcfans.uk/topic/19433-jordan-rhodes/?page=29

Page 29..

Rhodes would be paying the agent, it's just we provide him with the money to do so with the signing on fee. It's common place in football.

Well no, we'd be paying the agent just doing it through Rhodes although I get what you mean.  Bottom line is it amounts to them asking us for more money and we clearly aren't willing to do it.  If Rhodes wants the move then he can pay his own agent as he should be anyway, if he doesn't then he can forget it. I wonder what Rhodes' agent did that was so amazing it was worth £1m or why Rhodes would agree to pay his agent 10% of any transfer fee that he moves for or why his agent would agree to it cos he could move on a free and then presumably he get's nothing?  Nope he doesn't get nothing.  Like I said, it's crap and is almost certainly against the FA regulations.