oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Blackburn 1-1

Do people think we're worse going forward this season as compared to last season or not?

I'm honestly not too sure. I remember last season in the first half blowing some teams away, Norwich and Brentford both 4-0 at the Riverside, then Ipswich 4-1 towards the end.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but have we only scored 3 goals this season twice (Bolton, Brighton)?

Last year we had Bamford banging in goals, so far this season we haven't had someone doing that, hopefully Rhodes could improve on that.

If it's not the personnel, then it has to be Karanka. It seems he's shored up our defence (until recently) but sacrificed any attacking prowess.

Anyone saying Karanka out, or Karankas lost it needs to give their head a shake. But the man isn't invincible, and he needs to figure/sort out why we're malfunctioning going forward. Stop blaming people, and sort it out.

One last thing, I also don't accept the teams coming to park the bus at the Riverside as an excuse anymore. Teams must do this at the KC, iPro, and Turf Moor and they don't struggle as much of us. We just need a plan B.

pretty sure we've scored 3 goals about 8 or 9 times this season.

Yep, Sheff Wed, Brentford, Leeds, Wolves, Charlton... Anymore?

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Do people think we're worse going forward this season as compared to last season or not?

I'm honestly not too sure. I remember last season in the first half blowing some teams away, Norwich and Brentford both 4-0 at the Riverside, then Ipswich 4-1 towards the end.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but have we only scored 3 goals this season twice (Bolton, Brighton)?

Last year we had Bamford banging in goals, so far this season we haven't had someone doing that, hopefully Rhodes could improve on that.

If it's not the personnel, then it has to be Karanka. It seems he's shored up our defence (until recently) but sacrificed any attacking prowess.

Anyone saying Karanka out, or Karankas lost it needs to give their head a shake. But the man isn't invincible, and he needs to figure/sort out why we're malfunctioning going forward. Stop blaming people, and sort it out.

One last thing, I also don't accept the teams coming to park the bus at the Riverside as an excuse anymore. Teams must do this at the KC, iPro, and Turf Moor and they don't struggle as much of us. We just need a plan B.

pretty sure we've scored 3 goals about 8 or 9 times this season.

10 times actually :D

Why was Downing meh? More of a reasoning please?

Highlights suggest ALL of our attack went through him.

I was at the match.  I disagree with the highlights.  He was poor, in both positions.

Then how come every noteworthy chance involved him in a big way?

I mean, I know highlights can be deceiving and maybe he wasn't great but on a day when we didn't create very much the fact that everything we did create stemmed from Downing says a lot I think.

Sounds like you've both got a point. He seemed poor for the full match but when it comes to having a player of better quality, he is going to be at the forefront of chances created. It's difficult to leave him out because that is what he's capable of, even when he's poor. He can have a poor game and create chances. We put them away and you forget about the rest of his performance. If we don't, it's easier to say he's been poor.

He wasn't poor. He was less influential in the second, but was easily MOTM in the first. Constantly driving forward, he got no help at all, De Laet wasn't overlapping like Friend - you could see Downing looking for where De Laet should be.

Likewise when Downing was cutting inside and looking for the 10, he was in the box instead of lurking outside it. Grant Hanley is too good, and big, a centre half to be constantly whipping balls into the box. 

If we had two Downings, we'd be doing very well. Lets hope Ramirez and Rhodes are the players he needs around him.

so your saying when downing looked to pass infield to a no10 nothing was on and no overlapping fullback. wtf were clayton and leadbitter doing then, couldnt he pass to one of them? they are the heart beat of the side supporting attack and defence. tbh i'm getting a bit fed up of the massive gaps we get in the middle between attack and defence. wide att mids/ wingers get the ball and have limited options always.

-----------nugent

------------------kike2

downing--------------------adomah

---------leadbitter clayton

de laet --gibbo ayala -----nsue

looking at the that team spread above would you say, when stewy got the ball wide he had nobody near, with no overlapping/supporting fullback and kike2 not showing deep. i'm thinking were are leads and clayton. To deep? not quick enough to support but trying? 

is this our problem? the actual dcm not pushing up enough leaving our attacking players isolated with little option but to lump it or go backwards constantly?

this is something i noticed myself at games. the two dcm are far to negative, clayton is great at covering but i'm really struggling to see what leadbitter is offering going forwards. he been good for us make no mistake but i really think we need more mobility athleticism in the middle. all last season i thought we were just plodders in the middle. when coming up against teams moving the ball fast we were foud wanting and coukd control the middle. we need a bit of pace at cdm so we can burst forward quicker to support attacks.

I get the impression that Sola would've been written off today regardless of how he performed because he didn't cost 10 million pounds and his name isn't Jason Rhodes.

In all honesty he was pretty awful, he certainly wasnt the only one though

I really didn't see what he did wrong? Nobody around me was even complaining about him (which they usually do about just about everyone).

He did nothing at all, thats the problem. Wasnt in the game at all. 

He clearly has quality, he has played at a top level for a few years but the Championship is alot different from La Liga. We have got rid of Fabbrini and Kike who are both experienced in this league and replaced them with someone who has never played in England.

He might become a good player for us but it will take time to adapt, and we dont have time. We need instant results in this position

After seeing how badly we played at 4-4-2 today surely people will stop calling for us to play it!

Few Points from today

Ayala is injured and we are now ***

If Nugent, Adomah and Kike Sola are professional footballers there is hope for us all

I hate a good 60% of Boro fans

only 60%?

i'm at about 90% :D

I get the impression that Sola would've been written off today regardless of how he performed because he didn't cost 10 million pounds and his name isn't Jason Rhodes.

