Boro v Preston North End 1-0

• Replies 528
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I mean that positionally Forshaw sits further forward than Clayton when we don't have the ball. I didn't think we pressed forward at all, other than a twenty minute spell in the first half.  My point was that while Forshaw tracks back and tackles well, he doesn't think like a DM simply because he isn't one. I don't think he had a bad game but we were overrun in midfield in that second half until Clayton came on.

But they were bypassing it a lot of the time so I don't see the positional side of what you're saying. When Clayton came on he didn't come on for Forshaw he came on for Ramirez and we simply became more defensive.   I wouldn't argue that Forshaw wants to sit further forward but against Fulham Leadbitter sat deeper I seem to remember so why didn't he do it on Saturday?  Who would you want on the ball going forwards for us, Leadbitter or Forshaw?  Personally I would want Forshaw doing it but as I said for a decent period of the first half we were the dominant side so clearly the midfield wasn't a problem then because we pushed them back completely.

This resting of players, we played on Tuesday, then 4 day's later on Saturday, what are the players doing in between a Royal marine assault course, they're trained athletes who play 90 minutes football twice a week. What you don't do is take your best right sided, right footed player and play him on the left and replace him with Stuani who has talent but is ineffective on the right, and has been for the last few months when played in that position.

Agreed the win is what counts but the team loses something in attack when we play Stuani on the right and Adomah on the left.

Listen, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I can see that you haven't played sport at a competitive level from this comment, so I don't think there's any point in continuing with this because I cant convince you of something that  I know but you don't believe in.

One thing to keep in mind is that if players, managers and experts generally say its hard to play 2 games a week for 4 weeks, you might want to consider that they know what they're talking about, even if you don't think that I do. Another thing is that AK WILL use the squad in this run of games, so if it annoys you so much, prepared to be quite irritated.

As long as we keep winning though, I'm sure we will all be happy as Larry. UTB

I've finished a night shift and played 90 minutes sunday league football 3 hours later, and then played Tuesday different levels yes, so no disrespect either.

Juan Mata is playing his 41st game for Man U today, you reckon Spurs or Leicester have any intention of resting Kane or Vardy as both teams go for the title, bearing in mind both have also been on International duty( I doubt it) while other players had a 2 week break.

On your take, play the same side Tuesday barring Adomah who should be rested after putting in a lot of effort in recent weeks.

Read the post, I said DIFFERENT LEVELS or did you miss that part, and if you turned up drunk to play 90 minutes at any league level  you wouldn't last 5 minutes, once had a player who did that went up for a ball and spewed up over the oppositions centre half and got subbed straight away, but he apologised to the opposition player.The remark was made I'd never played sport at a competitive level, if its a league its competitive so I was replying to it.

Sunday league... Enough said

I'm in favour of the current rotation policy. We're going to be top on Tuesday, I hope, so it must be working! We also get less injuries now in comparison to previous managerial regimes. I don't have the stats but it certainly feels like we perform better in the second half, maybe that's down to fresher players

You must have played Sunday League football then, Steve Gibsons bulkhaul play in the Teesbrough 1st division, quite a few players have also been picked up for northern league football. Vardy came from non league football. I'll leave it at that.

I have to ask, are you just intentionally trying to wind me up?

I didn't think I had to specify this but no, I meant competitively as in as some kind of semi or fully professional capacity. Like how I played semi professional football and coached there after, like how my dad played Rugby semi professionally for England, like how my uncle played semi professional football and now runs the largest goalkeeping academy in North West America, like how my baby brother plays college football in the states (anyone who knows anything about NFL will understand) and has been approached by a professional club, like how my cousin plays for Cardiff, like how my mate Tommy played for Everton and England... like thats how I mean. Anything remotely comparable to the championship basically.

I bet my mate I could eat muffin in one bite on Tuesday, I wouldn't say I am a competitive eater. I also raced our lass to the lamppost this morning when we went for a run, yet I wouldn't class myself as a competitive runner.

