oneBoro Forum

The 442 Debate

So after reading through countless opinions on why 442 would be effective, and why the Nugent - Rhodes partnership is a must, I'd just like to express my view.

I think that many seem to think that the 442 is almost like having 12 players, as we would have a secondary striker. But from when the two strikers were pushing high up the field in the first half against Blackburn, I noticed Sola and Nugent were very isolated up top. I feel this is down to there being no one in the no.10 role. I find it absurd that anyone would suggest a change of formation.  Yes, I would be happy with Nugent sitting in the hole, but it completely ruins our system. We already get enough men in the box with the overlapping fullbacks allowing Stuani/Adomah to get in there, and playing without an attacking midfielder would ruin the system, especially having signed Ramirez.  I don't understand why people think a 442 would make such a huge difference, as I think we would just result to playing long ball, and Rhodes and Nugent would barely get a touch.  It just leaves a huge gap between midfield and attack, and no one would come in short to collect it from Clayts/Leadbitter, like Downing does.

:)

I feel the systems are almost the same the main difference is the personnel. We become obsessed with 442 532 4411. They are just numbers. If the two forwards are both natural forwards then most of the time they will be close together. But even then one will drop when needed. Whereas playing a player that naturally drops deep or is indeed an attacking midfielder will make him naturally drop deeper But again sometimes he will find himself next to the forward.

As with most football it's about the players

Spot on, formations are just a shape to get into when you lose the ball, obviously players have general areas where they will play in but the difference between most formations is minimal.

You only start noticing big differences when you start going 3 at the back etc. 442/4411/451/4231 are all very similar. It all depends on what player plays each role and what they are asked to do.

i cant see 442 being a successful system with our current personnel and how to get the best out of them.

as ive said im not sure also that adopting a different system is  good sense given the stage in proceedings we are at but the one i think would suit us best other than the current one is

Dimi             

Nsue       Ayala      Gibbo    Friend

Clayton  Downing  Leadbitter

Stuani   Rhodes  Nugent

possibly Forshaw for Leadbitter  and Ramirez for Nugent 

in this system Downing given license to move forwards to a  AM(No10) position at times and Stuani and Nugent dropping slightly back when reqired .   kind of an attacking diamond rather than a midfield diamond.

it would still leave Clayts and Grant as anchoring midfielders .

442 will never work for us as you need a proper box to box guy in midfield, Clayton and leadbitter imo are both deeper sitting faffy type of midfielders. There would be a huge gap between our midfield and strikers, one of the strikers would have to drop deep to link things up so it would be 4411, we could try and close the gap even more by pushing up the 2 wide players, ooo look 4231.

The key to our system is the number 10 player, it's him who is supposed to turn over our possession from defence to attack, if this area isn't functioning then we will always look disjointed.

i cant see 442 being a successful system with our current personnel and how to get the best out of them.

as ive said im not sure also that adopting a different system is  good sense given the stage in proceedings we are at but the one i think would suit us best other than the current one is

Dimi             

Stuani   Rhodes  Nugent

in this system Downing given license to move forwards to a  AM(No10) position at times and Stuani and Nugent dropping slightly back when reqired .   kind of an attacking diamond rather than a midfield diamond.

Btw the way you have described how that formation would work is 4231 and pretty much exactly what we use anyway haha. It just shows how little difference there is between each one.

Dimi             

Stuani   Rhodes  Nugent

Btw the way you have described how that formation would work is 4231 and pretty much exactly what we use anyway haha. It just shows how little difference there is between each one.

That formation on paper looks pretty much like the way ***nal line up under Wenger. I agree with LJ, there really is very little difference, it would work brilliantly if Clayts had the vision of Cazorla.