oneBoro Forum

Top 3 remaining fixtures - Burnley and Boro promoted

Yes Tom.  

What quality do they have?  Seriously I'm asking because if they're anything other than average then they must have some quality so where and what is it?

I don't think the division is as good as last season, not even close in my opinion.  Look at some of our games against the lesser sides - if you didn't know who was near the top and who was near the bottom you'd never be able to tell from the games and it wasn't because they were great mate, it's because we definitely weren't.   The three teams that went up are better than each of the three that came down.  Ipswich, Brentford and Wolves who were all decent sides last season have fallen away.  Brighton improved and Sheff Wed improved but the likes of Cardiff and Birmingham who have all been serious shouts for the play offs aren't as good as the sides that missed out last year.  Even Sheff Wed wouldn't have finished top 6 last season in my opinion although they'd have been in the mix.  Fewer goals being scored in general have lead to some tighter games and average but reasonably well organised teams being able to nick points sometimes against the better sides who themselves don't have that much quality.  I would put Preston in that category certainly and there's nothing wrong with that because they get as much out of themselves as they can and that should be the aim for any team but are they a good side? Sorry I just don't see it.  Maybe I'm doing them a disservice I don't know.

I'm not saying they're better than average, but you seem to be writing off their chances just because you think they're nothing special. The qualities of the league in general are by-the-by, the fact is that Preston have given a good account of themselves all season. Brighton drew twice with them and they've beaten everyone else in the top 6, bar Derby and ourselves, who have both been held to a draw and won the other by one goal. They also knocked Watford out of the cup. So I'd argue that they aren't a mediocre side that we made look good, but a half-decent side that raise their game against the better clubs in the division, which is entirely relevant to their fixture this weekend.

As MMC says, they're well-drilled and will have eyes upwards rather than downwards next season, and will want to start that by beating not only a good Championship side, but a local rival.

• Replies 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

I'm not saying they're better than average, but you seem to be writing off their chances just because you think they're nothing special. The qualities of the league in general are by-the-by, the fact is that Preston have given a good account of themselves all season. Brighton drew twice with them and they've beaten everyone else in the top 6, bar Derby and ourselves, who have both been held to a draw and won the other by one goal. They also knocked Watford out of the cup. So I'd argue that they aren't a mediocre side that we made look good, but a half-decent side that raise their game against the better clubs in the division, which is entirely relevant to their fixture this weekend.

As MMC says, they're well-drilled and will have eyes upwards rather than downwards next season, and will want to start that by beating not only a good Championship side, but a local rival.

Firstly I didn't write off their chances. I said I don't see why Burnley can't get something there because Preston aren't all that - I didn't even say Burnley would beat them so what's the problem?

I did ask you where their quality was in fairness and you haven't come up with anything so why don't you do that instead of putting things in italics for no reason you daft bugger.  By the looks of it you don't think they're all that yourself  :P

As for the rest of it, Brighton have drawn quite a few games I think more away from home than at home mind.  They knocked Watford out of the cup but Watford weren't full strength in that one. They got knocked out of the FA Cup by Peterborough so maybe that means they aren't that good afterall - probably not but there you go.

I'd agree that they are a well drilled side, in fact I said as much myself.  But teams don't need to be much more than that to be a decent side in this division, I don't believe that means they're anything other than mediocre however.  Leeds are one place and one point behind them and they definitely are, same goes for QPR (two points and two places behind) and Brentford (three places and two points behind).  I don't think any of em are anything to write home about.

Sort of on topic, but while I sort of agree that the league as a whole is not as strong this year, I would say the four teams in the play offs are better this year than they were last year.

I felt confident we would beat Ipswich or Brentford last season - this year I wouldn't say I was confident against Sheff Weds, Hull or Derby - although I'm not writing us off against them either.

I think come Saturday 5 o'clock Brighton's goal difference will be level with ours, I honestly think they'll put 5 or 6 past Charlton. Burnley Preston will be interesting, perhaps a 1-1.

Doesn't matter what they do as long as we do our stuff. 

Are you a professional worry wort?   :rolleyes:

Sort of on topic, but while I sort of agree that the league as a whole is not as strong this year, I would say the four teams in the play offs are better this year than they were last year.

I felt confident we would beat Ipswich or Brentford last season - this year I wouldn't say I was confident against Sheff Weds, Hull or Derby - although I'm not writing us off against them either.

I think our game last season was suited perfectly to playing against Brentford.  I'm not sure I'd have fancied us as strongly against Ipswich even with the 4-1 win under our belt.  I think it was a tighter game than the scoreline suggested and a couple of moments of quality made the difference between a narrow win and what we eventually got.

Might I suggest that perhaps the reason you're less confident now is actually because we aren't as good as we were last season and that we aren't even as good as we were just four or five months ago? Is it just because of the other teams or is it maybe more about us because this season we've done the double over Sheff Wed, we've handily beaten Derby at home whilst nearly beating them at their place and only Hull really gave us a problem.

Am I the only one who literally cannot stop running over simulations of the next 3 games in my head?

I've actually become obsessed. Every other thought I have is about Boro. Nothing else matters to me right now besides Ipswich, dear me.

Still confident we're going to go up, as champions, and we'll win these last 3 games.

I think our game last season was suited perfectly to playing against Brentford.  I'm not sure I'd have fancied us as strongly against Ipswich even with the 4-1 win under our belt.  I think it was a tighter game than the scoreline suggested and a couple of moments of quality made the difference between a narrow win and what we eventually got.

Might I suggest that perhaps the reason you're less confident now is actually because we aren't as good as we were last season and that we aren't even as good as we were just four or five months ago? Is it just because of the other teams or is it maybe more about us because this season we've done the double over Sheff Wed, we've handily beaten Derby at home whilst nearly beating them at their place and only Hull really gave us a problem.

No, I strongly believe this season's team would beat last years team, if not comfortably and if not ten times out of ten, at least regularly enough to show that we're stronger this year.

We've 16 points from the last 18, so we're doing ok. If we hadn't had those aberrations against Rotherham and Charlton we'd have been all but promoted as Champions last night.

Might I suggest that perhaps the reason you're less confident now is actually because we aren't as good as we were last season

Probably warrants a thread but I feel it would get locked quickly (especially after I ask whether Downing has been a step up on Reach).

I think come Saturday 5 o'clock Brighton's goal difference will be level with ours, I honestly think they'll put 5 or 6 past Charlton. Burnley Preston will be interesting, perhaps a 1-1.

Doesn't matter what they do as long as we do our stuff. 

Are you a professional worry wort?   :rolleyes:

Nope I don't worry I leave that to others, no hard luck stories after 46 games, would be nice to have the better goal difference going into the last game against Brighton,just in case we didn't manage to win all 3.

That goal for Burnley is huge, look at their last three fixtures, they are practically promoted, it is going down to the final day, I just hope we dont need to beat Brighton as they are in fantastic form

That goal for Burnley is huge, look at their last three fixtures, they are practically promoted, it is going down to the final day, I just hope we dont need to beat Brighton as they are in fantastic form

You would only fancy Preston to be in with a shout against them, QPR and Charlton are dross.