Top and bottom of it is that I tried to be nice and patient with you and you nit picked my point into coming back with retorts that really didn't provide any substance to your arguments that players shouldn't get tired, so bluntly:

Players who play in professional sports will fatigue when faced with a large number of high intensity games in a short span of time, thus every now and again will need a rest. An extremely high number of experts who've played competitively (as in professionally) as well as people who practice medicine/sports science will agree upon this. We won the game and managed to rest some players in our busy schedule, that is good management. AK will continue to rotate since generally speaking he has a good track record of making that work. So if you're going to be upset each time you feel our best 11 isn't playing, you are going to be upset a bit. We wont win every game, and sometimes it just will not work, thats how sport works.

If its all the same to you Id rather not continue this argument any further as I honestly don't think you're making any interesting, valid or thought provoking points.

I made a point with regard to Stuani, playing on the right and that this effected the shape of the team, and that with regard to rest the players had a 4 day break before the next game, you were the one who resorted to the personal attack, stating I'd never played competitive sport, you were wrong, the debate was with regard to Stuani and resting players not my personal sporting career, if you want to spin it to suit yourself fair enough.

Incidentally Leicester have just played the last 13 games with the same starting 11 so it works for some.

The point you made was that Karanka got the team selection wrong, my point was that he managed to rest some players and we got the win, therefore he got it right. I stand by that.

I didn't realise saying that I could see you hadn't played competitive sport (i.e. pro or semi pro - where its your job) was a personal attack, it certainly wasn't meant that way so I am sorry that is how you have perceived it. My point is that I have, and my close Friends and family all have and some still do, one of which is in the championship. And using all that personal information as well as experts and sports scientists, the general consensus is that 8 games in 29 games is a lot and fatigues a player, so we will have to rotate, a policy that you've stated you disagree with since "they aren't doing royal marine assault courses between." I already said politely that even if you don't agree with me, you may want to consider all these experts opinions, thats all.

I don't feel Ive spun anything, as I've said, if you haven't played at what I consider a competitive level, which may be different to your definition, it may be hard to imagine why they get fatigued I guess. I called your sporting career into to debate because it is relevant to a persons understanding of the way players fatigue at this type of level. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, I felt it was a valid contribution to the discussion. You've made it clear that you have played at a competitive level by your definition, whatever that me be.

Leicester City's last 13 fixtures date back to January 16th, so I don't think that is a valid comparison. We aren't going to see eye to eye over this, basically you don't think players should need a rest and you've based that on whatever it is you've based it on. I do think we need to rotate players and I am sure we will. I've tried to end this conversation twice because I personally don't feel that you are providing anything to back up your argument so, if you do have some I would be really interested in hearing them, not to try to prove a point but because it is genuine interest of mine. If you haven't then honestly mate, Id rather leave it and just say we disagree. Again sorry if you feel personally attacked, that is in no way how I was attempting to approach it, I'm passionate about my opinion and sometimes over blocks of text, that may come across in an unintended manner.

I think what this game showed is key Clayton and Leadbitter are - or rather 2 defensive midfielders. I really like Forshaw, but he wants to attack. Clayton and Leadbitter love to defend and pass the glory on.

If we were a different team with a different style, Forshaw would be a nailed on starter. Same as Butterfield. It's horses for courses.

This is why I think de Saet will be a key player going forward. Clearly bee brought in as the 2nd cover player in the middle.

The next challenge for the summer is to iron out the left hand side. It is not currently as effective as the right hand side.

I think the problem was that Grant (who had a great game btw) was wanting to push forward and he relies on Clayton to sit behind him to hold the fort. When he pushed forward, Forshaw was right there with him. We missed that strength for when we did lose the ball.

