oneBoro Forum

Boro vs. Leeds (A) 0-0

It's always going to be disapointing when you have a perfectly good (and quite brilliant) goal ruled out that would have seen the lads relax and bring end of the 'blip', but thats footy, it all balances out in the end. It's really annoying it keeps being Leeds that does it to us, but still.

I know we should have risen above it and created more chances but this league is a brutal grind and we are struggling for form. I'm sure old boro would have lost that game and I take comfort from the fact that although we are in bad shape we haven't plunged like a stone, managing to come from behind to grab points, never giving up.

The transfer window has really knackered our momentum but I'm really excited by the new signings and although I have started to brick it recently I am sure AK will get them all working together harmoniously soon. I know Rhodes isn't used to this system but then it produced a goal for him with a brilliantly executed move so perhaps it can work.

We definitely need to up the performance level and generate more cohesion and just blast it at the goal sometimes. Last night a lot of balls went behind players, the intuition wasn't there and Leeds played their best game for ages, we really needed that goal but it didn't come so it's on to the next game looking for and desperately needing a win.

Loads of positives to come out of the game despite the low-feeling, what a save from Dimi. Fry was assured. Another clean sheet despite no Ayala. No-one missed Friend. we didn't lose when typical Boro 100% would have done.

And loads of things we need to improve on, and we can. I'm properly bricking it though, we need AK to show more guile and our form to come back NOW.

UTB!

• Replies 707
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

An incredibly frustrating evening.

Off the ball i thought we were ok. Dael Fry was excellent. Gibson was generally good but a little clumsy (twice so) but we looked something like our old selves defensively. Even so we relied on Dimi to produce two top quality saves.

Secondly i thought we were awful in possession. We were disjointed, we had no structure, we didn't work together to move the ball forward. We played as individuals. I can't stress how worrying that is.

This spell is the worst of Leadbitter's career with the Boro. There is no drive from him, he's not using the ball well enough, he's sloppy and he's lacking a spark. Clayton is plodding along doing a half decent job but he's suffering from our wobble.

Downing and Stuani have been awful. Less said about that the better. The front four look like they've never played together. Yes, some of them haven't but we've had plenty of time off to work on shape.

We need an about turn sharpish. We have the best squad in the league by a country mile and we're *** it up the wall. No wins in 5 and I'm panicking. I really am.

jones_dontpanic_1.jpg

Not just yet anyway. This may be just the seasonal blip most teams go though. We've got a few new faces in and its to be expected it will take a while for the team to adjust.

Agree it was a generally awful game though. Seriously, if the goals were at the sides of the pitch we would be unstoppable! Bit of bad luck with Rhodes' disallowed goal, but that doesn't excuse the inability to seriously test Silvestri for much of the game and the fact we ended up needing a couple of great saves from Dimi to earn us a point.

We looked a lot better after Nugent and Adomah came on...insofar as we finally looked like presenting some kind of credible threat to the Leeds goal. Unfortunately our overall play was far too scrappy and we rarely looked like actually finding the back of the net.

Daft and unnecessary sending off of Gibson left us hanging on for the final few minutes, when we could have been pressing up the other end of the pitch.

I think it says a lot about our season overall when we can go 5 games without a win and still be 2nd, just a single point behind the leaders.

Saying that, we can't afford for this slump to go on much longer or we WILL end up in the play-offs again.

I'm one of his biggest detractors usually, but I can't see how he frustrated. The time you've mentioned was conveniently the sole mistake he made last night. He carved out several clear cut chances including a peach of a cross which Rhodes nodded wide and won several corners.

For a bloke who you can usually predict each cross to swing harmlessly out for a throw, every delivery was dangerous. He completely changed the dynamic of the game when he came on as we all of a sudden were able to attack down the right and actually stretch Leeds as until that point all they really had to do was mark De Laet and Downing, force the ball out to the right and then cut off Stuani's passing options to get the ball back.

There were a few mistakes last night, watch the game back again.

It was good to see him attack with intent and voerall he was good performing, but still feel you are overstating and getting carried away using the word Incredible.

He did really well to open up for him in the box but the then lacked compusre and should have done better. We got a corner out of it yes, but having getting into the position should have done better.

An incredibly frustrating evening.

Off the ball i thought we were ok. Dael Fry was excellent. Gibson was generally good but a little clumsy (twice so) but we looked something like our old selves defensively. Even so we relied on Dimi to produce two top quality saves.

Secondly i thought we were awful in possession. We were disjointed, we had no structure, we didn't work together to move the ball forward. We played as individuals. I can't stress how worrying that is.

This spell is the worst of Leadbitter's career with the Boro. There is no drive from him, he's not using the ball well enough, he's sloppy and he's lacking a spark. Clayton is plodding along doing a half decent job but he's suffering from our wobble.

Downing and Stuani have been awful. Less said about that the better. The front four look like they've never played together. Yes, some of them haven't but we've had plenty of time off to work on shape.

We need an about turn sharpish. We have the best squad in the league by a country mile and we're *** it up the wall. No wins in 5 and I'm panicking. I really am.

