• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

in the system we play, Bamford every day of the week.

Really? I accept that Bamford scored one or two goals that he kind of created himself, which Rhodes hasn't done yet. However, I think Rhodes' work rate, and his movement, and the balls he wins if/when it's pumped forward are all better than Bamford's.

Anyway... as the other poster pointed out, JR is our player rather than PB a loanee... so Rhodes every time!!!

COME ON BORO -  we can do this!!!

I can't believe members are discussing a man who doesn't want to play for us against a man who it seems did everything in his power to come here - and I get accused of posting crap by certain members. At the time of transfers I thought Bamford was the better option both finacially and he has proven he can play in our system but I saw against Reading JR was doing everything right its just our players weren't reading his runs. Saturday proved his persistance and our players starting to understand his way of play is beginning to work, so  I'd say yes to Bamford in Jan if he wanted to play for us but a massive yes to the man who got us three massive points on Sat and wants to play for the Boro.  I genuinely think we can beat Burnley - we have the firepower and the players, the team spirit looks great, to see the players huggin each other and the elation says everything to me. A nervous  2-0 to the Boro!!!!

I don't see why their respective "desire" to play for us makes any difference in assessing their merits as footballers in our system?

Well we might as well discuss every player that dosen't play for the Boro and how they'd fit in our system then because the reason he isn't playing in our system is because he doesn't want to play for us - I think McCormack would have suited us better and it looked like he fancied coming but got priced out but I don't see what that has to do with us.,we were in for him too,with so why is Bamford even mentioned on  the Burnley match thread? Rhodes 'clicked' on Saturday, got us three points so now is the time to discuss whether PB would be better than him on this thread? Personally I think you should be able to duiscuss anything you want Boro related on here but  he isn't Boro related (no more than any other non Boro player) so I don't see the relevance thats all. I suppose someone could start a pointless thread titled '' now Rhodes is hitting the net who can't we buy who would be better for us ''?  and it could be debated there?

It's totally relevant, Bamford was the club's number 1 choice and we didn't sign him.

There are so few posts on this forum compared with other fan forums, it really isn't a good idea to start advising people what they should and shouldn't post and in which thread. There are so few threads on here, it's like a ghost town.

I'd play same team except that i'd play Nugent up top. I think he'd be more suited to the hussle and bussle.

I understand what you are saying, but after Rhodes just bagged two goals I don't want him dropped. I don't think we will get many chances against a good Burnley side and I just think that Rhodes' finishing ability is superiour to Nugents. Rhodes' confidence will be sky high and we have to exploit that. People say that he scores in streaks, so now is not the time to drop him. He works hard too and isn't light weight so he will work their defenders.

I'd play same team except that i'd play Nugent up top. I think he'd be more suited to the hussle and bussle.

I agree Nugent is usually more suited to play these sort of games. However, do you think there's any merit in Rhodes being preferred due to who we're playing. As an ex Blackburn player, I'm sure he'd be extra fired up to score against Burnley.

It's totally relevant, Bamford was the club's number 1 choice and we didn't sign him.

There are so few posts on this forum compared with other fan forums, it really isn't a good idea to start advising people what they should and shouldn't post and in which thread. There are so few threads on here, it's like a ghost town.

Just to derail this thread even more :P , have you revised your prediction of only needing one more win Billy? Surely more points now required with the other two continuing to pick up points..

EDIT: just saw your post on the appropriate thread! Ignore me.

Nugent was a real positive when he came on against Bolton but I would stick with Rhodes, his two goals will have done his confidence the world of good. If this ends up being a back to the walls stuff where we have limited chances we need our best finisher playing. The longer it goes on 0-0 I would then be tempted to bring on Nugent, for one of the attacking mids (not Rhodes), to see whether we can nick it.

fair reasoning Dane. It's fine margins and i'm sure we'd be fine with both up top...Nugent has had some big impacts off the bench so it might not be a bad idea to stick with that formula.

Bamford played for us. Surely you can see the relevance of comparing the two?

Yes I can actually, I'm pretty happy to discuss strikers who played for us compared to who we have or might have got, get a thread going and I will happily contribute. If we are just comparing the two I think its a hard one, on historical form Rhodes is way ahead of him, for the Boro Bamford  is obviously better due to the amount of games oplayed and adaptation to our system. Did I have doubts Rhodes could play in our system? Yes I did, but as a fan as soon as I know someone doesn't want to play for us then I'm not interested in them or what they could have brought to us. But if we go up then it could become an even more relevant debate to me - would Bamford want to come then? Would we want Bamford if he chose to come then? I really think we need our midfeilders to stop looking wide every time they get the ball, where we were on Tuesday the amount of times you could see Rhodes on the centre halfs shoulder with a lovely 4-5 yard gap screaming for a quick through ball and then a player standing on it, looking wide and pushing out for Adomah or Friend to crtoss it to Rhodes who now has three men round him. I think we need to adapt to him as much as he needs to adapt to us.

Just to derail this thread even more :P , have you revised your prediction of only needing one more win Billy? Surely more points now required with the other two continuing to pick up points..

EDIT: just saw your post on the appropriate thread! Ignore me.

Unfortunately, yes, it looks like this season, teams are going to need an unprecidented number of points for promotion. If we beat Burnley, we'll be very close to promotion and on 88 points, if we don't; I still see the Brighton game as our get out of jail card, in theory if we win 1 more game, our fate will be in our own hands on the last game of the season.

That is of course, assuming that our rivals win all of their other remaining games. 91 points has to be the target, now, I'd take a draw against Burnley as things stand.

I know what you mean but it's been said loads that rohdes is a confidence /run player. Well for the first time with us he has confidence and is on a run. I don't think now is the time to drop him

I agree Nugent is usually more suited to play these sort of games. However, do you think there's any merit in Rhodes being preferred due to who we're playing. As an ex Blackburn player, I'm sure he'd be extra fired up to score against Burnley.

But on the flip side, Nuge is an ex-Burnley player (not to mention Preston hero) and will want to score against them.

We can win this game, but we have to be more tactically savvy than we were at Bolton. Our two full backs bombed forward all day and left the centre halves totally exposed at times because Bolton left players forward which dragged our midfielders backwards to cover and the whole balance of the side suffered. Where was the bank of four defenders with the two midfielders moving forward and backwards as a unit, at times it looked like schoolboy stuff out there. First and foremost tomorrow we must get back to defending like we know we can and stop creating the gaps between our defence, midfield and forwards. Ayala and Gibson are going to be pivotal in this game as Burnley throw long balls into the box at the first opportunity and they must be headed strongly away or the pressure will build and build.

But on the flip side, Nuge is an ex-Burnley player (not to mention Preston hero) and will want to score against them.

Well lets play them both then. :D