Sorry but hat's not the game I saw.  For most of the game we weren't pushing forward at all really. First chunk of the first half we weren't and pretty much all of the second half was the same.  The only time we were pushing forward was coincidentally our best spell of the game when we were the dominant side leading up to our goal and for the rest of the half after it.  The issues were that Leadbitter in particular was chasing shadows at times, they played quite direct so could circumvent our two midfielders anyway and seemed to focus either straight up the middle or slightly wider to get at our fullbacks.  The question should be what happened with us at half time that lead to them coming out and playing the way they did afterwards and why couldn't we respond to Preston's changes.  We won but that was a really unconvincing performance by the team and manager and I don't accept that it's just down to nerves because up until half time we didn't seem to have any at all.

We often don't respond too well when teams make tactical changes mid-match against us. Personally I don't think Karanka reads the game all that well (relative to some other more experienced managers). He's clearly a great defensive coach, but he's got areas in his management 'skillset' that need a good deal of improving. Making tactical substitutions that really have an impact on a game is one of those.

What college does your brother play for? And what team is interested? What position does he play?

Alright Brunners, he's a defensive linesman, so he is a big bugger, 6'6", 350lbs of all muscle and size 16 feet but still quick over 10-20 yards! I dont actually watch any american football except when I watch him, so what I know is that when its defense he usually plays right centre on the front line and when its attacked he plays 2nd from the right on the front line.... sorry I know thats a pants description. I am very proud of him so I'd love to talk all day about him, but when he told me about talks with the pro team he asked me specifically not to talk about it. Apparently the guy who runs this team is very sensitive to talk about approaching players and has cancelled deals because of it. I realise this is oneboro and its unlikely to filter back, but I did make him a promise. He's really excited especially to have this interest so early in his career (hes only 18), but the complication arrives in his contract with the university. As part of his scholarship he has to play 3 years of football for the university, and he is only a 1st year. Hopefully in a few years he will get his big move and I can shout it from the mountain tops! :D He's got a lot of hard work ahead of him, its unbelievably competitive in that sport, but he's got the talent.

These after game pics in the dressing room are becoming quite common of late

CfnTo-HXIAA5PIL.jpg

Michael Agazzi with the Shirt, Trousers and flip flops look

Nuge & Stuani look like they're making moves on De Sart :D

Listen, I don't mean to sound disrespectful, but I can see that you haven't played sport at a competitive level from this comment, so I don't think there's any point in continuing with this because I cant convince you of something that  I know but you don't believe in.

One thing to keep in mind is that if players, managers and experts generally say its hard to play 2 games a week for 4 weeks, you might want to consider that they know what they're talking about, even if you don't think that I do. Another thing is that AK WILL use the squad in this run of games, so if it annoys you so much, prepared to be quite irritated.

As long as we keep winning though, I'm sure we will all be happy as Larry. UTB

I've finished a night shift and played 90 minutes sunday league football 3 hours later, and then played Tuesday different levels yes, so no disrespect either.

Juan Mata is playing his 41st game for Man U today, you reckon Spurs or Leicester have any intention of resting Kane or Vardy as both teams go for the title, bearing in mind both have also been on International duty( I doubt it) while other players had a 2 week break.

On your take, play the same side Tuesday barring Adomah who should be rested after putting in a lot of effort in recent weeks.

Sunday league... Enough said

I'm in favour of the current rotation policy. We're going to be top on Tuesday, I hope, so it must be working! We also get less injuries now in comparison to previous managerial regimes. I don't have the stats but it certainly feels like we perform better in the second half, maybe that's down to fresher players

You must have played Sunday League football then, Steve Gibsons bulkhaul play in the Teesbrough 1st division, quite a few players have also been picked up for northern league football. Vardy came from non league football. I'll leave it at that.

I didn't think I had to specify this but no, I meant competitively as in as some kind of semi or fully professional capacity. Like how I played semi professional football and coached there after, like how my dad played Rugby semi professionally for England, like how my uncle played semi professional football and now runs the largest goalkeeping academy in North West America, like how my baby brother plays college football in the states (anyone who knows anything about NFL will understand) and has been approached by a professional club, like how my cousin plays for Cardiff, like how my mate Tommy played for Everton and England... like thats how I mean. Anything remotely comparable to the championship basically.

