oneBoro Forum

Has the academy production line broke down?

I agree, TB, but I still don't think a couple of months in League 1 is going to hamper Chapman's career.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Chapman's not a run of the mill youth prospect not just my thoughts but also the thoughts of scouts and staff at Chelsea, ***nal, Everton and Man Utd a***st others. These are all people who've seen him play multiple times by the way and aren't basisng an opinion on ignorance.

He's not exactly a generational talent either like Rooney et al.

Good post that, Chipchat. I'd just put forward with regards to Agazzi - there are very few goalkeepers who are happy to come to a team as a third choice, or even backup. Could just be that he's prepared to do that for a relatively modest wage, and doing so gives us an experienced keeper in backup if we require him, and also allows us to give Ripley a season of first team football elsewhere. There could also be an element of building good relationships with an agent about it.

These are just my thoughts, could be way off.

I agree in a lot of ways, but I don't get the feeling we have faith in Ripley coming through for first team - Dimi's done exceptionally well to secure his spot as first choice but let's face it, we're all looking at his age and thinking he's not the long-term choice, and Meijas, while he has improved since he first came, hasn't managed to dislodge Dimi either. The chance is there for Ripley - he's 23 now - and it hasn't been offered to him, which tells me we don't believe in him.

I think it's a bit harsh to say we don't believe in him. We just gave him a new contract before sending him off, which he'll have two years left of when he comes back.

My thought is that the long-term future of Boro's keeping department is that we'll try and have Meijas and Ripley fighting for the jersey and eased into the team if we go up whilst we prepare for Dimi's retirement. If neither of them can hack it in the big time, we'll bring in somebody else. The main concern there is when do we consider bringing in a replacement for Dimi. In the PL, a good, experienced keeper will keep you up but you'd prefer to have them in from the start rather than wait until January.

We've had some decent keepers here over the last few years who've been with us since they were young. Never anything too special, the best talent was probably Steele but Ripley is hopefully seen as a better choice for that. Whenever he's asked about it, he's said his dream is to be Boro's #1 so you'd hope he'd be willing to stay and fight. And Meijas might be a Real Madrid reject but better a Madrid reject than most places. He's had some quality games in the cups and Karanka has never hesitated to bring him in if needs be. He has come a long way since he first joined.

We probably have more youngsters out on loan than we have at any time in the last 10 yrs.  wether they make the first team or not the academy is working

But is having them out on loan a sign that the academy is working? What if everyone of those loaned out drop out of professional football?

Short term picture doesnt always reflect the longer term one.

Even if you count those with a contract it's quite high

If playing for your first team is the measure then man city.  ***nal. Liverpool. Chelsea etc have all got failed academies

I go off the quote i posted on the last page for what my measure is. PLaying forst team football at a specific club is not the measure.

No but playing first team football at any professional club must be a measure of success and we have a lot who do that.

If our academy is not a success then there aren't many that are

We have some who do that but its slowed down over the last few years for sure.

Going from our Golden generation to now....so the last what 15 years? (Gibsons year was the best year in a long long time and that shows.

2001-02

Andrew Davies – Ross County

Chris Brunt – WBA

Ross Turnbull – Leeds

Danny Graham – Sunderland (Blackburn)

Niklas Nordgren – Sölvesborgs

Paul Harvey –

Jonathan Cooper –

Andrew O'Shea –

Allan Neill –

Alan Harrison ¬–

2002-03

Anthony Peacock – Spennymoor

James Morrison – WBA

Andrew Taylor – Wigan

Tony McMahon – Bradford

Gary Liddle – Chesterfield

Tom Orchard –

Peter Masters -

Michele Van Geele –

2003-04

Jason Kennedy – Carlisle

Tom Craddock – Guiseley

David Knight – West Auckland

Dale Roberts – RIP

Danny Reed – Retired

Nathan Mulligan – Whitby

Adam Johnson - Firmly established himself in the Middlesbrough 1st team in 2009/10. Represented England at U19 and U21 level. One of the Champioships hottest propects, he finally moved to Premier League side Manchester City in January 2010 for an undisclosed fee, rumoured to be in the region of £7m.

Matthew Bates – Hartlepool

David Wheater – Bolton

2004-05

Kevin Burgess – Darlington

Chris Pennock – Coach at MFC

Adam Clough –

Christophe Lemaire –

Lee Cattermole – Sunderland

Rhys Williams – MFC

Ben Hutchinson – Basford FC

Herold Goulon – FC Viitorul

Graeme Owens - Retired

Jonathan Grounds – Oldham

Seb Hines – Orlando SC

2005-06

Richard Langthorne –

Stephen Thompson – Darlington

Peter Watling – Whitley bay

Jason Honeyman – Thornaby

Daryl Robson – Brentwood town

Nathan Fisher –Spennymoor

Josh Walker – Bengaluru FC

John Johnson – Bengaluru FC

2006-07

Lewis McCardle –

Lewis Smith –

David Hillerby – Billingham Synners

Matthew Atkinson – USA?

