oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston North End 1-0

Bloody human beings eh?  I can't stand the unreliable buggers.

We aren't playing Milan of the early 90's here, it's Preston.  Defensively they aren't as good as Derby, Sheff Wed and Brighton and we managed ok against those three.  They lost at home against Fulham during the week.  If we don't win tomorrow it will be down to us rather than them.  We're the better side, we score more goals, we concede fewer.  We have better defenders, midfielders and attackers - we have a better squad.  They've had a much better season than I thought they'd have and that's to their credit but we're trying to win promotion here and that means beating midtable sides at home.  No excuses.

That's absolutely spot on its all about us on the day.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. There is no good reason why we shouldn't win tomorrow.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

We aren't playing Milan of the early 90's here, it's Preston.  Defensively they aren't as good as Derby, Sheff Wed and Brighton and we managed ok against those three.  They lost at home against Fulham during the week.  If we don't win tomorrow it will be down to us rather than them.  We're the better side, we score more goals, we concede fewer.  We have better defenders, midfielders and attackers - we have a better squad.  They've had a much better season than I thought they'd have and that's to their credit but we're trying to win promotion here and that means beating midtable sides at home.  No excuses.

That's absolutely spot on its all about us on the day.

That's exactly what I was trying to say. There is no good reason why we shouldn't win tomorrow.

Yeah I thought your last line was spot on.  How we deal with the pressure is perhaps our biggest obstacle.

I think some fans are being ultra cautious because of the typical Boro curse - throwing it away when we find ourselves in a good position. But I don't think we will now, our excellent home form will see us through. And the togetherness the club has shown post Hull, shows me they are more determined than ever to get the job done. It's ok to start dreaming again Boro fans.

UTB.

Leeds to hold Burnley to a draw in the early kick off. The 4 -1 Boro win over PNE takes us to the top of the Championship with a game in hand and one point of the talismatic 2 x points per game ratio. Positive thinking and I'm not drunk.

Only marginally;

Preston -- 38

Brighton -- 37

Derby -- 37

Sheff W -- 37

My worry is that they will sit back and we will do our annoying thing of struggling to break them down for 90 minutes.

It took us 80 odd minutes to score against Derby and we couldn't score against Sheff Wed for 89 minutes.

Only marginally;

Preston -- 38

Brighton -- 37

Derby -- 37

Sheff W -- 37

My worry is that they will sit back and we will do our annoying thing of struggling to break them down for 90 minutes.

It took us 80 odd minutes to score against Derby and we couldn't score against Sheff Wed for 89 minutes.

We scored against Sheff Wed within 1 minute, we didn't need to score after that.

Only marginally;

Preston -- 38

Brighton -- 37

Derby -- 37

Sheff W -- 37

Marginally or not they aren't some incredible defensive outfit.  Our record is better, Hull's is better and Burnley's is better along with the sides I mentioned.  Forest have only conceded a few goals less as have Cardiff.

We've scored four times against Sheff Wed this season and for a large part of the home game we were doing the defending our lead routine.  We've scored three times against Derby and three times against Brighton.  Sitting back or not, if we haven't got the guile to break down a midtable side in this division then we've got no chance next season should we get promoted.  Hull at this level are a good defensive outfit and we managed to break them down.  Preston aren't at that level and as long as we don't let them act like it then we should be able to get the job done.

Only marginally;

Preston -- 38

Brighton -- 37

Derby -- 37

Sheff W -- 37

Marginally or not they aren't some incredible defensive outfit.  Our record is better, Hull's is better and Burnley's is better along with the sides I mentioned.  Forest have only conceded a few goals less as have Cardiff.

We've scored four times against Sheff Wed this season and for a large part of the home game we were doing the defending our lead routine.  We've scored three times against Derby and three times against Brighton.  Sitting back or not, if we haven't got the guile to break down a midtable side in this division then we've got no chance next season should we get promoted.  Hull at this level are a good defensive outfit and we managed to break them down.  Preston aren't at that level and as long as we don't let them act like it then we should be able to get the job done.

We drew 0-0 with Fulham and they have the worst record in the league.

My point is, we often throw out these games at home and there is no explaining it. Having said that I do agree that we should score. PNE have been conceding lately. No clean-sheets in six I think...

But... they are a well drilled side and can't be under-estimated. No side has beaten them by more than two goals this season and under a manager like Grayson they will not lie down and take a pummeling. They are an incredibly well drilled side and have the ability to stifle us. This is not gonna be an easy game.

At this stage, I would gladly take an awful 1-0 win like we got at Brentford.

Only marginally;

Preston -- 38

Brighton -- 37

Derby -- 37

Sheff W -- 37

Bang on CT, well said

Preston are carrying a lot of injuries, apparently including their two first choice CB's, and will be without Reach so the 3 points should be there for the taking in we perform anywhere near our ability.