oneBoro Forum

Has the academy production line broke down?

Great article Powlay. I've expressed my disappointment at our lack of use of the academy. It's a gold mine and we refuse to use it unless it's forced up on us. I hope the development of Fry might open Karanka's eyes to it's possibilities.

Again, why risk our promotion chances by playing untested youth players?

Again, why risk our promotion chances by playing other teams untested youth players?

We don't play them, which is half the point. And those that we brought in are ALL tested with at least 1 season in leagues against adults. (Usually. Not always, Velkjovic I think was an anomaly).

Yes we do. Kalas last season, kalas this season. Fredericks. Bamford. The mysterious Blackman appearance against Liverpool... Where was Ripley? Velkjovic was given a few games to prove himself. McCechran... To name a few. Are you suggesting we do not have youth players of similar or better quality?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Great article Powlay. I've expressed my disappointment at our lack of use of the academy. It's a gold mine and we refuse to use it unless it's forced up on us. I hope the development of Fry might open Karanka's eyes to it's possibilities.

Again, why risk our promotion chances by playing other teams untested youth players?

We don't play them, which is half the point. And those that we brought in are ALL tested with at least 1 season in leagues against adults. (Usually. Not always, Velkjovic I think was an anomaly).

Yes we do. Kalas last season, kalas this season. Fredericks. Bamford. The mysterious Blackman appearance against Liverpool... Where was Ripley? Velkjovic was given a few games to prove himself. McCechran... To name a few. Are you suggesting we do not have youth players of similar or better quality?

Kalas was a little different, he was brought in as a first team option I think.

Fredericks was a RB - name a RB prospect we had in 2014 that was a realistic option? I'm not convinced we even have one now.

Same with McEachran - did we have a CM in 2012 that was being talked about as good enough to play?

The Blackman and Velkjovic ones were weird but in general I think it was the right move.

Ok, again.

Sorry, what youth players were supposed to take the place of Fredericks and McEachran in their respective years?

Richie Smallwood?

The Richie Smallwood that played 60 times for Middlesbrough? 

And in the year McEachran was here, Richie Smallwood made the most appearances in his Middlesbrough career.

Adam Reach? Wasn't he at Shrewsbury in Karanka's first season?

Edit: He was at Shrewsbury, but it was actually Bradford he went to once AK had taken over.

I agree with this point. I can see a certain logic in getting in players from other clubs as cover, but there have been numerous wasted loans over the years, going back to Nimley, Ameobi, McEachran, to the likes of Blackman and Stephens. Whether there's something more to it (getting in with agents/clubs etc), who knows? But for some reason we've had some really average players come in. 

However, Kalas was already a full international when we got him in, and I thought Bamford performed very well last season. So there are definitely diamonds in there.

Edit: He was at Shrewsbury, but it was actually Bradford he went to once AK had taken over.

Cheers I knew there would be someone. Can't remember Reach going to Bradford

Luke Williams too

I think old age must be setting in because I've a complete blank on Williams playing for Karanka. Feels like a life time ago.

So that is 2 people from at a guess 40 loans who've returned to the club and gone on to play for the first team. 

I don't know if that's high or low or normal but if i was sent out on loan I might not see it as good for my long term future at the club.

McEachran was voted our young player of the year lets not forget, harsh to call him a "wasted" loan.

True, but that season it was realistically only between him, Main and Steele, and I think Steele had won it the year before.

Cheers I knew there would be someone. Can't remember Reach going to Bradford

Luke Williams too

I think old age must be setting in because I've a complete blank on Williams playing for Karanka. Feels like a life time ago.

So that is 2 people from at a guess 40 loans who've returned to the club and gone on to play for the first team. 

I don't know if that's high or low or normal but if i was sent out on loan I might not see it as good for my long term future at the club.

Or maybe..and bear with me here, this might be out there.

Just maybe, our youth aren't actually all that good and we've had a few years of dross youth players?