In all honesty he was pretty awful, he certainly wasnt the only one though

I really didn't see what he did wrong? Nobody around me was even complaining about him (which they usually do about just about everyone).

He did nothing at all, thats the problem. Wasnt in the game at all. 

He clearly has quality, he has played at a top level for a few years but the Championship is alot different from La Liga. We have got rid of Fabbrini and Kike who are both experienced in this league and replaced them with someone who has never played in England.

He might become a good player for us but it will take time to adapt, and we dont have time. We need instant results in this position

That's sort of what I was saying to the lad I sit next to in the ground today. I'm not having a Kike Sola himself, but I'm just completely baffled as to why we even signed the guy? I'd much rather have kept either one of Kike Garcia or Fabbrini who actually have experience in this league? It's clear Kike Sola wasn't brought in to compete for a position in the first 11 and Kike Garcia or Fabbrini would have done a much better job going on into the second half of the season coming on as impact substitutes.

It sounds like we might have been slightly mis-sold Kike Sola as being able to play #10. If anything, we might have been better swapping him and Nugent around but AK seems reluctant to do that. AK has said nobody around him was helping him but if he's running too far ahead of the ball, he's clearly not got the immediate thought processes to play behind a striker.

I hope it comes off for him and lets be fair, it sounds like a lot of us (myself included) have kind of written him off from the start as the signing didn't seem to make sense (especially when you consider how little AK wanted to improve the front-line until later on in the window). But if AK is willing to start him in a league game, it's clear he sees something we have yet to see in 45 minutes.

I've got to agree with the idea that we went with a team today allowing Karanka to change where he may have deemed more necessary a couple of weeks ago had we had a game immediately afterwards. I say lets look forward to MK Dons and look forward to the changes we make. I expect we'll see Stuani and Rhodes at least coming into the team, possibly replacing Adomah with Ramirez too. I'd love to see Nugent playing off Rhodes though.

Not gonna quote you DynamoKev but I think thats 1 of the arguements for Forshaw. He seems more willing to move forward as the team does. However with 2 attacking fullbacks and a front 4 another body could leave us frail. Bt changing the CM dynamic could be what unlocks us as an attacking team....

That's sort of what I was saying to the lad I sit next to in the ground today. I'm not having a Kike Sola himself, but I'm just completely baffled as to why we even signed the guy? I'd much rather have kept either one of Kike Garcia or Fabbrini who actually have experience in this league? It's clear Kike Sola wasn't brought in to compete for a position in the first 11 and Kike Garcia or Fabbrini would have done a much better job going on into the second half of the season coming on as impact substitutes.

I don't think Kike Sola was brought in to replace either of those outgoing players, as much as the reasons for signing him aren't exactly clear.

I reckon Kike was allowed to leave because we signed Rhodes, and Fabbrini allowed to leave to be essentially swapped as a loan player with Ramirez.

Is this Jason Rhodes thing a new forum meme?

I think I missed that one, why are we calling him Jason Rhodes now?

The stadium announcer decided that was his name when he came on

The stadium announcer decided that was his name when he came on

Right, gotcha.

I'm fully on board with Jason Rhodes.

He wasn't poor. He was less influential in the second, but was easily MOTM in the first. Constantly driving forward, he got no help at all, De Laet wasn't overlapping like Friend - you could see Downing looking for where De Laet should be.

Likewise when Downing was cutting inside and looking for the 10, he was in the box instead of lurking outside it. Grant Hanley is too good, and big, a centre half to be constantly whipping balls into the box. 

If we had two Downings, we'd be doing very well. Lets hope Ramirez and Rhodes are the players he needs around him.

I know everyone is entitled to their opinion, but this is absolute nonsense. De Laet overlapped Downing 4 or 5 times without receiving a single pass in the first 20 minutes, then the one time Downing did pass it to him he played it behind him and out of play. De Laet was also easily MOTM, he beat more players in the first half, getting 2 booked, than Downing has in months. I know he's a local lad and some fans still have fond memories from his first stint and i suspect the rose tinted specs are on, which is why people are still defending him, when in reality he has been poor this season barring a few games. You say you want 2 Downings in the team, im just about fed up of having the 1. He's getting lazier and lazier too, his tracking back today was non-existant.

People keep saying he's a game winner etc, he really isnt. 2 goals from open play this season says all you need to know, one of which was a fluked cross(imo) and the other was a defensive error, good finish but defensive error all the same.

Why was Downing meh? More of a reasoning please?

Highlights suggest ALL of our attack went through him.

I was at the match.  I disagree with the highlights.  He was poor, in both positions.

Then how come every noteworthy chance involved him in a big way?

I mean, I know highlights can be deceiving and maybe he wasn't great but on a day when we didn't create very much the fact that everything we did create stemmed from Downing says a lot I think.

We scored one goal, Nsue got the assist.

I could be mistaken, but for me Downing offered nothing from left wing or #10.

I have not seen the highlights, but I do not recall him doing anything.

Stewie is a player I loved when he was here first time round, but this time, meh.

Then go watch the highlights. 

Literally every single one of our highlights on there (bar the goal, but it doesn't show how that play started) involve Downing in some big way. 

That alone shows he had SOME influence on the game.

I'm not saying he played well, but I think he gets unfairly treated by some on here.

What does meh stand for?