I agree with your second and third paragraph and for that reason I'm also beginning to panic.

Strange emotions tonight a better performance but still not great. Poor decision making in the final third cost us but overall I can't remember making that many chances in a game in a long while. That said we really didn't test their keeper. At the other end Dimi pulled out a worldie and a top class save.

Still second but that safety net has disappeared and this bliiiip is getting longer.

Will be cheering Hull on against Brighton

I don't think we want any team (other than Boro!!) to run away with it. I also think that we want to have TWO automatic places to scrap for, not just one. With this in mind, I don't think I do want Hull to win tonight.

OK... if Brighton win we'll slip to third, but we'll have the game in hand again. We can then go above BOTH of them when we get back to winning ways and win the game in hand!!

(We were better last night, and Adomah looked more like his attacking self).

I'd rather we were two points clear of third with a game in hand than one point behind with a game in hand. Winning the league would be nice but ultimately I don't care I just want promotion.

People seem to see games in hand as a free 3 points or even a bonus game.

If you look at the different permutations they are more Boro friendly if Hull win tonight.

I'm one of his biggest detractors usually, but I can't see how he frustrated. The time you've mentioned was conveniently the sole mistake he made last night. He carved out several clear cut chances including a peach of a cross which Rhodes nodded wide and won several corners.

For a bloke who you can usually predict each cross to swing harmlessly out for a throw, every delivery was dangerous. He completely changed the dynamic of the game when he came on as we all of a sudden were able to attack down the right and actually stretch Leeds as until that point all they really had to do was mark De Laet and Downing, force the ball out to the right and then cut off Stuani's passing options to get the ball back.

It was good to see him attack with intent and voerall he was good performing, but still feel you are overstating and getting carried away using the word Incredible.

He did really well to open up for him in the box but the then lacked compusre and should have done better. We got a corner out of it yes, but having getting into the position should have done better.

I don't feel I am, I also think it's somewhat irritating you constantly trying to correct my use of the word when one of its meanings is literally "very good". If I had said very good would you have an issue? Or excellent? Or fantastic? Why does my choice of adjective irk you so much? Can you list every adjective meaning "good" on a scale for later use so I don't offend you again?

I don't have a clue what your final paragraph is talking about.

After long and careful thought my conclusion after last night is that I just can no longer find any exscuses for our ultra cautious approach to opposing teams, be they at the top of the league or near the bottom. At the start of the second half we got a glimpse of what we could play like if Karanka took the handbrake off, but our first thought is always to drop back into our well drilled defensive positions, and that is so instilled in this team now that they get a nosebleed if they move forward. Will we concede the fewest goals in this division, probably yes, will it be enough for automatic promotion, probably not. Is Karanka a good defensive coach, undoubtably, does he get the best out of his attacking options, no, because he will not let his defensive four plus midfield support the forwards, worse still 3 of the front 4 have defensive duties too, which further inhibit our attacking options. This way of playing is turning top class forwards like Stuani and Downing into also rans, as there is no support to take their markers off them, so do not blame them, they are just doing as directed, blame the tactics. With all of our near rivals now banging in goals and gaining momentum I fear that we are headed once again for the lottery that is the playoffs, and that has to be seen as an underachievement considering the squad of players that are at our disposal. Am I anti Karanka, no, but I do not see any depth to his tactical planning which concerns me greatly.

^^^^ I agree.

I don't feel I am, I also think it's somewhat irritating you constantly trying to correct my use of the word when one of its meanings is literally "very good". If I had said very good would you have an issue? Or excellent? Or fantastic? Why does my choice of adjective irk you so much? Can you list every adjective meaning "good" on a scale for later use so I don't offend you again?

I don't have a clue what your final paragraph is talking about.

Sorry if you meant it in another way, but my views on incredible would be the the below definiations

• Impossible to believe
  • Difficult to believe

If you did say very good, then yes I would have agreed as I would have described his perforamnce as such. Apologies if I have taken it out of context.

Last paragrah is talking about when he jinxed into the box from teh right and didn't show composure.

A boring game mainly. My observations:

Positives:

1. Rhodes I don't think will take much time to settle in, he was on the end of almost every cross we put in last night (which granted wasnt many)

2. Some amazing skill in beating markers too, there was one point I had to stop myself applauding to the telly but I can't remember who it was now, maybe Ramirez, someone on the right flank showing pure skill.

3. De Laet

4. Dale Fry showing some fantastic potential, wasn't afraid to get stuck in with the older blokes, gonna be a quality defender

5. Adomah... Instant impact as soon as he came on, seemed like he opened up the entire right side of the pitch

Negatives:

1. Possession... Or lack thereof, never did anything with the ball

2. Stuani - He's not going to settle into playing right wing, I think we need a more experienced player there, or Adomah should make more starts.

3. Nsue missed about 10 passes back to him, couldn't decide whether this is because he started his runs too late, or whoever was passing to him didn't anticipate that he'd try to get forward (which he always does) so bad all in all

4. Gibson - Bad form, some terrible challenges - Now put us in a worse position for the back 4

Probably more but suddently got busy at work & can't concentrate now!