I bet my mate I could eat muffin in one bite on Tuesday, I wouldn't say I am a competitive eater. I also raced our lass to the lamppost this morning when we went for a run, yet I wouldn't class myself as a competitive runner.

Top and bottom of it is that I tried to be nice and patient with you and you nit picked my point into coming back with retorts that really didn't provide any substance to your arguments that players shouldn't get tired, so bluntly:

Players who play in professional sports will fatigue when faced with a large number of high intensity games in a short span of time, thus every now and again will need a rest. An extremely high number of experts who've played competitively (as in professionally) as well as people who practice medicine/sports science will agree upon this. We won the game and managed to rest some players in our busy schedule, that is good management. AK will continue to rotate since generally speaking he has a good track record of making that work. So if you're going to be upset each time you feel our best 11 isn't playing, you are going to be upset a bit. We wont win every game, and sometimes it just will not work, thats how sport works.

If its all the same to you Id rather not continue this argument any further as I honestly don't think you're making any interesting, valid or thought provoking points.

I made a point with regard to Stuani, playing on the right and that this effected the shape of the team, and that with regard to rest the players had a 4 day break before the next game, you were the one who resorted to the personal attack, stating I'd never played competitive sport, you were wrong, the debate was with regard to Stuani and resting players not my personal sporting career, if you want to spin it to suit yourself fair enough.

Incidentally Leicester have just played the last 13 games with the same starting 11 so it works for some.

The point you made was that Karanka got the team selection wrong, my point was that he managed to rest some players and we got the win, therefore he got it right. I stand by that.

I didn't realise saying that I could see you hadn't played competitive sport (i.e. pro or semi pro - where its your job) was a personal attack, it certainly wasn't meant that way so I am sorry that is how you have perceived it. My point is that I have, and my close Friends and family all have and some still do, one of which is in the championship. And using all that personal information as well as experts and sports scientists, the general consensus is that 8 games in 29 games is a lot and fatigues a player, so we will have to rotate, a policy that you've stated you disagree with since "they aren't doing royal marine assault courses between." I already said politely that even if you don't agree with me, you may want to consider all these experts opinions, thats all.

I don't feel Ive spun anything, as I've said, if you haven't played at what I consider a competitive level, which may be different to your definition, it may be hard to imagine why they get fatigued I guess. I called your sporting career into to debate because it is relevant to a persons understanding of the way players fatigue at this type of level. It wasn't meant as a personal attack, I felt it was a valid contribution to the discussion. You've made it clear that you have played at a competitive level by your definition, whatever that me be.

Leicester City's last 13 fixtures date back to January 16th, so I don't think that is a valid comparison. We aren't going to see eye to eye over this, basically you don't think players should need a rest and you've based that on whatever it is you've based it on. I do think we need to rotate players and I am sure we will. I've tried to end this conversation twice because I personally don't feel that you are providing anything to back up your argument so, if you do have some I would be really interested in hearing them, not to try to prove a point but because it is  genuine interest of mine. If you haven't then honestly mate, Id rather leave it and just say we disagree. Again sorry if you feel personally attacked, that is in no way how I was attempting to approach it, I'm passionate about my opinion and sometimes over blocks of text, that may come across in an unintended manner.

That's fair enough, we'll draw a line under it and move on, It is definitely nothing personal against you either, its a forum and we all differ on opinions whether we agree or not.

What college does your brother play for? And what team is interested? What position does he play?

Alright Brunners, he's a defensive linesman, so he is a big bugger, 6'6", 350lbs of all muscle and size 16 feet but still quick over 10-20 yards! I dont actually watch any american football except when I watch him, so what I know is that when its defense he usually plays right centre on the front line and when its attacked he plays 2nd from the right on the front line.... sorry I know thats a pants description. I am very proud of him so I'd love to talk all day about him, but when he told me about talks with the pro team he asked me specifically not to talk about it. Apparently the guy who runs this team is very sensitive to talk about approaching players and has cancelled deals because of it. I realise this is oneboro and its unlikely to filter back, but I did make him a promise. He's really excited especially to have this interest so early in his career (hes only 18), but the complication arrives in his contract with the university. As part of his scholarship he has to play 3 years of football for the university, and he is only a 1st year. Hopefully in a few years he will get his big move and I can shout it from the mountain tops! :D He's got a lot of hard work ahead of him, its unbelievably competitive in that sport, but he's got the talent.

