oneBoro Forum

No point in repeating what everyone else has already said so I'll throw a few exclusives in, so to speak:

- I thought Friend instigated our push for the win in the last 15 minutes or so. He started to get stuck in and battled in the corner to force things. He could easily have let his poor game get him down and struggle with confidence but he was one of the few leaders in the final quarter.

- Leadbitter didn't have the best of games but I feel that if we had brought Forshaw on and lost one of our DMs Hull's midfield would have completely overran us, more so than they were doing. I like Forshaw but I'd prefer Leadbitter in the final run in now, he's experienced and a leader and HAS shown he has the quality to be one of our better players.

- Nugent works a lot better as a super sub for me, when the game is 70 minutes in and legs are tired the last thing the opposition want is a fiesty David Nugent running at them causing trouble. Rhodes WILL score goals for us, so I think we need to stick with him but not sure Karana will against QPR.

• Replies 776
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My opinion is that we're doing a lot of the right things, especially at the back. I just think in the final 3rd we're taking a touch instead of passing. It's like there's a moment's hesitation where earlier in the season there'd be a threaded ball through and a chance on goal. That's why Rhodes isn't scoring - that moment's hesitation allows the opposing defence to settle themselves. When the ball finally reaches Rhodes, he's double marked. If it were, say, Viduka or the Yak, they'd be able to hold up the ball and create something, but Rhodes is a different type of player who needs a certain type of service (from what I've seen). He can't create the space to shoot.

In these last 9 games, we need to find that confidence to play dangerous passes and make dangerous runs. We'll never be promoted on 0-0 draws and we can't rely on Nugent to come on and score a winner each game.

I really don't think we played badly yesterday, nor do I think there was any lack of effort. It's just that the confidence has taken a tumble. It's brilliant that we won but the next game is super-important to get some momentum. If we win, it might just see us through to promotion.

There was no lack of effort, but why when we counter attack do we tend to stop, instead of carrying on with the run, it gives the opposition time to get everyone behind the ball. We do it time and time again, only Adomah in full flow will try to keep going forward.

My opinion is that we're doing a lot of the right things, especially at the back. I just think in the final 3rd we're taking a touch instead of passing. It's like there's a moment's hesitation where earlier in the season there'd be a threaded ball through and a chance on goal. That's why Rhodes isn't scoring - that moment's hesitation allows the opposing defence to settle themselves. When the ball finally reaches Rhodes, he's double marked. If it were, say, Viduka or the Yak, they'd be able to hold up the ball and create something, but Rhodes is a different type of player who needs a certain type of service (from what I've seen). He can't create the space to shoot.

In these last 9 games, we need to find that confidence to play dangerous passes and make dangerous runs. We'll never be promoted on 0-0 draws and we can't rely on Nugent to come on and score a winner each game.

I really don't think we played badly yesterday, nor do I think there was any lack of effort. It's just that the confidence has taken a tumble. It's brilliant that we won but the next game is super-important to get some momentum. If we win, it might just see us through to promotion.

Some good balanced points being made today.

On the subject of not being promoted on 0-0 draws, that does seem to be what we've become somewhat. We try to defend '0' first and foremost, and then if we score more than '0' it's a bonus. The problem is, as we've all seen, that when we concede first we're usually scuppered.

The poster a couple back who said "We ain't good to watch, we are a workman like side, that lacks flair" was spot on. That is exactly what it's like at the moment. Laboured at times.

Leadbitter seems to have lost the ability to move forwards. SO many of his passes are sideways or backwards these days. I don't know what's got in to him. However, I accept what people are saying about having him and Clayton together for the game last night.

I also agree with the poster who said that Nugent is better as a super sub. I think he/she's right though that Karanka probably won't think that way against QPR.

The RESULT last night was indeed brilliant, and as another poster mentioned earlier having that positive result behind us for the next two weeks could be huge.

People are talking about momentum, and I agree it's important. However, the way that we are going to build that momentum (in my opinion) is to increase our attacking flair, intensity and tempo. If the primary objective is to stifle the life out of games, we're not going to achieve it. The stupid thing is that we CAN do it. Earlier in the season there were plenty of games when we broke with real pace, played the inside passes into the box, had players surging forwards on to it. That's all disappeared.