We always look dangerous from crosses.

Rhodes scored against MK Dons after a quick touch and cross from De Laet, he had one ruled out last night from a cross and then should have scored from Albert's cross.

So why don't we cross it more often? Nsue, De Laet, Stuani and Downing all got in great positions and just turned back and recycled possession over and over again. You could see Rhodes making the runs and screaming for the ball into the box.

My thoughts on last night's game:

The first 45 mins was dire. We didn't have a clue how we were supposed to go about creating chances other than shuffling the ball out to Nsue on the right. I don't know what the game plan actually was but I sincerely hope it was more than that. Defensively we looked a bit shaky at times but then we had two essentially new players in the back four so I think that was to be expected. Add to that our defensive midfielders looking off the pace and the defensive issues we had were understandable. Thanks to Dimi it didn't cost us and other than his stupidity in getting sent off Gibson had a good game as did Fry.

The second half we improved. I think a few things must have been said at half time and rightly so. Adomah coming on helped with it in the sense that he made us a bit more direct but Downing finally deciding to get involved on the left hand side did as well. I'm not sure how much difference Nugent coming on made. The game got more stretched as a result of our changes and Leeds tiring, maybe Nugent being on helped with that but like I said I don't know. We created a few decent chances, Rhodes should have taken an extra touch but he clearly thought the defender was closer to him that he was - great first touch to put himself clear though. His header the keeper probably put him off a bit. Stuani had a good chance as well so in that sense although we didn't score we at least looked a bit more likely too.

In terms of individual players, the reason Downing got stick is because for the first 45 mins he basically avoided trying to do anything at all. If you don't try anything then you're less likely to make mistakes and I think that's what he was aiming for unfortunately. After half time and after I imagine words were said by Karanka he improved considerably and was actually trying to make things happen. I don't care what he does defensively and I don't care if he looks composed if all he's doing is making safe 10/15 yard passes that go nowhere. He's been brought in to help us win games by getting the better of the opposition and that's only going to happen if he tries things.

Dimi saved our bacon on a couple of occasions so top marks for him. Nsue did ok but he was caught out a few times defensively whilst also having some good moments defensively as well so a bit up and down but mostly ok. Ramirez did a couple of good things but too many of them were too deep as a result of how deep we seem to have to play all the time. My only criticism of him is it felt like he was wanting to hang on to the ball a bit too long, at times he had to do that but a couple of times he could have moved it and didn't. Stuani I thought offered nothing again and to be honest he is quite poor on the ball. Once or twice it looked like he genuinely had no idea what he was supposed to do with it and I've noticed that before with him. His touch when running with the ball is also often quite bad. Rhodes did ok but clearly doesn't fit in with how we play and is still on a different wavelength to the other players. He kept making runs for the ball to be played through to him but it wasn't really happening. Leadbitter and Clayton have already been mentioned but I'll say that Leadbitter looks off the pace completely to me but I've thought that for a while and Clayton is being dragged down to that level as well at the moment. They both annoyed me yesterday when in the second half with some momentum going our way and the tempo being increased they'd slow things down again. A bit like driving with the handbrake on at times. Central midfield is so important and it's the one area we seem reluctant to change. Crazy.

All in all, we were poor in the first half but better in the second half. I think unless we improve again then we won't be top two come the end of the season, I just don't see how we can get there playing like this, even the second half version of us. It's early days yet with Rhodes but I have little confidence at the moment that we can get the best out of him. Our attack feels like somebody trying to put a jigsaw together but they've got pieces from more than one puzzle. It's a different subject to this but I think there are real question marks about how we sign players here. However, Karanka is obviously trying to figure it all out and that's why we're seeing changes to that area of the team game by game.

I know that I might get shot down but throughout these last few weeks of below par performances there is one player who I think could have made things happen especially in the midfield support role and creativity department and that is Vossen. I truly believe he would have offered much more had we kept hold of him and I realise that it is open for debate and as he no longer is with us we will never know.

A good post from CT by the way, too many times in the past when things have not been right we have often said that we will come out of it and be on the upwards trail again without it being realised.

We are in a bad way at the moment and it simply has to improve especially from midfield

@ Changing Tyres

Your last paragraph echoes my thoughts exactly. What worries me is the thought that Karanka doesn't know how to blend these "Championship Galacticos" into a winning formula and more so that we need to do that at this stage of the season.

I don't agree with the midfield being a problem long term. It works and it's been a integral part of the success that's got us to this point. It fails when the players involved (principly Leadbitter) lose form which he has done over the last two months. They both seem very lethargic to me right now.

@ DS give over :D

Come on DS. I'll give you Tomlin, but Vossen offered no more than Nugent does.

Edit: Great summary that, CT. Only thing I'd add is that I thought De Laet had another good game. I see him being RB once Friend is back

Vossen proved he was an average championship striker he would have offered nothing different to this team. No offence to you DS but I don't understand why fans go on about Vossen as he is/was some sort of Messiah, even Kike scored more than him.