oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Blackburn 1-1

I haven't bothered watching Ramirez's Youtube highlights etc as any attacking player can look a world beater in a compilation of clips. The big thing is how consistently good can they be. I remember after Fabbrini's very impressie debut there were some coming to the conclusion that he's better than Tomlin and that we should immediately try to sign him permanently. Ramirez is obviously capable of being a match winner but there's certainly a question mark over that consistency. So basically if he has a fantastic debut tomorrow I won't be getting carried away with him but will be cautiously optimistic. And likewise if he fails to impress, it doesn't mean we've signed a rubbish player.

With Rhodes the question mark isn't over him but over Karanka's ability to come up with a system to create chances for a natural finisher like Rhodes. So far he's drifted between attackers and failed to come up with a creative side that can create a steady stream of chances for our striker. Our influence on a game seems to be so much around "game management" as once we go 1 nil up we seem to sit back a bit too much. I've heard Karanka complain about the team not pushing on from taking the lead so I doubt that it's a tactic, particularly against the mediocre teams in this division. Hopefully we can start to find that 2nd and 3rd goal to put teams to bed comfortably. It wouldn't surprise me to see Nugent suddenly start converting his chances now that he knows he's got a striker the quality of Rhodes to compete with.

If Gibson is injured then I suspect that Kalas will come in at CB. Rhys Williams is back now and has played a good few games at Charlton so I suppose it wouldn't be a massive shock to see him come into the side but I'd feel far more comfortable with Kalas in defence. Hopefully Gibson is back though as our record without him is a huge concern.

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

9 times out of 10 we bed players in before getting them on the pitch. No choice really at LB I expect to see De Laet come straight in. Id be massively surprised to see Rhodes of Ramirez from the off, but perhaps AK will surprise us. If anything, I think Ramirez might could as his surprise package in place of Albert.

I've heard Blackburn fans say Rhodes is a poor footballer other than scoring goals but I couldn't care less how good of a footballer he looks, we've signed him to convert chances that we create for him. Loads of strikers look decent with ball at their feet but couldn't hit a cows backside with a banjo. No mid 20's Championship player is ever going to be the complete player. Even though we're 2nd in the league I could list weaknesses in all of our better players like Ayala, Friend, Clayton, Downing(despite him underperforming) etc. We're not Barcelona striving for football utopia. Them Blackburn fans are playing mental gymnastics to get over the blow of losing a striker the quality of Rhodes. They've gone from Rhodes to Graham after all, yeah of course they're better off.... Duhhh. (Graham is bound to score in a 1-0 victory for Blackburn now)

Lots of bitterness from Blackburn fans about losing Rhodes, suddenly saying he's crap and a major reason for their decline was changing their playing style to suit him.

They also reckon we've overspent on him and we'll regret it once we see him play for us.

We'll see tomorrow :)

Think they've lost it! :D

Firstly, I don't think we'll suffer the same problem as Rovers did in that they had to change their system to accommodate him. AK will largely stay with what has been successful and hope Jordan's intelligence and awareness will put him in the position to score more goals than our other strikers this season.

Secondly, if he scores goals that send us up, the outlay on him is barely worth mentioning. That PL deal is extremely lucrative and really I'd expect him to maintain a decent level of goalscoring in the top flight too.

Saying he's crap is beyond funny! Might not be the best footballer but if he keeps putting the ball in the back of the net, I won't be complaining. If it wasn't for him, it could have been an entirely different story for Blackburn the last couple of years!

I do enjoy the explanation he doesnt do anything other than score goals as if its a bad thing. Bar Bamford ever since the days of Viduka and Hasselbaink we have had good grafters but poor goalscoring returns from them. I think given the choice I would have to go with a 20 goal a season striker who does nothing else but score goals.

I don't remember Lineker been a good footballer but he had the knack of been in the right place at the right time and was one hell of a goal scorer, didn't miss much, hopefully Rhodes is half as good

I do enjoy the explanation he doesnt do anything other than score goals as if its a bad thing. Bar Bamford ever since the days of Viduka and Hasselbaink we have had good grafters but poor goalscoring returns from them. I think given the choice I would have to go with a 20 goal a season striker who does nothing else but score goals.

Agreed. The most common thing you hear from any team is" we need a 20-25 goals a season striker, not We need a striker who will track back and tackle, help the midfield etc. - we have two holding midfieilders for a reason don't we?

I don't remember Lineker been a good footballer but he had the knack of been in the right place at the right time and was one hell of a goal scorer, didn't miss much, hopefully Rhodes is half as good

He was the first person to spring to my mind when reading the comments and who wouldn't have a Liniker in their team?

Ruud Van Nistelrooy. Not a great footballer by any means, but give him the ball in the box and you were confident it was hitting the back of the net. That's all I want from Rhodes, goals. Isn't that why we signed him/any striker?

I still think Ramirez and Rhodes in the 2nd half with only De Leat making his debut. That's a good shout on Williams at CB if Gibson is injured. He was class a few years ago.

I remember before when we have bought strikers in to get us promoted. 87-88 we got Trevor Senior, then 97-98 we got Armstrong and Branka. They made a difference though none lasted much longer than the promotion bid for treasons of injury or subsequent poor form (Senior). I think Rhodes can be the real deal. Didn't realise he was over 6 foot so explains his prolific number of headed goals. Wonder if we'll play a 442 as plan B with either Nugent or Stuani along side Rhodes With Downing and Ramires on the wings and Leadbitter and Clayton in the middle that has some potential. Exciting times.

This is my take on the whole Messi v Ronaldo debate.

Ronaldo is hands down the best footballer, Messi is hands down the best at scoring. Thing is what's the aim of football??

So I don't care that Rhodes can't do much other than score. That's what we bought him in to do