Boro v Preston North End 1-0

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

CT - Won't quote as it'll be a novel :) i'll have a little look at the squads and get back to you

Yeah no worries.  I have this feeling that Karanka when he came here said something along the lines of the squad being too big and he only wanted X number of players.  That's in my mind anyway.  If you look the players we've used over the last two seasons that you posted, which are the only two that are really Karanka's squads, they are are both lower than the previous three seasons so maybe there is something in it.

Okay, senior players (ie. Ignoring youngsters who never played) used in each season:

11/12 - 41

12/13 - 36

13/14 - 37

14/15 - 44

15/16 - 35

It's not infallible as it doesn't take into account players who left mid-way through the season, but early signs suggest it's pretty similar, or short term loan players. Can have a better look tomorrow.

I think we saw marginally more players feature under Mogga because of the higher number of injuries. As I say, that may not be solely down to the rotation policy we have now - the magic sandpit featured on SSN a year or so back might be a big contributor.

Essentially... We don't know anything for certain :)

CT - Won't quote as it'll be a novel :) i'll have a little look at the squads and get back to you

Yeah no worries.  I have this feeling that Karanka when he came here said something along the lines of the squad being too big and he only wanted X number of players.  That's in my mind anyway.  If you look the players we've used over the last two seasons that you posted, which are the only two that are really Karanka's squads, they are are both lower than the previous three seasons so maybe there is something in it.

That's true; they're beefed out by players like Velijkovic, Stephens, de Sart etc who rarely play.

And the legend that was Dwight Tiendalli

There's no way we had 44 players last season mate! Just looking at Soccerbase and that counts 37, which includes people that didn't really play like Fewster, Bennett, Bryn Morris. Where are you getting the figures from?

StatBunker; looking at it again, it's ***e... It lists Emnes despite he fact he left the January prior!!!

For last season, I'd go with:

1 - Damia

2 - Friend

3 - Ayala

4 - Fredericks

5 - Gibson

6 - Leadbitter

7 - Clayton

8 - Kike

9 - Tomlin

10 - Ledesma

11 - Dimi

12 - Husband

13 - Whitehead

14 - Reach

15 - Vossen

16 - Omeruo

17 - Bamford

18 - Nsue

19 - R. Williams

20 - Kalas

21 - Adomah

22 - Wildschut

23 - Forshaw

24 - Woodgate

25 - Mejias

26 - L. Williams

27 - Hines

28 - Fewster (Played 2)

29 - Veljkovic

30 - Smallwood

31 - Blackman

Then seniors who didn't feature:

32 - Carayol

33 - Halliday

34 - Steele

Not sure where the other 3 for 37 come from? (edit; Bennett, Morris, Jones?)

Ignore those numbers before. StatBunker is ***.

How many we have in the squad shouldn't be important.  The same number of game hours are played so injuries can be compared quite accurately

You don't just get injured in games though so actually they can't.

No it wasn't the shape of the team was all over with Stuani in the side, Adomah should have been on the right, Downing on the left, it was a poor performance and thankfully we got away with it, Preston did enough to feel unlucky.

Hang on, your saying it was the wrong call because we didnt play as well as we are capable of? If we did it your way, with Adomah on the right and Downing on the right, which I agree is our best forward line and won 3-0, that would be better? And when do we rest these players or do we just burn them out?

We cant be outstanding every game and play with the same eleven, its just not realistic. Preston can count themselves unlucky, but we won and rested some players.... great day at the office that

This resting of players, we played on Tuesday, then 4 day's later on Saturday, what are the players doing in between a Royal marine assault course, they're trained athletes who play 90 minutes football twice a week. What you don't do is take your best right sided, right footed player and play him on the left and replace him with Stuani who has talent but is ineffective on the right, and has been for the last few months when played in that position.

Agreed the win is what counts but the team loses something in attack when we play Stuani on the right and Adomah on the left.

Listen, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I can see that you haven't played sport at a competitive level from this comment, so I don't think there's any point in continuing with this because I cant convince you of something that  I know but you don't believe in.

One thing to keep in mind is that if players, managers and experts generally say its hard to play 2 games a week for 4 weeks, you might want to consider that they know what they're talking about, even if you don't think that I do. Another thing is that AK WILL use the squad in this run of games, so if it annoys you so much, prepared to be quite irritated.

As long as we keep winning though, I'm sure we will all be happy as Larry. UTB

I've finished a night shift and played 90 minutes sunday league football 3 hours later, and then played Tuesday different levels yes, so no disrespect either.

