oneBoro Forum

Boro v Preston North End 1-0

Resting a player is not necessarily done solely because they've got 'tired legs.' There's a number of factors at play; physical condition, muscle fatigue/wear, knocks, tactical changes. And regardless of whether a player can play two games in 3/4 days, the reality is that if they do that regularly, physically they will deteriorate by the end of a strenuous period.

It's no coincidence that since Karanka took over and we've used his rotation policy, our injury count has lowered significantly. Previously, short term / juggling injuries have hampered our progress significantly - particularly hamstring injuries.

I dare say it'd be easier for a Premiership player to play a clump of games than a Championship one; this level is much more physical in style than the Premier League.

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Are you seriously comparing Sunday league football to professional football in the second highest league in England where over 100 million is at stake. Yeah, I once played drunk in the park, then went home and had a good time with my wife and even managed to go to work the next day. No problem at all ;)

Seriously, we have a very good squad and in this run in it is important to use it. I get your point about not playing Stuani right, but some people need more rest than others and I personally thought it was ok to give downing and Clayton in particular a rest and try to bring Stuani and Forshaw in. In hindsight it may have been better to push Nsue to right wing but he has made the RB position his now.

I used to play sat and then sun morning. But it wasn't the same level the same intensity and the players we played against also played the day before

Have you seen the state of the legs and feet of the pros after a game I used to get knocks and bangs but nothing like them.

And the point isn't are they fit to play. Yes they are but if your players are at 90% and the opposition are 100% then that's a big difference at that level

And if your sports science dept say player A has a 30% chance of pulling something if he plays in the next 2 days then you probably rest him. Until the last few games of the season then you risk it

Are you seriously comparing Sunday league football to professional football in the second highest league in England where over 100 million is at stake. Yeah, I once played drunk in the park, then went home and had a good time with my wife and even managed to go to work the next day. No problem at all ;)

Seriously, we have a very good squad and in this run in it is important to use it. I get your point about not playing Stuani right, but some people need more rest than others and I personally thought it was ok to give downing and Clayton in particular a rest and try to bring Stuani and Forshaw in. In hindsight it may have been better to push Nsue to right wing but he has made the RB position his now.

Read the post, I said DIFFERENT LEVELS or did you miss that part, and if you turned up drunk to play 90 minutes at any league level  you wouldn't last 5 minutes, once had a player who did that went up for a ball and spewed up over the oppositions centre half and got subbed straight away, but he apologised to the opposition player.The remark was made I'd never played sport at a competitive level, if its a league its competitive so I was replying to it.

Read the post, I said DIFFERENT LEVELS or did you miss that part, and if you turned up drunk to play 90 minutes at any league level  you wouldn't last 5 minutes, once had a player who did that went up for a ball and spewed up over the oppositions centre half and got subbed straight away, but he apologised to the opposition player.The remark was made I'd never played sport at a competitive level, if its a league its competitive so I was replying to it.

Sunday league... Enough said

I'm in favour of the current rotation policy. We're going to be top on Tuesday, I hope, so it must be working! We also get less injuries now in comparison to previous managerial regimes. I don't have the stats but it certainly feels like we perform better in the second half, maybe that's down to fresher players

I'm in favour of the current rotation policy. We're going to be top on Tuesday, I hope, so it must be working! We also get less injuries now in comparison to previous managerial regimes. I don't have the stats but it certainly feels like we perform better in the second half, maybe that's down to fresher players

You must have played Sunday League football then, Steve Gibsons bulkhaul play in the Teesbrough 1st division, quite a few players have also been picked up for northern league football. Vardy came from non league football. I'll leave it at that.

You must have played Sunday League football then, Steve Gibsons bulkhaul play in the Teesbrough 1st division, quite a few players have also been picked up for northern league football. Vardy came from non league football. I'll leave it at that.

Every pro footballer comes from somewhere. It still Doesn't make it comparable to the championship whatsoever in terms of how it effects the players physiques and mentality. Yes it's both a game of football but the comparability stops there.

And as others have said rotation is not solely because of fitness but a lot of other factors has to be considered. For what it's worth AK is doing it well. We've barely had any injuries this season apart from Ayala, friend and Stuani.

Do we get fewer injuries now than in the past just out of interest? A few people have said this but it this fact or opinion?

Do we get fewer injuries now than in the past just out of interest?  A few people have said this but it this fact or opinion?

I don't know if we do, to be honest. It seems that we haven't had a huge amount of muscular injuries in the last couple of years. They seem to have been long term ligament (Williams, Damia) or unlucky breaks (Baptiste). I'm not including Woodgate as he is made of glass. Ayala and Stuani, off the top of my head, are the only ones that seem to have had lengthy (by which I mean more than 2 or 3 games) muscular injuries this or last season, and obviously the latter was on international duty. How much this has to do with rotation, or just plain luck, I don't know.

Under Mowbray we seemed to pick up loads of muscle injuries, so much so that we had some sort of post-season investigation into it. I remember the Gazette having an article making a big deal out of it.