Nathan Porritt – Thornaby

Jonathan Franks – Ross County

Shaun Saiko – Retired

Jason Steele – Blackburn

Joe Bennett – Aston Villa (Sheff Wed)

2007-08

Theo Furness – Thornaby

Jason White – Wearside League?

Ryan Burton –

Nathan Bonar – Stokesley

Sam Filler - Raynes Park Vale FC?

Johnny Harris –

Richard Smallwood – Rotherham

James Cronesberry –

Gary Martin – Iceland

Jordan Robinson – Sweden

Ashley Corker – Australia

2008-09

Keiran Edwards – Northern LEague

Derrick Bassi -

James Gray - Wrexham

Daniel Hawkins – Northern League

Kyle Oliver – northern league

Patrick Otte – NASL2

Cameron Park – Northern League

Oniforos Rouchias - Omonia

Conor Sellars - Tadcaster Albion

Phil Shead – Coach MFC

Paul Weldon – Northern League

2009-10

Andreou Marinos - Onisilos Sotira

David Atkinson - Carlisle

Ryan Brobbel - TNS

Matthew Dolan - Yeovil

Ben Gibson - Boro

Conor Murphy - Bohemans

Bruno Pilatos – Northern League

Adam Smith - Northampton

Connor Ripley - Boro

Luke Williams - S***horpe

Charlie Wyke - Carlisle

Adam Reach - Boro

2010-11

Michael Roberts

Lewis Galpin – Northern League

Adam Jackson - Boro

Curtis Edwards - Sweden

Jarrett Rivers - Blackpool

Lewis Sirrell - Colwyn Bay FC?

Matthew Waters - Whitby

Wilson Kneeshaw - Blyth

Jake Fowler – Northern LEague

James Montgomery – AFC Telford

Jake McCormick

2011-12

Luke Coddington – To be released

Andre Bennett - Boro

Anthony Hernandez - Gibraltar

Shane Bland - Whitby

Keiran Weledji - Whitby

Lewis Maloney - Boro

Jordan Jones - Boro

Zak Boagey - Aycliffe

Jimmy Warnett

Adam Garrity

Dylan McGlade - Shelbourne

2012-13

Bryn Morris Boro

Bradley Fewster Boro

Priestly Griffiths spennymoor

Mark Kitching (Pro 2016 with 1 year option)

Ross McNabb northern league

Joe Fryer Boro

Jonathan Coleby northern league/USA?

Thomas MacAloon

Luke Armstrong Scotland

Stephen O'Neil Australia

Conor O'Neil Australia

Scott McCarthy Northern LEague

Robbie Tinkler Boro

2013-14

Callum Cooke

Matty Elsdon

Dael Fry

Jonathan Helm - Guisborough

Callum Johnson

Jordan Jowers

Nathan McGinley

Junior Mondal (otherwise known as Lewis Scoble)

Nathan Plews – Northern League?

Joe Wheatley

We have some who do that but its slowed down over the last few years for sure.

*List of names*

Plenty there that I haven't seen in a while!

Whatever happened to the likes of Pilatos and Kneeshaw? I'd heard a hell of a lot of good things about those 2 and it just doesn't seem to have happened for them.

Wilson Kneeshaw was released and went to romania, came back signed for Darlington and recently for Blyth where he scored 5 in a game.

Bruno Pilatos has run in after run in after run in with the club, and seemed to have got it all behind him and was playing really well for the club at right back. Dont know what happened but he was released during the season a few years back. Ended up in the northern league like so many do.

Wilson Kneeshaw was released and went to romania, came back signed for Darlington and recently for Blyth where he scored 5 in a game.

Bruno Pilatos has run in after run in after run in with the club, and seemed to have got it all behind him and was playing really well for the club at right back. Dont know what happened but he was released during the season a few years back. Ended up in the northern league like so many do.

Thanks for the list by the way. Very interesting

I personally just think it's down to sometimes you get good yrs and sometimes you don't. I'm sure man Utd have tried for the last 20 yrs to get another yr like the beckham scholes one

They probably have not because the class of 92 are a one off once in a lifetime group.

But they have it right they have had a academy grown player in their match day side every game for the last 3000+ i believe

3,788 consecutive first team games since October 1937 with youth player in squad

Perhaps it has broken down, we are second from bottom in the league with only 3 wins all season.

Maybe thats down to the fact that a lot of players have been out on loan throughout the season. I assume you are talking about the U21's?

That could well be a factor, it does throw up a few questions;

Should the best U21 players be playing for the U21's or are they better being sent out on loan?

Would people be raving about Harry Chapman's goal if he'd scored it in front of a handful of people in an U21 match rather than in league 1?

Would it be better to keep the U21 squad together to coach them in the same way that the 1st team are coached, to give some consistency?

Would the U21's benefit from playing alongside more senior players, either in a reserve league, or out on loan?

They probably have not because the class of 92 are a one off once in a lifetime group.

But they have it right they have had a academy grown player in their match day side every game for the last 3000+ i believe

3,788 consecutive first team games since October 1937 with youth player in squad

Any idea how many of our games during the last 10 yrs we've had a youth player in the squad. It must be the vast majority. What with downing bates Steele etc