Juan Mata is playing his 41st game for Man U today, you reckon Spurs or Leicester have any intention of resting Kane or Vardy as both teams go for the title, bearing in mind both have also been on International duty( I doubt it) while other players had a 2 week break.

On your take, play the same side Tuesday barring Adomah who should be rested after putting in a lot of effort in recent weeks.

Are you seriously comparing Sunday league football to professional football in the second highest league in England where over 100 million is at stake. Yeah, I once played drunk in the park, then went home and had a good time with my wife and even managed to go to work the next day. No problem at all ;)

Seriously, we have a very good squad and in this run in it is important to use it. I get your point about not playing Stuani right, but some people need more rest than others and I personally thought it was ok to give downing and Clayton in particular a rest and try to bring Stuani and Forshaw in. In hindsight it may have been better to push Nsue to right wing but he has made the RB position his now.

Read the post, I said DIFFERENT LEVELS or did you miss that part, and if you turned up drunk to play 90 minutes at any league level  you wouldn't last 5 minutes, once had a player who did that went up for a ball and spewed up over the oppositions centre half and got subbed straight away, but he apologised to the opposition player.The remark was made I'd never played sport at a competitive level, if its a league its competitive so I was replying to it.

Sunday league... Enough said

I'm in favour of the current rotation policy. We're going to be top on Tuesday, I hope, so it must be working! We also get less injuries now in comparison to previous managerial regimes. I don't have the stats but it certainly feels like we perform better in the second half, maybe that's down to fresher players

You must have played Sunday League football then, Steve Gibsons bulkhaul play in the Teesbrough 1st division, quite a few players have also been picked up for northern league football. Vardy came from non league football. I'll leave it at that.

I have to ask, are you just intentionally trying to wind me up?

I didn't think I had to specify this but no, I meant competitively as in as some kind of semi or fully professional capacity. Like how I played semi professional football and coached there after, like how my dad played Rugby semi professionally for England, like how my uncle played semi professional football and now runs the largest goalkeeping academy in North West America, like how my baby brother plays college football in the states (anyone who knows anything about NFL will understand) and has been approached by a professional club, like how my cousin plays for Cardiff, like how my mate Tommy played for Everton and England... like thats how I mean. Anything remotely comparable to the championship basically.

I bet my mate I could eat muffin in one bite on Tuesday, I wouldn't say I am a competitive eater. I also raced our lass to the lamppost this morning when we went for a run, yet I wouldn't class myself as a competitive runner.

Top and bottom of it is that I tried to be nice and patient with you and you nit picked my point into coming back with retorts that really didn't provide any substance to your arguments that players shouldn't get tired, so bluntly:

Players who play in professional sports will fatigue when faced with a large number of high intensity games in a short span of time, thus every now and again will need a rest. An extremely high number of experts who've played competitively (as in professionally) as well as people who practice medicine/sports science will agree upon this. We won the game and managed to rest some players in our busy schedule, that is good management. AK will continue to rotate since generally speaking he has a good track record of making that work. So if you're going to be upset each time you feel our best 11 isn't playing, you are going to be upset a bit. We wont win every game, and sometimes it just will not work, thats how sport works.

If its all the same to you Id rather not continue this argument any further as I honestly don't think you're making any interesting, valid or thought provoking points.

One of those games where we just got the job done. There were a lot of nervous performances from some experienced players. Ayala looked rusty, the midfield struggled to keep hold of possession for long periods and Nugent again missed an important one on one. Having said that performances are not in the slightest bit important at this stage of the season. We just need to keep churning out the wins. I think we also saw how vulnerable the defence can be if they're not given the protection they're used too. The defence as a unit looked a bit sloppy

I think we have it in us to beat Reading on Tuesday but we need to have a little more conviction in our performance. Could be a tricky night.

Sound analysis that, Humpty. Contrary to what they said on the rubbish Channel 5 programme, I actually found it refreshing that Adomah admitted to the nerves within the squad. It shows that they're under no illusions as to the way they played and know where they need to improve. The statement 'we won today and played OK' from Albert summed it up, really.

Preston was always going to be a tricky fixture. But winning breeds confidence, and a fourth straight win should see us get our old swagger back for tomorrow's big game. We've had this game in hand for a while - now is the time to capitalise.

Hang on, your saying it was the wrong call because we didnt play as well as we are capable of? If we did it your way, with Adomah on the right and Downing on the right, which I agree is our best forward line and won 3-0, that would be better? And when do we rest these players or do we just burn them out?

