oneBoro Forum

Has the academy production line broke down?

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally agree Naisby. I was dead set against the change from reserve league to under 21 league from the start and I'll stand by it. Players coming through need to be playing well for a reserve side against experienced pros, and when their chance comes, they ought to be impressing and knocking on the managers door.

All the current system does is put another layer between youth and 1st team football. It somehow makes the youth team players less credible in the eyes of the first team manager.

If you look at the system in Spain, the big clubs have reserve teams that compete in the leagues below.

I totally agree Naisby. I was dead set against the change from reserve league to under 21 league from the start and I'll stand by it. Players coming through need to be playing well for a reserve side against experienced pros, and when their chance comes, they ought to be impressing and knocking on the managers door.

All the current system does is put another layer between youth and 1st team football. It somehow makes the youth team players less credible in the eyes of the first team manager.

If you look at the system in Spain, the big clubs have reserve teams that compete in the leagues below.

They also only have 2 profesional leauges and then one semi profesional. England have 4 profesional and 2 semi profesional. In what leauges should the reserve teams start?

The issue with the youth set up is that you are playing with peers. To really improve you need to play with people better than you. With the old reserve system you were surrounded by better players. You then raise your game to their level or you don't. Being the best player year after year doesn't help a player development but can help their value.

They also only have 2 profesional leauges and then one semi profesional. England have 4 profesional and 2 semi profesional. In what leauges should the reserve teams start?

Sorry LS, I didn't phrase that comment brilliantly.... I mentioned the Spanish system to highlight AK's mindset, he comes from a culture where the reserve teams are important and provide the next string of players when needed.

I firmly believe that there should be a reserve team league that is independent of the first team league. I'm pretty certain we had this debate a couple of years back.

Its ok, just wanted to point out the difference :)

I am sure a system like that would work eventually in England too but would take some time.

I do like the new u-21 system but I see it can have some bad outcomes too

aye, oldschool myself too.  id prefer two teams  ....our first team and mbro reserves  and below that an academy.

first team....championship

reserve team...reserve league

academy players can step up to the reserve team (as can first team stepdown) if good or bad.

all this under 15.17 19 21 stuff is confusing as it isnt strictly age adhered.

NO Research was done into this btw.... its simply a personal view.(how sad i felt the need to add that ;) )

Wasn't the reserve ream system abolished because financially weighted teams like Chelsea were hoovering up all the talent just so other teams couldn't get them? That's why they ended up with the likes of Wayne Bridge, Steve Sidwell and Damien Duff not getting a look in.

I like the 25-man squad system, but perhaps the development league rules could be tweaked to allow 5 or 6 Over 21s to play, rather than the 3(?) it is at the moment.

The issue with the youth set up is that you are playing with peers. To really improve you need to play with people better than you. With the old reserve system you were surrounded by better players. You then raise your game to their level or you don't. Being the best player year after year doesn't help a player development but can help their value.

I'm not sure where yourself and others get the idea that the old reserve league was full of 'better players' or as others think it was full of 'experienced professionals' it wasnt.

Look back 5 years in the Boro reserves/U21s youth forum on this website. I did a few reports back then.

Boro vs S***horpe - Ripley, Pilatos, Oliver, Hines, Reach, Luke Williams, Smallwood, Thomson, Fowler, Halliday, Main, Subs Brobbel, Atkinson, Jackson, Wyke, Coddington.

Only really experienced professional in the Boro line up was Thomson. 

S***horpe had a very young side that night. Looking at the other games in that time Boro played young sides as did the opponents.

Its not much different now over age players can play and do often play for all sides especially when coming back from injury or when not fancied by the manager (but often loans get them out before reserve football is used) 

The last side i remember at reserve level playing a fair few first team squad players was hartlepool against us and they whooped us on a cold, wet windy night.