• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Doesn't he regularly swap strikers late in the game? I think the fact we'd had to make two enforced subs for injuries probably prevented it happening last night as we couldn't risk ending up playing with 10 men.

Listening on the radio, Maddo was constantly pleading for Nugent to come on for Rhodes for the last 10 minutes as Rhodes looked tired and couldn't press any more. Did anyone at the game see this and want this change too?

It was the only change I would've made from what happened last night. Once we'd got the goal I'd have brought Nugent on straight away to press from the front.

Karanka pretty much never does that.... sadly.

Rhodes pressed from the front all night and he did a brillaint job of it.

I thought it would have been prudent to bring on Nugent and said so at the time but hey we can not pick all day long as it does not change things.

I guess what it really highlights is the way we dealt with some of the games before the countdown begun, that's where any damage was done

I was shouting to the radio before Maddo even mentioned to get Nugent on.

Unfortunately for Aitor though, like he said in the post-match interview, he was a bit limited in the changes he could make because he had to bring off Friend and Ramirez through injury. He had to choose between holding on by sticking an extra defender on and hoping the extra presence could take them through or sticking Nugent on to give us an outlet and not inviting so much pressure.

I went along with it when he did make the change but in hindsight, I think Nugent would have been the better option. We invited too much pressure on and for a team known for scoring scrappy goals and being quite successful from set-pieces, we let them do it even more by keeping Rhodes on. Nugent is more than capable of defending set-pieces as well.

If Ramirez is injured for Saturday, it might be time to try out the 4-4-2 with Stuani and Nugent/Rhodes, though I fully expect it to be Downing shifted into the middle with Adomah left and Stuani right. Downing's certainly seemed better back in the middle from the Reading and Bolton games.

Listening on the radio, Maddo was constantly pleading for Nugent to come on for Rhodes for the last 10 minutes as Rhodes looked tired and couldn't press any more. Did anyone at the game see this and want this change too?

It was the only change I would've made from what happened last night. Once we'd got the goal I'd have brought Nugent on straight away to press from the front.

Karanka literally almost always does that.

Ditto. Normally does

I was shouting to the radio before Maddo even mentioned to get Nugent on.

Unfortunately for Aitor though, like he said in the post-match interview, he was a bit limited in the changes he could make because he had to bring off Friend and Ramirez through injury. He had to choose between holding on by sticking an extra defender on and hoping the extra presence could take them through or sticking Nugent on to give us an outlet and not inviting so much pressure.

I went along with it when he did make the change but in hindsight, I think Nugent would have been the better option. We invited too much pressure on and for a team known for scoring scrappy goals and being quite successful from set-pieces, we let them do it even more by keeping Rhodes on. Nugent is more than capable of defending set-pieces as well.

If Ramirez is injured for Saturday, it might be time to try out the 4-4-2 with Stuani and Nugent/Rhodes, though I fully expect it to be Downing shifted into the middle with Adomah left and Stuani right. Downing's certainly seemed better back in the middle from the Reading and Bolton games.

I really don't see him switching formation at this stage of the season. Stick with what you know to avoid any uncertainty because uncertainty brings added pressure.

Ditto. Normally does

He always makes a like for like switch between Rhodes and Nugent. Agreed. That wasn't what I was meaning.

I was saying that when we go a goal ahead, Karanka (we) seem to be happy to then sit back and invite pressure on, rather than continuing to press high, trying to maintain the attacking pressure.

It took him until 70 odd minutes to take off a clearly broken Bamford in a similar situation against Norwich last year, not surprised rhodes played all game.

You are a bitter man. Talking about Last years playoff final.

It took him until 70 odd minutes to take off a clearly broken Bamford in a similar situation against Norwich last year, not surprised rhodes played all game.

You are a bitter man. Talking about Last years playoff final.

I wasn't talking about the playoff final...

I was talking about the game away at Norwich where we were 1-0 up away from home, under the kosh and Bamford had done his ankle in.

I'll accept your apology this time but please stop jumping down my throat when you don't even know what I'm talking about.

Ditto. Normally does

He always makes a like for like switch between Rhodes and Nugent. Agreed. That wasn't what I was meaning.

I was saying that when we go a goal ahead, Karanka (we) seem to be happy to then sit back and invite pressure on, rather than continuing to press high, trying to maintain the attacking pressure.

Yes I get your point, I never quite get how games change so much towards the end or at least the whold dynamics. I guess it is inevitable bordering on unavoidable if a team risks all seeking a goal thus as you say why are we not further up the pitch......to me it's a chicken .....egg situation. That's why I am only a fan and no expert certainly on this point.