oneBoro Forum

Although I do agree we need to be looking at a top forward.  But there are only 6 teams that have scored more goals than us and we've played a game less so this theory that our forward play isn't working just isn't true

I would say it's not the overall goal total it's the frequency of scoring.  Look at our home record as an example. Nice record of 10 wins from 14 games with 20 goals scored in them.  Now consider that in three games we scored 3 goals and take that away.  You're left with 11 goals in the other 11 games and that doesn't look so good.  If you keep clean sheet after clean sheet as we have then you're mostly going to be fine averaging a goal per game but if that changes then you might have a bit of a problem because now you need to score twice and we're not so good at that.  In fact other than the Derby game, the last time we scored more than once at home was Charlton at the end of October.  I don't think people can quite get their head around just how good and how important that record equalling run of not conceding was - we in all likelihood would not be top 2 without it.

9 times this season we haven't scored. Thats 1/3 of all our league games.

Brighton haven't scored in 9 and Derby 7 so it's pretty much par

• Replies 456
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yesterday was probably the first time that I've had a tantrum over the result. It's taken a long time to cool down. Over reaction? Absolutely but looking back I still have some major issues over what I watched yesterday.

I'm not going to rate players because I thought everyone had a bad day. The best of the bunch was probably Clayton, with Forshaw looking lively when he came on. Forshaw only probably looked half decent because Downing was so awful first half that anyone would have looked more lively.

So what went wrong?

1) Friend's injury meant that we lost a lot of attacking drive. I thought he and Adomah were doing well until that happened.

2) Which leads me to point two, the defence. This game absolutely highlighted that our cover in defence isn't good enough. Nando made far too more mistakes and Ayala looks half the defender when paired with him. Kalas did okay when he came on and made a few important blocks, hopefully Ben is back for the next game but if not I'd rather put Kalas in at CH.

3) Midfield. We fell back on poor habits and have done since Derby. We sit far too deep and leave Nugent isolated. We recycle possession and while I get that it's good to keep hold of the ball, we're not really threatening while we have it.

4) Stop thumping the ball up to Nugent so all he can do is try and head it. He's usually 6 inches shorter than the defender.

6) First touch and shooting. When we have chances, we need to take them (sounds simple enough but we've made that seem so difficult recently). We seem to fluff the really simple stuff. I hope they focus on this is training during the break. Everyone's first touch seemed poor yesterday baring Stuani.

I'm usually a positive poster but yesterday was awful so it's hard to find any positives in the actual game. On the bright side we are still in a great position with a game in hand but we absolutely need to improve performance for the next game. I'm hoping we can get any new signings quickly and get them bedded into the team.

I'm still optimistic that we can turn this slump around, but it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

I've thought for a while the problem is we don't take enough risks. We play great passing football to get us around the penalty area and then pass some more rather than take a shot or killer pass. That's the one thing I think macormack would do for us .....actually take a risk and shoot

Brighton haven't scored in 9 and Derby 7 so it's pretty much par

Brighton went on a run of not scoring in 6 though, which is when they fell from top.  Hull have only failed to score in 4 as well. It's clear the club can see the problem hence the fact that we're trying to spend a fortune on attacking players.

Well yesterday was probably the first time that I've had a tantrum over the result. It's taken a long time to cool down. Over reaction? Absolutely but looking back I still have some major issues over what I watched yesterday.

I'm not going to rate players because I thought everyone had a bad day. The best of the bunch was probably Clayton, with Forshaw looking lively when he came on. Forshaw only probably looked half decent because Downing was so awful first half that anyone would have looked more lively.

So what went wrong?

1) Friend's injury meant that we lost a lot of attacking drive. I thought he and Adomah were doing well until that happened.

2) Which leads me to point two, the defence. This game absolutely highlighted that our cover in defence isn't good enough. Nando made far too more mistakes and Ayala looks half the defender when paired with him. Kalas did okay when he came on and made a few important blocks, hopefully Ben is back for the next game but if not I'd rather put Kalas in at CH.

3) Midfield. We fell back on poor habits and have done since Derby. We sit far too deep and leave Nugent isolated. We recycle possession and while I get that it's good to keep hold of the ball, we're not really threatening while we have it.

4) Stop thumping the ball up to Nugent so all he can do is try and head it. He's usually 6 inches shorter than the defender.

6) First touch and shooting. When we have chances, we need to take them (sounds simple enough but we've made that seem so difficult recently). We seem to fluff the really simple stuff. I hope they focus on this is training during the break. Everyone's first touch seemed poor yesterday baring Stuani.

I'm usually a positive poster but yesterday was awful so it's hard to find any positives in the actual game. On the bright side we are still in a great position with a game in hand but we absolutely need to improve performance for the next game. I'm hoping we can get any new signings quickly and get them bedded into the team.

I'm still optimistic that we can turn this slump around, but it needs to happen sooner rather than later.

I've thought for a while the problem is we don't take enough risks. We play great passing football to get us around the penalty area and then pass some more rather than take a shot or killer pass.  That's the one thing I think macormack would do for us .....actually take a risk and shoot

This ^^^

Apart from Fabrini's goal v Bolton and Downing's free kick v Wolves can anyone think of any 'proper' long range out of the box goals we've scored this season? Every week on the FL show you see plenty of 25 yard goals plus the parried long range shots that get tapped in. Its as if we think keeping possession is more important than scoring and have to either walk it in to the net or keep hold of it at all costs. The keepers aren't infallible either. At the end of the day you can only score if you actually shoot...

Thought Clayton had the poorest game I've seen him play in a while yesterday. He was not in control at all.

He did, I thought this too, but with so many other players performing so badly he just sorted of blended in.

Thought Clayton had the poorest game I've seen him play in a while yesterday. He was not in control at all.

I didn't think he was good, just the best of the bunch. That's not saying much though. All of them were woeful.