oneBoro Forum

Victor Orta Recruitment role at Boro appointed

Before Karanka was appointed Steve Gibson was open to us moving towards a director of football/head coach so this is probably something roughly along the lines of that, obviously with Karanka's blessing. We've been adventurous with signings from the Spanish, Dutch, Belgian, Uruguayan and Italian leagues in recent seasons, without great success, so someone like Orta to work extensively on spotting and monitoring obscure targets should help us have more success in signing the right players. Particularly doing the hard yards of networking and snaking of agents. If we get promoted the majority of quality players domestically cost a fortune so the increased knowledge of foreign leagues players will help us make the most of our money compared to our rivals. Watford's sneaky foreign links from the Pozzo football empire has been instrumental in their promotion and very impressive Premier League campaign so hopefully we can find and sign a gem like Ighalo.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was just discussing this with my father, he's of the opinion it's a bad move, given how you only hear bad stuff in regards to them in English clubs (working under the assumption it's a Sporting director), whereas my argument is that on the continent they never really have any problems - indeed, I think they're quite commonplace.

Do you reckon there's a reason as to why they don't seem to work as well over here

The media have seemingly taken a stance of not liking directors of football in English football, you never hear the success stories because the press and pundits aren't interested in them.

Les Reed has been in overall control of football development (similar to director of football but probably a bit more control) at Southampton since 2010 and I think most would agree that he must be doing a great job?

Man City and Chelsea have both been running under a DoF for the last few years, achieving success whilst driving down the huge losses they were making and, I believe, both making a profit this financial year.

Very true Will. It's not as if we've rushed into it either. Gibson considered it a few years ago on recommendation from Kenyon, if I remember correctly, and Karanka has had his feet under the table for a good spell now to assess if there's any room to improve the way we're operating behind the scenes so obviously must think it would add something to us. Southampton's recruitment from abroad has been brilliant and the transition between managers has been very impressive also. Not to mention the way they integrate their top quality academy/young players into the first team. I've thought for the past 3 or so years that they're a realistic benchmark for us.

Les Reed at Southampton has worked fantastically. Keeping him in place during the transition between Potchettino & Koeman meant that the identitity of the side and the great work that had already been done was continued.

A Director of Football / Sporting Director can do loads of jobs, or a few. It all depends on the structure of the club. I have faith in Gibbo, AK and his team to make this work.

Looks like he's joining in a European recruitment role...not sporting director as initially thought. He'll be working alongside Gary Gill. Victor Orta find some decent players

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fc-back-room-new-10619017#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Sounds very exciting KM.

I bet your excitement levels have gone through the roof now for this transfer window!

Looks like he's joining in a European recruitment role...not sporting director as initially thought. He'll be working alongside Gary Gill. Victor Orta find some decent players

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-fc-back-room-new-10619017#ICID=sharebar_twitter

Sounds very exciting KM.

I bet your excitement levels have gone through the roof now for this transfer window!

I'm not expecting him to have much of an input in January unless Messi becomes available for a bargain price but next summer (should we go up) is when the fun will really start. Can't wait :D

It's so refreshing seeing the club think ahead. I think when we get promoted we'll be very well equipped to compete with some of the more established Prem teams. Steve Gibson knows he's got to think globally, and this is him flexing his muscles on that basis.

This Spanish fella clearly has an eye for talent, just look at some of the signings he made at Sevilla. Someone mentioned earlier it looks like we're following the Southampton model and if that's the case, I'm so bloody excited for the future!

I think he will be more of a technical guy helping with the modernisation and scaling of our scouting department rather than a tough talking negotiator for us. It's another step in the right direction of the club seeing our scouting department as an underused asset in the past and under Aitor I think we can agree alot of our signings have been very solid with good mentalities which shows our scouts are utilising video analysis to every minute detail.

Very promising step for us he can come in see what we have and don't have hopefully implementing a kind of technical department akin to the ones he developed at Sevilla build our network into more countries and set us up well for the inevitable top flight return.

I'd be interested to know exactly what his purpose is. There was an extensive Gazette article a few months back regarding our scouting system. The report stated how advanced our scouting system was including use of the most modern tools available. I'm not sure whether he's just a second opinion with a decent phone book.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/weve-moved-away-traditional-method-9649143

I'd be interested to know exactly what his purpose is. There was an extensive Gazette article a few months back regarding our scouting system. The report stated how advanced our scouting system was including use of the most modern tools available. I'm not sure whether he's just a second opinion with a decent phone book.

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/weve-moved-away-traditional-method-9649143

may also be a case of his reputation getting us to the bargaining table with the player quicker than other clubs

may also be a case of his reputation getting us to the bargaining table with the player quicker than other clubs

I don't think our scouting system is necessarily advanced or unique in anyway, just a case of adapting and following the way modern football has gone in recent years. I'd be interesting to see with the appointment of Victor Orta will be the same as Bernard Lacombe's role at Lyon and the system they have in place there.