oneBoro Forum

Boro v Burnley (A) 1-1

Long ball Burnley.

I'd be embarrassed if I was a Burnley player, manager of fan if my team were making  85 long ball passes per game (almost one every minute). You have to be really poor at this level if you can't get the ball on the ground and pass it around. At League two level it's forgivable because players aren't as good and neither are pitches but if Burnley go up after fluking a draw because they pumped the ball forward 85 times and got lucky with one of them then they'll be straight back down when they come up against 19 passing, footballing sides like us in the Premier League. They're an embarrassment to football.

4KuVyax.png

Ah, a fellow statistics fan I see. Welcome. :)

Now I appreciate a fact filled, satirical post (with just a hint of rancor) as much as the next man, however I feel your sample size is too small my friend. Let's take a more representative look at the passing statistics over the whole season...

Screenshot_2016-04-20-21-13-17-1_zpsl9cok657.png

Screenshot_2016-04-20-21-13-09-1-1_zpsyhj1rr6b.png

Let's also not forget that we switch the play with long diagonal balls a lot of the time. Anybody watching the game last night would've told you that Burnley are more of a long ball team than us, we completely nullified it because Ayala and Gibbo had their ball magnet caps on their heads. Our occasional long balls worked because Rhodes was bossing their centre backs, so we continued to do it along with our long switches from side to side.

• Replies 898
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Obviously, but the point was that it came from a set piece and that doesn't have much to do with us sitting back. It sounded like we defended well from open play but were undone by a set piece.

Don't corners quite often come as a result of sitting back?

Just sayin'

That particular corner was the result of a world class interception from Gibson, which I think was brought on by us sitting back and not getting out.

Plus I think bringing off Downing for Kalas was a big example that we had decided sitting back was going to be our tactic for the remainder of the game. Or else we'd have brought Nugent on like we should have to run down the clock at the other end. We had no outlet so we had to keep giving the ball away and against a team like Burnley, that was going to bite us in the *** 9 times out of 10.

We are good at soaking up pressure generally but if you invite it, you're just asking for trouble.

Obviously, but the point was that it came from a set piece and that doesn't have much to do with us sitting back. It sounded like we defended well from open play but were undone by a set piece.

Just sayin'

That particular corner was the result of a world class interception from Gibson, which I think was brought on by us sitting back and not getting out.

Plus I think bringing off Downing for Kalas was a big example that we had decided sitting back was going to be our tactic for the remainder of the game. Or else we'd have brought Nugent on like we should have to run down the clock at the other end. We had no outlet so we had to keep giving the ball away and against a team like Burnley, that was going to bite us in the *** 9 times out of 10.

We are good at soaking up pressure generally but if you invite it, you're just asking for trouble.

Didn't Kalas come on after the goal regardless, making that argument redundant.

Just sayin'

He did, I made that point yesterday, but was told that wasn't relevant to the argument.

Just sayin'

He did, I made that point yesterday, but was told that wasn't relevant to the argument.

The timings registered on BBC report seem to suggest that he came on after but I was certain he didn't come on after the goal, could have swore it.

Now I'm 100% certain he didn't! Watch the replay, he was on the pitch when the goal was scored! He was marking Ashley Barnes at the corner and was playing right-back in the lead up to the corner, look at the highlights:

I thought it was a good few minutes before, as well, with like 4-5 minutes of normal time to go. That might be wrong but like you can see, definitely a substitution made before the goal or even corner was conceded.

But it's incredible because every single report you find says the same thing, so someone royally cocked up there and has registered the substitution event late, so then all the news outlets have taken that in late. Checked BBC, Sky, WhoScored, they all say the same thing, that the sub was made straight after the goal.

Someone on Twitter said 2 games out for Friend. No idea where they've got that from or whether it's legit.

I imagine Ramirez will be fine for Saturday