oneBoro Forum

Adam Forshaw

Leadbitter does a lot of the dirty work to enable Clayton to do what he does, much in the same way that the wingers often have to play withdrawn roles so that the full bcaks can bomb on. He also tidies up a lot of loose balls out of the back. If you haven't noticed, Ayala and Gibbo are hardly ball playing CBs (they are very good at what they do, but they don't often bring the ball out themselves). He is a very big part of our goals against record, and of that clean sheet run. He's been off his game in the last month, but to suggest he's been ineffective all season is inaccurate, in my opinion.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah the old Leadbitter debate.

The thing is we can't have it both ways. As mentioned above, Leadbitter is and has been integral to our defensive record. He and Clayton both sit in front of the defenders and link up the play to the rest of the team.

This means that Leadbitter is not going to be the midfielder that drives forward, and score goals. He could be, in a different team, under a different manager but not ours.

This means his goal tally and assist tally is going to be low, which it is. As is Adam Claytons.

Sure AK could change it around, but chances are that we'd start shipping goals left, right and centre.

That all being said, its my opinion that Leadbitter hasn't been at his best the last few games especially. But he receives a large amount of unfounded criticism, and always seems to be an easy scapegoat.

The thing is we can't have it both ways. As mentioned above, Leadbitter is and has been integral to our defensive record. He and Clayton both sit in front of the defenders and link up the play to the rest of the team.

This means that Leadbitter is not going to be the midfielder that drives forward, and score goals. He could be, in a different team, under a different manager but not ours.

This means his goal tally and assist tally is going to be low, which it is. As is Adam Claytons.

Sure AK could change it around, but chances are that we'd start shipping goals left, right and centre.

That all being said, its my opinion that Leadbitter hasn't been at his best the last few games especially. But he receives a large amount of unfounded criticism, and always seems to be an easy scapegoat.

This completely We are top two with a game in hand and the best defencive record but our CM linchpin isn't good enough

This completely         We are top two with a game in hand and the best defencive record but our CM linchpin isn't good enough

Never said he wasn't good enough, I said he's performances are below par from last season, we also had a good defensive record last season,but Leadbitter still managed to get forward a lot more so don't spin it.

Leadbitter was my player of the year last season, but I won't blow smoke up a players proverbial, if  I don't think he's playing well regardless of who he is, Leadbitter had more more of an edge last season in my opinion, the most frustrating player for me this season is Downing, prefers the central midfield role, if you play in that role you have to take command, particularly when you think of the talent he has, he should be doing a lot more, ripped Wolves to shreds away, he has the ability to do that.

I'm sure he will.

I still think he deserves to sit for a game or two, try and light a fire under him. Get him back to his best.

Downing deserves the same but I don't think there's anyone realistically to replace him with.

Grant will be great again in the future.

I hope he is Lee, like I said Grant was my player of the season last year, he was a superb captain and leader, he has more in him I know it and so does everyone else.

It was never a I hate Leadbitter thread from me, more of can do a whole lot better, anyone who puts the red shirt on I want to do well.

I'm sure he will.

I still think he deserves to sit for a game or two, try and light a fire under him. Get him back to his best.

Downing deserves the same but I don't think there's anyone realistically to replace him with.

Leadbitter back to his best is a nightmare for any opposition, I hope he's man of the match against Fulham, I can't say any more than that.

Leadbitter does a lot of the dirty work to enable Clayton to do what he does, much in the same way that the wingers often have to play withdrawn roles so that the full bcaks can bomb on. He also tidies up a lot of loose balls out of the back. If you haven't noticed, Ayala and Gibbo are hardly ball playing CBs (they are very good at what they do, but they don't often bring the ball out themselves). He is a very big part of our goals against record, and of that clean sheet run. He's been off his game in the last month, but to suggest he's been ineffective all season is inaccurate, in my opinion.

Did the introduction of fry and Kalas, who are easier to watch on the ball give the midfield more freedom?

Just thinking about your point....

Kalas possibly, I haven't seen enough of Fry on the ball to see what he is like. Every time he got it the other night and at Leeds he seemed keen to get rid of it (which I don't hold against him at all)

Did the introduction of fry and Kalas, who are easier to watch on the ball give the midfield more freedom?

Just thinking about your point....

Fry was very comfortable on the ball against Cardiff but Forshaw and Leadbitters role didn't change. They were still charged with looking after the ball out of the back. I think both Gibson and Ayala are more than comfortable at carrying the ball out the back but that's not how Karanka operates. The defence are the last line of defence and Karanka does not like any opposition player getting in behind the two centre halves for any reason.

I like the Forward thinking nature of Forshaw and think he should be given more of a chance depending on the opposition. But in my opinion Clayton and an on form Leadbitter are the best pairing, especially when we play a good team.

I think what's been missing over these last weeks is the intensity and I believe a lot of that comes from Leadbitter and Clayton. They cover a lot of ground to make sure they're always available and to close down the opposition and I just think that both have looked leggy in recent weeks. Clayton will benefit from a couple of games off and hopefully come back fresh for the run in, while I think Leadbitter could do with the same thing. He's more than likely to pick up a yellow and serve his suspension and perhaps that is the best way for him to get a rest and a bit of perspective on the side lines and come back firing on all cylinders.

All 3 of those midfielders can play an important part from now on but I definitely feel Leadbitter has been below par recently and probably just needs a rest. He's not getting any younger you know!

We also have to remember that most teams have been putting 5 in midfield to make sure Leadbitter and Clayton don't have an easy job of dominating the space. I've been as furstrated as most these past weeks but you have to give credit to the opposition for figuring out how to make life difficult for us. Maybe Forshaw will just change the dynamics for a few games to allow us to get back on the front foot and controlling games.