Anyway... like most people are saying, NINE games to go now. Take each one at a time, and try to grind out the wins!

COME ON BORO !!!

There was no lack of effort, but why when we counter attack do we tend to stop, instead of carrying on with the run, it gives the opposition time to get everyone behind the ball. We do it time and time again, only Adomah in full flow will try to keep going forward.

^^^^ SOOOO True. (We weren't stopping earlier in the season. It's baffling).

^^^^ SOOOO True. (We weren't stopping earlier in the season. It's baffling).

Confidence..pressure..the desire not to lose/concede. It's amazing what it does to you without you even knowing about it

I'll get shot down in flames for this, but so be it, I can honestly say I don't like Karanka's style of football, I find it a boring and mundane type of football, I seriously envied those Bournemouth fans last season, it must be great to watch your team bang goals in all over the place. When was the last time we put 5 or 6 past a team it doesn't happen, 5 in midfield every game, Rhodes off Nugent on or vise versa.

I will always get my season ticket regardless of what division we're in hope its promotion yes, but our style of football not for me.

I'll get shot down in flames for this, but so be it, I can honestly say I don't like Karanka's style of football, I find it a boring and mundane type of football, I seriously envied those Bournemouth fans last season, it must be great to watch your team bang goals in all over the place. When was the last time we put 5 or 6 past a team it doesn't happen, 5 in midfield every game, Rhodes off Nugent on or vise versa.

I will always get my season ticket regardless of what division we're in hope its promotion yes, but our style of football not for me.

^^^ I certainly can't argue with that.

I was just watching out goal again on the Sky highlights:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10210584/middlesbrough-1-0-hull

We actually had four players in the box when the cross came in. How often does that happen? Not very often, but you can see that it causes their defenders problems when Adomah delivers that ball in. Lovely.

Well only 6 teams have scored more than us so I would guess you wouldn't want to watch the other 17 either

Well only 6 teams have scored more than us so I would guess you wouldn't want to watch the other 17 either

So poor division then.

^^^ I certainly can't argue with that.

I was just watching out goal again on the Sky highlights:

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/10210584/middlesbrough-1-0-hull

We actually had four players in the box when the cross came in. How often does that happen? Not very often, but you can see that it causes their defenders problems when Adomah delivers that ball in. Lovely.

Scored less goals than last season, had this game been played on a cold January winters day, both keepers would have been treated for frost bite. :D

I'm honestly not massively bothered about our playing style if we're getting results. When we click, it has shown that we can play good football under Karanka (Brighton, Cardiff, Sheff wed away, Bolton etc). When it comes to playing the big teams like Hull, I'm never expecting a 3-0 and neither do I care. There's a reason why Karanka has got such a good record against the better teams, he knows how to set them up in the big games.

I said before last night that id take a scrappy 1-0 win, and that's what we got. When we play Burnley, QPR and Birmingham I'll also take a scrappy 1-0 win, the result is all that matters.

I'm not saying Karanka has got it all spot on, as clearly we lack something against the lower teams, as results have shown, but last night was about getting the job done after a horrendous week for our club, against a very good team.

Job done.

I'm honestly not massively bothered about our playing style if we're getting results. When we click, it has shown that we can play good football under Karanka (Brighton, Cardiff, Sheff wed away, Bolton etc). When it comes to playing the big teams like Hull, I'm never expecting a 3-0 and neither do I care. There's a reason why Karanka has got such a good record against the better teams, he knows how to set them up in the big games.

I said before last night that id take a scrappy 1-0 win, and that's what we got. When we play Burnley, QPR and Birmingham I'll also take a scrappy 1-0 win, the result is all that matters.

I'm not saying Karanka has got it all spot on, as clearly we lack something against the lower teams, as results have shown, but last night was about getting the job done after a horrendous week for our club, against a very good team.

Job done.

Great result, just don't like the style of football, one shot on target in 90 mins, Hull keeper not a shot to save.

Job done.

Great result, just don't like the style of football, one shot on target in 90 mins, Hull keeper not a shot to save.

We had two shots on target thank you very much, the other was off the line. :P