That's pretty dope. Good luck to him!

That's pretty dope. Good luck to him!

Thanks mate, Im just trying to keep him grounded the best I can, but he's a good lad!

I think what this game showed is key Clayton and Leadbitter are - or rather 2 defensive midfielders. I really like Forshaw, but he wants to attack. Clayton and Leadbitter love to defend and pass the glory on.

If we were a different team with a different style, Forshaw would be a nailed on starter. Same as Butterfield. It's horses for courses.

This is why I think de Saet will be a key player going forward. Clearly bee brought in as the 2nd cover player in the middle.

The next challenge for the summer is to iron out the left hand side. It is not currently as effective as the right hand side.

I think the problem was that Grant (who had a great game btw) was wanting to push forward and he relies on Clayton to sit behind him to hold the fort. When he pushed forward, Forshaw was right there with him. We missed that strength for when we did lose the ball.

Sorry but hat's not the game I saw.  For most of the game we weren't pushing forward at all really. First chunk of the first half we weren't and pretty much all of the second half was the same.  The only time we were pushing forward was coincidentally our best spell of the game when we were the dominant side leading up to our goal and for the rest of the half after it.  The issues were that Leadbitter in particular was chasing shadows at times, they played quite direct so could circumvent our two midfielders anyway and seemed to focus either straight up the middle or slightly wider to get at our fullbacks.  The question should be what happened with us at half time that lead to them coming out and playing the way they did afterwards and why couldn't we respond to Preston's changes.  We won but that was a really unconvincing performance by the team and manager and I don't accept that it's just down to nerves because up until half time we didn't seem to have any at all.

We often don't respond too well when teams make tactical changes mid-match against us. Personally I don't think Karanka reads the game all that well (relative to some other more experienced managers). He's clearly a great defensive coach, but he's got areas in his management 'skillset' that need a good deal of improving. Making tactical substitutions that really have an impact on a game is one of those.

Could it be that they needed to score second half and we didn't you can look into things too deeply sometimes. It's sometimes just a case of human nature takes over

Leicester City's last 13 fixtures date back to January 16th, so I don't think that is a valid comparison. We aren't going to see eye to eye over this, basically you don't think players should need a rest and you've based that on whatever it is you've based it on. I do think we need to rotate players and I am sure we will. I've tried to end this conversation twice because I personally don't feel that you are providing anything to back up your argument so, if you do have some I would be really interested in hearing them, not to try to prove a point but because it is  genuine interest of mine. If you haven't then honestly mate, Id rather leave it and just say we disagree. Again sorry if you feel personally attacked, that is in no way how I was attempting to approach it, I'm passionate about my opinion and sometimes over blocks of text, that may come across in an unintended manner.

That's fair enough, we'll draw a line under it and move on, It is definitely nothing personal against you either, its a forum and we all differ on opinions whether we agree or not.

Sounds good to me mate, we're all here cos we are passionate about our club, onwards and upward for the Mighty Boro!

Karanka gets a lot of criticism for poor performances and him not being able to change the flow of the game but it's worth noting that with his tactics, even when we're playing badly and can't get hold of the ball, we're generally organised and resilient enough to not concede. We don't have to play well to win games. Maybe if he tries to make a positive change in order to try to wrestle back possession it could leave us more open and vulnerable to conceding. At home this season we've had many poor performances/halves but our home record speaks for itself - 20 games; 15 wins, 3 draw and 2 defeats. Which is best in the league. We've only conceded 6 goals in them games, which is staggering really, so clearly he's doing something right despite the poor performances and inability to change the flow of a game. I agree that we're capable of a lot better performances, but surely people can see that when we're so good at holding onto leads it would be naive to try something different.