oneBoro Forum

What's this 'nothing to play for' crap. I don't buy it.

Reading had nothing to play for and pushed us to the last kick of the game. Bolton already relegated, literally had nothing to play for and we needed a injury time winner. If that's what happens when you have nothing to play for I'll be happier playing Burnley and Brighton who do have something to play for, something to lose. Maybe nerves will kick in and they'll make errors.

I'm crapping myself about Tuesday as I am the prospect of going to Brum and trying to get a result.

Bottom line is we have 4 incredibly difficult matches coming up. But so do Burnley and Brighton because that's the way it is this time of the season.

Question is

Who blinks first :s

• Replies 693
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

Reading had nothing to play for and pushed us to the last kick of the game. Bolton already relegated, literally had nothing to play for and we needed a injury time winner. If that's what happens when you have nothing to play for I'll be happier playing Burnley and Brighton who do have something to play for, something to lose. Maybe nerves will kick in and they'll make errors.

I'm crapping myself about Tuesday as I am the prospect of going to Brum and trying to get a result.

Bottom line is we have 4 incredibly difficult matches coming up. But so do Burnley and Brighton because that's the way it is this time of the season.

Question is

We are in a fantastic position. 3 win out of our last 4 games and we are promoted mathematically. In seasons gone by we could have been promoted with our current points tally and on the odd year we could already be champions. I'll be happy with a scrappy old game again Burnley where we completely shut the game down and stop any football being played. A draw there would be a good result, a win would almost seal it.

Sorry, but before Rhodes scored yesterday he should have had 4 goals. In a game vs Bolton you'd expect better from him.

He proved me wrong which I'm glad about, but in the heat of the moment, he deserved his flop status.

He came close twice hit the post from an overhead kick and scored twice. I'm happy with any forward that does that

Like I said, in hindsight yes it was good that he scored twice. But you cant tell me you'd be happy with him missing 3 chances against Bolton if we hadnt got 3 points. At the time of writing, Rhodes hadnt scored a goal in the game, but missed the chances.

I've done a little math because I personally don't buy Brighton/Burnley winning the last 4 games. I think we need 2 wins from 4 games to secure it, to better it Brighton would need 4 wins and Burnley 3.

As long as we pick up a win v Ipswich and a point vs Burnley I think we're up. Brighton don't really impress me especially since we'll be the home team I think we'll beat them. The game I think we wont win is Birmingham away it's just a typical ground/occasion we usually lose.

I have also done a little maths and have calculated that if Boro Badger continues to the end of the season then we will be champions with 97 points, the icing on the cake would be Brighton to go up as second and both Hull and Burnley to lose in the play off's with Sheffield Wednesday to come up, oh and Newcastle and Blunderland to be relegated.

Sorry, but before Rhodes scored yesterday he should have had 4 goals. In a game vs Bolton you'd expect better from him.

He proved me wrong which I'm glad about, but in the heat of the moment, he deserved his flop status.

He came close twice hit the post from an overhead kick and scored twice. I'm happy with any forward that does that

Like I said, in hindsight yes it was good that he scored twice. But you cant tell me you'd be happy with him missing 3 chances against Bolton if we hadnt got 3 points. At the time of writing, Rhodes hadnt scored a goal in the game, but missed the chances.

At least he's getting the chances.

The only one he should have done better with was the first half header.

The second half header that went the wrong side of the post he was under huge pressure from the defender, then the over head kick wasn't even a chance. He just fashioned that out of absolutely nothing.

Rhodes was great yesterday even before his winner.

90 pts would do it. so 5 from 4 games.

As for Karanka, their is too much naivety in terms of not playing two up front. He tries to play too defensive sometimes and 1 up top doesn't work well for Rhodes, far too isolated.

Question is

I never said that our run in was easy, just to clarify. On paper, we have the hardest run in, luckily enough football isn't played on paper. If you'd read my previous posts I also said that we would fare better against the better teams, as we usually do, and struggle against teams such as Bolton.

A great win yesterday, and I'm confident we can go to Burnley and get a result.

Question is

Because we let them.

Even the best strikers in the world don't convert every single chance that they get. Just before Rhodes's overhead kick he should probably have let the ball run as Adomah was moving onto the ball and should have scored. That said though, it would have been fairly similar to his missed sidefooted shot early in the second half of the Reading match so he could well have missed again.

At least he's getting the chances.

The only one he should have done better with was the first half header.

The second half header that went the wrong side of the post he was under huge pressure from the defender, then the over head kick wasn't even a chance. He just fashioned that out of absolutely nothing.

Rhodes was great yesterday even before his winner.

I guess we will agree to disagree on the situation. I think Rhodes was average (before his goals) and a flop in the sense you'd expect a £9m striker to do better. But it doesnt matter because he scored two goals when we needed it most. So, like I said, after his goals I retracted my statement.