oneBoro Forum

Has the academy production line broke down?

The arguments gotten a little bit off track talking about many youths past and present who were not good enough to to be used Let's focus on the ones that are good enough but are not being used and ask ourselves should we worry for the future of our academy.

Reach, no longer a youth be came through our ranks. Sent on loan and replaced. He is now getting rave reviews and comparisons to bale. Karanka thinks he's not good enough.

Dael fry. Looks good enough. Used as a last resort. Every CB has been used before he got his game.

chapman. Had more endorsements front the other two combines. Sent on loan.

Reach - played regularly by Karanka last year. Absolutely slated by large number of fans. Certainly not good enough to get into our starting eleven, probably not good enough to get on our bench.

Fry - He's been great, but let's not make out he's the new messiah. He made a number of mistakes on Saturday and got lucky with them. I also don't think Gibbo (Ben) trusts him the way he trusts Ayala (which is entirely understandable and not a slight on Fry).

Chapman - very highly rated, but hasn't done anything against men yet. Only played against boys. I genuinely believe that loaning him to a league one side is better for his development than him getting five minutes here and there for us.

That's not to say I'm defending AK's use of youth, but I don't think those three really prove your point. Fry is probably your best argument, and realistically who at the start of the season would have thought he would be our third choice centre back come March of this year. I would have thought Burn, personally (if it we're going to be any of our youths - the obvious answer would have been Kalas or Baptiste).

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I’d be speculating because I have no genuine idea. The only reason I can surmise is that he’s worked closely with youth players and knows their potential pit falls first hand. I can’t explain why he uses other teams youth players in place of ours though.

I just think that there is so much pressure on the manager and the club as a whole this season that we are simply minimising risks. A player with actual professional experience in good leagues is less of a risk than a player who has never played above youth level. Even if it is simply for a spot on the bench. A player on the bench is back up so therefore could be called upon at anytime or preferably might not be. AK will be is minimising the risk if they do have to be called upon. This season is about promotion and promotion only. The prospect of promotion eclipses everything. Including youth development. It's pretty simple to me; Ignore playing untested players to minimise risk unless we are thin in that position, a more experienced player cannot be signed to cover and/or the youth player is physically well developed and of exceptional standard e.g Dael Fry.

Our ideals are being sacrificed for a season. But its for the greater good of the club as a whole and for the long term future too. Sometimes ideals and philosophies have to take a back seat. Make no mistake if we were mid table and our pre season aim was to avoid relegation we would not have being loaning back ups in and more home grown youth would be on the bench. This season is massive and if sacrificing our youth development for one season meant that we are even only 5% better as a team then its worth it. Now is not the time for f*****g about.

You think we will not sacrifising it when we are battling for relegation from PL?

As I said I havent adopted to the modern football yet, I am sure I will at some time. But we propably need to find a richer owner at one point too if we wanna play with the boys....

As I said I havent adopted to the modern football yet, I am sure I will at some time. But we propably need to find a richer owner at one point too if we wanna play with the boys....

Like Leicester and West Ham who have spent a fortune obviously.....

You think we will not sacrifising it when we are battling for relegation from PL?

Lets get there first eh?

Lets get there first eh?

Fair point :)

Lets get there first eh?

West Ham have spent some money and have a huge stadium to move into. And Leicester are the first team since forest to do what they are doing. So yes there is a chance but it's very very slim. I do agree that if we are to compete long term and not just the odd yr in 10 then you need big money investing

Every team from next year is going to be pretty god damn rich. Maybe not billion pound rich but rich enough to do what we need to do.

You'd think so but one Neymar or levandowski and that's your money gone. Man Utd will spend the whole tv money next yr wears we need a fair chunk for wages and some savings in case we go down

Every team from next year is going to be pretty god damn rich. Maybe not billion pound rich but rich enough to do what we need to do.

You'd think so but one Neymar or levandowski and that's your money gone.  Man Utd will spend the whole tv money next yr wears we need a fair chunk for wages and some savings in case we go down

If 86m isn't enough to keep us up, we deserve to go down (if we make it up in the first place of course)

You'd think so but one Neymar or levandowski and that's your money gone.  Man Utd will spend the whole tv money next yr wears we need a fair chunk for wages and some savings in case we go down

If 86m isn't enough to keep us up, we deserve to go down (if we make it up in the first place of course)

But everyone else has the 86 million and the money and players from previous seasons and for some billionaire owners

But everyone else has the 86 million and the money and players from previous seasons and for some billionaire owners

Lets just give up then