oneBoro Forum

Boro's Playing Formation

A lot has been said (media, opposition managers, fans, etc) that Karanka has no Plan B if its not working.

My take on next season, regardless of what division we are in ( hopefully Premier)that without abandoning our usual formation, that Aitor and his coaching staff should try to adapt the players to different styles and formations, 4-4-2  or 3-5-2 for instance, which would give us more options when things aren't going right. Perhaps even bring in another addition to the coaching staff an attack minded experienced coach for instance.

The current system of play has got us 3rd in the league, but certain games, we have ran out of ideas by sticking to the same system, in certain games this season and last, and sometimes changing the formation and having a Plan B & C can work dividends.

I also think we have to bear in mind this is a young head coach/manager still learning his trade, and he may well feel the need for change.

Have been thinking about the 3-5-2 formation. I think we could pull it off with Nsue and Friend and the wingbacks in the 5 man midfield. Could even use Downing at Wing back if he pulls his finger out

Have been thinking about the 3-5-2 formation. I think we could pull it off with Nsue and Friend and the wingbacks in the 5 man midfield. Could even use Downing at Wing back if he pulls his finger out

I don't think its a bad system, your not losing anything in midfield and you've still got more of an attacking threat.

A lot has been said (media, opposition managers, fans, etc) that Karanka has no Plan B if its not working.

My take on next season, regardless of what division we are in ( hopefully Premier)that without abandoning our usual formation, that Aitor and his coaching staff should try to adapt the players to different styles and formations, 4-4-2  or 3-5-2 for instance, which would give us more options when things aren't going right. Perhaps even bring in another addition to the coaching staff an attack minded experienced coach for instance.

The current system of play has got us 3rd in the league, but certain games, we have ran out of ideas by sticking to the same system, in certain games this season and last, and sometimes changing the formation and having a Plan B & C can work dividends.

I also think we have to bear in mind this is a young head coach/manager still learning his trade, and he may well feel the need for change.

We said exactly the same thing at the end of last season. There's no doubt an alternative approach to games or an inability to change things fluidly has lost us points this season. I maintain that we aren't getting the best out of the squad we have. Whether that's down to formation, tactics or management i'm not quite sure. Probably all three.

I think 3-5-2 was how we should have turned round the Charlton game. Both our fullbacks were high up the pitch because Charlton didn't commit their wingers forward at all. They relied on the pace of their front 2 to cause us problems. With our fullbacks so high up the pitch it was often 2 v 2, while the gaps we'd like to exploit weren't there because they had 2 banks of 4 sitting deep.

Had we switched to 3 centre backs, with wing backs providing the width we could have played 2 up front, Ramirez in a free role behind and still kept the 2 central midfielders. I think this would have nullified the Charlton threat while providing us with more power up front to force a mistake and create better chances.

I happen to like the formation we do play in general because it can adapt and switch depending on the current situation. But to do this it depends on the players keeping up the energy and intensity required. I definitely agree that we should have a plan B. I can't think of a game where we've visibly switched it round and made a difference.

8-1-1

Sounds good, should keep plenty of clean sheets, why not go 9-0-1 and just hoof it up to the lone striker, even stronger defensively, nice to know your not sarcastic or a wum.

It was a joke, who do you think you are by backseat modding, Dxmge?

8-1-1

Sounds good, should keep plenty of clean sheets, why not go 9-0-1 and just hoof it up to the lone striker, even stronger defensively, nice to know your not sarcastic or a wum.

We live in an age where jokes are not allowed, it's like a ***ter Footloose :(

8-1-1

So your saying we can't dance either,

8-1-1

Nope :(

8-1-1

Are we still crying?

Nope :(

We can dance if we want to..

We can leave our friends behind...

'Cause our friends don't dance, and if they don't dance, well they're no friends of mine!

8-1-1

Are we still crying?

Only whilst you're still whining. ;)