We cant be outstanding every game and play with the same eleven, its just not realistic. Preston can count themselves unlucky, but we won and rested some players.... great day at the office that

This resting of players, we played on Tuesday, then 4 day's later on Saturday, what are the players doing in between a Royal marine assault course, they're trained athletes who play 90 minutes football twice a week. What you don't do is take your best right sided, right footed player and play him on the left and replace him with Stuani who has talent but is ineffective on the right, and has been for the last few months when played in that position.

Agreed the win is what counts but the team loses something in attack when we play Stuani on the right and Adomah on the left.

Listen, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I can see that you haven't played sport at a competitive level from this comment, so I don't think there's any point in continuing with this because I cant convince you of something that  I know but you don't believe in.

One thing to keep in mind is that if players, managers and experts generally say its hard to play 2 games a week for 4 weeks, you might want to consider that they know what they're talking about, even if you don't think that I do. Another thing is that AK WILL use the squad in this run of games, so if it annoys you so much, prepared to be quite irritated.

As long as we keep winning though, I'm sure we will all be happy as Larry. UTB

I've finished a night shift and played 90 minutes sunday league football 3 hours later, and then played Tuesday different levels yes, so no disrespect either.

Juan Mata is playing his 41st game for Man U today, you reckon Spurs or Leicester have any intention of resting Kane or Vardy as both teams go for the title, bearing in mind both have also been on International duty( I doubt it) while other players had a 2 week break.

On your take, play the same side Tuesday barring Adomah who should be rested after putting in a lot of effort in recent weeks.

Are you seriously comparing Sunday league football to professional football in the second highest league in England where over 100 million is at stake. Yeah, I once played drunk in the park, then went home and had a good time with my wife and even managed to go to work the next day. No problem at all ;)

Seriously, we have a very good squad and in this run in it is important to use it. I get your point about not playing Stuani right, but some people need more rest than others and I personally thought it was ok to give downing and Clayton in particular a rest and try to bring Stuani and Forshaw in. In hindsight it may have been better to push Nsue to right wing but he has made the RB position his now.

Read the post, I said DIFFERENT LEVELS or did you miss that part, and if you turned up drunk to play 90 minutes at any league level  you wouldn't last 5 minutes, once had a player who did that went up for a ball and spewed up over the oppositions centre half and got subbed straight away, but he apologised to the opposition player.The remark was made I'd never played sport at a competitive level, if its a league its competitive so I was replying to it.

Sunday league... Enough said

I'm in favour of the current rotation policy. We're going to be top on Tuesday, I hope, so it must be working! We also get less injuries now in comparison to previous managerial regimes. I don't have the stats but it certainly feels like we perform better in the second half, maybe that's down to fresher players

You must have played Sunday League football then, Steve Gibsons bulkhaul play in the Teesbrough 1st division, quite a few players have also been picked up for northern league football. Vardy came from non league football. I'll leave it at that.

I have to ask, are you just intentionally trying to wind me up?

I didn't think I had to specify this but no, I meant competitively as in as some kind of semi or fully professional capacity. Like how I played semi professional football and coached there after, like how my dad played Rugby semi professionally for England, like how my uncle played semi professional football and now runs the largest goalkeeping academy in North West America, like how my baby brother plays college football in the states (anyone who knows anything about NFL will understand) and has been approached by a professional club, like how my cousin plays for Cardiff, like how my mate Tommy played for Everton and England... like thats how I mean. Anything remotely comparable to the championship basically.

I bet my mate I could eat muffin in one bite on Tuesday, I wouldn't say I am a competitive eater. I also raced our lass to the lamppost this morning when we went for a run, yet I wouldn't class myself as a competitive runner.

Top and bottom of it is that I tried to be nice and patient with you and you nit picked my point into coming back with retorts that really didn't provide any substance to your arguments that players shouldn't get tired, so bluntly:

Players who play in professional sports will fatigue when faced with a large number of high intensity games in a short span of time, thus every now and again will need a rest. An extremely high number of experts who've played competitively (as in professionally) as well as people who practice medicine/sports science will agree upon this. We won the game and managed to rest some players in our busy schedule, that is good management. AK will continue to rotate since generally speaking he has a good track record of making that work. So if you're going to be upset each time you feel our best 11 isn't playing, you are going to be upset a bit. We wont win every game, and sometimes it just will not work, thats how sport works.

If its all the same to you Id rather not continue this argument any further as I honestly don't think you're making any interesting, valid or thought provoking points.

What college does your brother play for? And what team is interested? What position does he play?