oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Cardiff 3-1

Bit more like it tonight. We finally look like a side capable of creating chances, not half chances but good chances. We scored three goals tonight, missed a penalty and probably missed at least two very good chances. I'm not sure how often we would have been able to say something like that over the last two seasons.

Rhodes will understandably get a bit of stick for the chances he missed. The header should have been a goal. The pull back from Nsue was a bit trickier but I have no idea why Nsue didn't just bury it himself. The other shot he had wasn't a chance in the same sense. His movement is very good in fairness to him, I'd say a definite upgrade on Nugent and Kike in that sense. Adomah was good, carried on from where he left off after coming on against Leeds. Ramirez was bright and took his goal very well. The back four did well enough considering that's the first time it's ever played together. I hope Fry isn't one of those youngsters that gets into a side and does well for a little while before fading away because if he isn't then we may have a player on our hands there.

It was a solid and much needed win and all credit to the players for coming back from a goal down as well because with on the run we've been on it could have easily gone badly from that point. I think getting the equaliser quite quickly probably helped us and what a goal it was, more performance art than football.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I think it's more having adomah on his natural side & looking like he actually wants to play football again that has helped. A by product of which is stuani being dropped.

Still. You know your team is stacked when you can drop a regular Uruguay international to the bench and not lose quality.

The thing is mate he creates next to nothing so having him in the side means you have one less player to create chances with.  Of course having an Adomah in the side that is up for it helps as well, no question about that.

I've watched the highlights numerous times now and while I know they don't tell everything about the game, they do show the bits in which we carved out some chances and there are some things in them we haven't been doing recently.

It looked like CM's were finally driving forward again, a few times Leads and Forshaw can be seen hanging around the edge of the box, Leadbitter even dispossesses a player and drives forward with it. That's refreshing.

Rhodes was all over the place, in a good way. Seemed to pull their CB's all over the shop, Leadbitters aforementioned run Rhodes had actually made a really good run that Leadbitter probably should have seen. Not only that but Rhodes danced around a guy to get the shot off that lead to the equaliser, had a nice cushioned header down to Ramirez for the second & was in the position to score at least 2 more. It's nice having someone getting in the right places.

Adomah was in like..every highlight I swear. Robbing people, driving at defenders, popping up on both the left and the right - at one point he was in the middle of the six yard box he was bursting to get forward so hard. THIS is the AA we need for the rest of the year.

And Ramirez. Wow. What an absolute signing this guy is already turning out to be. I can't stop watching his goal. It's like time just froze as the ball came to him, he had all the time in the world just to take that down, square up his body and place it right into the top corner. He was running at players, getting himself involved, looking for the killer pass. He won a penalty in which he forced the defender into a stupid tackle as a last ditch attempt or he had a clear sight of goal.

I'd like to see what people who were there said about our performance and player ratings and things, but from those highlights it looks like our front 4 may have finally clicked. Should have had 6 or 7 tonight.

Just got in from the match, i'd agree with you point about the fact we should have had 6 or 7. A few ratings to kick off...

Dimi - 8 - couple of key saves. Fabio's goal unstoppable

Nsue - 6 - wasn't as involved as usual overall

Kalas - 6 - the bloke isn't a natural CB - Bit of a wild hack to set up Cardiff's goal

Fry - 9 - this boy looks the real deal. Faultless tonight

Friend - 8 - you sense that having him back is crucial. Solid as ever

Forshaw - 8 - drove us forward, should have scored (his chance omitted from the sky highlights) made a big claim for a prolonged stint in the team tonight

Leadbitter - 6 - poor penalty, decision making questionable at times. Maybe deserves a low 7 in truth

Downing - 6 - not really in the game much at all.

Ramirez - 8 - brilliant overall but was knackered at the end. Well taken goal

Adomah - 10 - quite simply, unplayable

Rhodes - 7 - involved in both goals, chances missed and should maybe have converted one. Isolated at times. Low 8 really

Nuge - 7 - good goal, worked hard - knows he has to perform now

Stuani - 6 - hardly involved.

De Sart - n/a. Just good to see him

Likely some will disagree but thats how i saw it. Great tribute to Ali tonight too

Anyone remember what happened after the last time we came from 1 behind to win 3-1?

if we hit another run like that its hard to see anything but premier league. 41 games gone with already 90 points  :D

but it wont happen and the current top 4 will be all hitting around 2 point average. going to be a tight one.

Yeah Wolves away this season.

Adomah playing with the purpose that he did tonight would cause any Championship fullback huge problems. Ramirez done very well but despite that I was even more impressed with his drive and work rate to close down and harry, epitomised by him winning the ball from the edge of our own box to spring the counter attack which lead to our third goal. Dimi was crucial too with some key saves.

It's going to be a ridiculously tight finish, the matches we have against Hull, Burnley and Brighton could define our season, but we just need to get on a decent run and just average 2 points a game from now until the end and give ourselves the best possible chance

To put things a little bit into perspective when it comes to Jordan Rhodes not putting every single chance he gets into the back of the net, watch the highlights of the ***nal Barcelona game tonight and you'll see Suarez misses his fair share of chances, putting a couple wide and hitting the post from a few yards out. I know Suarez and Jordan Rhodes aren't really comparable but what I'm trying to say is that a striker can't score every single chance het gets, whether he costs 100m or 10m. The fact that Rhodes is getting into those sorts of positions and getting shots/headers off is very promising, his movement is on another level and he's a natural finisher. The goals will come.

Fry needs to learn to attack the ball. Neither him nor Kalas attacked the ball well enough tonight particularly in the air and it led to a lot of second balls dropping in and around our box which created a few problems. Leadbitter game them both a bollocking at one point!

He's 18 though and he's done fantastically well over the last two games. Looks so mature for his age. He's going to be a great player if he learns from the experienced lads.

With regards to Rhodes, I can't remember a centre forward create that many chances. His movement is exceptional. The fact he's getting in those positions is encouraging enough for me. I think it's also a bit of a fallacy that he doesn't do anything else. He's a hard working and more than competent in the air. He also holds the ball up well. He will score goals without a doubt.

There was a real different intent shown last night, when was the last time we had a penna awarded to us through attacking play?

Pity it was missed though I think it is fair to say that the keeper saved it!

There was a real different intent shown last night, when was the last time we had a penna awarded to us through attacking play?

Pity it was missed though I think it is fair to say that the keeper saved it!

Agree DS intent is a good descriptive word .... lets hope that pilb is over

Really happy with Fry and Kalas' performance last night, against a dangerous team that scored 4 on Saturday. I'd still have Gibbo and Ayala when both fit, but shows we do indeed have strength in depth in this area, especially with Baptiste coming back.

Anyone know how Friend played? Was a little disappointed to see De Laet dropped before the game, as he's been good.

Really happy with our front 4 last night, think Gaston could be one of the signings of the season. Genuinely excited with having him and Rhodes in our team.